Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mackanin to the Yankees

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Mackanin to the Yankees

http://mets.scout.com/a.z?s=228&p=2&c=717970

Mackanin Hired By Yankees
    Tyler Hissey
    RaysDigest.comJan 8, 2008

Pete Mackanin, the Cincinnati Reds’ interim manager for the final months of 2007, accepted a job as a scout with the New York Yankees on Monday afternoon. Mackanin enjoyed success after replacing Jerry Narron, and hoped to remain as the Reds’ full-time manager. The Cincinnati organization, however, instead opted to employ a proven manager with more experience, signing veteran skipper Dusty Baker.

Pete Mackanin, the Cincinnati Reds’ interim manager for the final months of 2007, accepted a job as a scout with the New York Yankees on Monday afternoon. Mackanin, who replaced Jerry Narron after he was fired on July 1, hoped to remain as the Reds’ full-time manager. The Cincinnati organization, however, instead opted to employ a proven manager with more experience, signing veteran skipper Dusty Baker in early-October. Mackanin, disappointed by the Reds’ decision, was offered a position to remain on in Cincinnati, but refused, saying that it was in his best interest to move on.

After playing for five different teams in a nine-year major league career, Mackanin has spent the last two decades coaching in the minor leagues. Following a two-year stint managing the Nashville Sounds, he was hired as the bench coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates prior to spring training in 2003. Two years later, when Pittsburgh fired Lloyd McClendon, he earned his first shot to manage at baseball’s highest level, guiding the Pirates to a 12-14 record.

His next move brought him to Cincinnati, originally serving as an advanced scout, similar to the position he will fulfill in New York. But in the aftermath of the Cincinnati’s dismal first-half—51 losses, the highest total in all of Major League Baseball—he helped right the ship, keeping the Reds’ nucleus motivated as the franchise finished two games over .500 (41-39) under Mackanin’s leadership.

Due to the Reds’ second-half success, Mackanin was serious considered to stay, according to Cincinnati general manager Wayne Krivsky, who remains Mackanin’s close friend. But by adding Baker—a move met with mixed reactions in baseball circles, due to Baker’s poor track record of handling young pitchers, evidenced by his experience with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood during his time with Chicago—though, the Reds gain a marketable leader in the dugout popular with players. While many have questioned the signing, citing the need for a conservative manger who will treat the arms of top pitching prospects Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto and Travis Woods delicately, he also handles veterans well, instantly commanding respect in the clubhouse. In addition, the hire was strongly endorsed by fan favorite outfielder Ken Griffey Jr.

In Mackanin, 56, though, New York, who has been courting him since the winter meetings in Nashville, adds another excellent talent evaluator to its baseball operations department.

“We had a nice discussion,” Mackanin said Monday of the Yankees’ interest. "Fortunately they were looking for somebody, and I fit the bill."

Before he retires, however, he wants to return to the dugout some day. Whether or not his wish is ever fulfilled, of course, is still up in the air.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=334369
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- Pete Mackanin, who ended last season as the Cincinnati Reds interim manager, has taken a job with the New York Yankees as a major league scout.

Mackanin was Cincinnati's advance scout when manager Jerry Narron was fired on July 1. He got the job on an interim basis, and was hoping to stay on as manager. Instead, the club hired Dusty Baker on Oct. 13.

It was the second time that the 56-year-old Mackanin managed in the majors on an interim basis. He also led Pittsburgh for the last 26 games in 2005 after Lloyd McClendon was fired.

The Yankees expressed an interest in Mackanin after baseball's winter meetings in December.

"We had a nice discussion," Mackanin said Monday, in a phone interview. "Fortunately they were looking for somebody, and I fit the bill."

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky made an open-ended offer to Mackanin after he was passed over for the managing job in Cincinnati. The two are close friends, but Mackanin felt it was best to move on.

"We never got into specifics, really," Mackanin said. "It's all about timing. If nothing had come up (with another team), I think Wayne would have had something available for me. But we never got around to exactly what that was.

"I enjoyed my time with the Reds. I was just hoping it wouldn't be too awkward if I went back there."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mackanin to the Yankees

He's gone to the dark side
    Go Gators!

Good to hear.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I would take that job personally. Being a manager might be glamorous but its alot of stress for too little security.

A scout job is much easier to do, pays well (yankees pay well i assume) and don't demand a high amount of your sanity.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

He really belongs on the field. You take what you can get. Jobs are scarce.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I wish he and Dusty had their jobs reversed.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?