Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rockies Sign Giles To Minor League Deal

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Rockies Sign Giles To Minor League Deal

Article

DENVER -- The Colorado Rockies announced this afternoon that the club has agreed to a minor league contract with infielder Marcus Giles for the 2008 Championship Season. The deal includes a major league spring training invitation. Financial terms were not disclosed, per club policy.

Giles, 29, batted .229 (96-for-420) in 116 games with the Padres last season, his first year with San Diego. The seven-year major league veteran appeared in 112 games (106 starts) at second base last year, logging a career-best .987 fielding percentage. Additionally, his 19 doubles in 2007 left him only one shy of posting his fifth consecutive 20-double season.

Giles spent the first six seasons of his career with the Braves (2001-06), where he established himself as one of the premiere offensive second baseman in the National League. His 49 doubles in 2003 set a modern Braves franchise record and his .316 average that season was the highest ever recorded by an Atlanta second baseman. He was selected as the starting N.L second baseman for the 2003 All-Star Game and finished the season with a career-best 21 home runs. Giles also appeared in 20 postseason games with the Braves from 2001-05.

A 53rd-round selection in the 1996 June draft by the Braves, Giles owns a .277 (813-for-2934) lifetime average with 76 home runs, 187 doubles and 333 RBI. With 163 doubles since the start of 2003, his total ranks 4th among big league second baseman in the last five years.

Last season, Giles hit .526 (10-for-19) with two doubles in five games at Coors Field. His average was the highest at the ball park among players with at least 20 plate appearances in 2007.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Rockies Sign Giles To Minor League Deal

I was hoping the Reds would pursue Giles who could benefit from GABP offensively and especially on a minor league deal. Would of been one of those bargain deals Krivsky seems to make every year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I was hoping the Reds would pursue Giles who could benefit from GABP offensively and especially on a minor league deal. Would of been one of those bargain deals Krivsky seems to make every year.
    I doubt that there would be a place for him to play. Also, I think there were some off field issues that have affected him and led to his decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Redny View Post
    I doubt that there would be a place for him to play. Also, I think there were some off field issues that have affected him and led to his decline.
    Yea, those things really needled him.

Juice?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Juice?
    Not the 100% juice kind either
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?