• Chris Dickerson

40 47.62%
  • Justin Turner

44 52.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #25 runoff

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #25 runoff

In the past we have had a runoff if there were two or more players within 3 votes of eachother. Chris Dickerson and Justin Turner are within 2 votes right now, so we will give this one two days, or until someone takes a substantial lead.

Make your pick between the two of these guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #25 runoff

I think Dickerson doesn't make good contact, and it will become worse after he sees MLB pitching. Also, I believe his defensive abilities are exaggerated. Turner, on the other hand, is very underrated as a result of not having any skills that jump out as stellar--he's just moderately skilled at everything (which says a lot, seeing as how second base is such an offensively-weak position). All in all, Justin Turner was an easy choice for me (as he has been for the past few votes).

Dickerson should have been off the board awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Doesn't make contact. Turner is more likely to stick in the major leagues someday, albeit in a utility role.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Dickerson's never been known for his stick, but he can certainly track a ball off the bat, and run it down while he's tracking it.

I would have thought his defensive ability alone would have taken him off the board between 10 and 20, but here he still is @ 25.

With his contact issues I think he is going to have a tough time sticking on a MLB roster for any extended period of time. He will most likely get a couple of looks but I don't see too many organizations showing a lot of patience with him at the big league level. Barring a significant injury to the big league roster he will most likely be given 40-50 at bat windows as auditions and he would have too really show something in the field or on the basepaths to stick. As an overall athlete he could warrant a spot higher on a prospect list but I like Turner a little better at this point.
    Last edited by Orenda; 01-09-2008 at 05:34 PM.

At this point in the list I'm weighting ceiling really heavily, because nobody left is likely to make an impact in the next 2 years. That takes me to Turner.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Dickerson's never been known for his stick, but he can certainly track a ball off the bat, and run it down while he's tracking it.

I would have thought his defensive ability alone would have taken him off the board between 10 and 20, but here he still is @ 25.
    Speed, Eye, Developing Power, and Defense. He has by far the most potentional of anyone left.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Dickerson doesn't make good contact, and it will become worse after he sees MLB pitching. Also, I believe his defensive abilities are exaggerated. Turner, on the other hand, is very underrated as a result of not having any skills that jump out as stellar--he's just moderately skilled at everything (which says a lot, seeing as how second base is such an offensively-weak position). All in all, Justin Turner was an easy choice for me (as he has been for the past few votes).
    Anything to back that up?

Anything to back that up?
    No, I don't. It's just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. A few specific people on RedsZone have hyped Dickerson up to be better than 99% of MLB center fielders defensively, but for me, personally, I'd put him no better than in the top 10-20%. If I come up with something objective to back that up, I'll let you know.

Speed, Eye, Developing Power, and Defense. He has by far the most potentional of anyone left.
    All that is meaningless if his bat speed is below avg., at least as it pertains to ceiling. His potential is outstanding if that's not the case, but my guess is that's exactly the case or he would have arrived in the bigs some time ago and with quite a bit more hype.

W/O the bat speed he is a late inning defender/pinch runner. Turner OTOH has the potential to be a valuable utility man at the least and an avg starter at best. Sure Dickerson's talent is much better overall but if you lack the ability to hit consistently you are likely to spend more time in AAA than the bigs in your career.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

From all scouting reports I have seen, from multiple different sources, Dickerson is absolutely legit in centerfield.

Dickerson

Turner #25
    Dickerson #26

and let's move on to #27.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPlaya View Post
    Turner #25
    Dickerson #26

and let's move on to #27.
    doesn't work that way because maybe the Turner voters like Justin Reed or something and then he would get more votes than Dickerson.

Turn Off Ads?