Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carroll interested in Falcons opening

Carroll interested in Falcons opening

Sources: USC's Carroll interested in Falcons' opening

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 9, 2008, 2:38 PM ET

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

I haven't seen this posted yet so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carroll interested in Falcons opening

I predict that in the very near future, USC will announce that Pete Carroll has agreed to a renegotiated contract that includes a more generous compensation package.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I predict that in the very near future, USC will announce that Pete Carroll has agreed to a renegotiated contract that includes a more generous compensation package.

Who knows, if Arthur hands him a blank (haha) check, anything is possible.

Go for it Pete, it didn't work last time and tons of college coaches have crashed and burned in the NFL, but cash rocks
    Go Gators!

USC AD says not true, but for all college football fans, i beg with you Pete..... GO !!! im tired of the ESPN/USC hype. Maybe it will change the perception of the Falcons by ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

I think you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I hear USC is going to declare for the NFL draft. The whole team, coaching staff, cheerleaders, everybody. You know... since they're the only elite NCAA program right now.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 01-09-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Dolphins would have been a better gig than the Falcons.

Eh, just means Steve Sarkisian becomes the next head coach and USC just keeps on rolling.

Pete Carroll is just a figurehead at USC, Sarkisian does the bulk of the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This same rumor comes up every year (mostly made up) and nothing ever happens.

Cash is cash but Carroll makes a nice living in LA and is pretty much the only act in town. USC has the stage to themselves with no NFL team (and not likely to get one soon) and UCLA playing like a MAC team. They pretty much have their choice of any recruit they want. I think he'd be silly to jump into the cesspool that's named the NFL. Give it five more years Pete and retire a legend. Then soak up some rays on the beach and attend Hollywood premires----nice life, that.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Cash is cash but Carroll makes a nice living in LA and is pretty much the only act in town. USC has the stage to themselves with no NFL team (and not likely to get one soon) and UCLA playing like a MAC team. They pretty much have their choice of any recruit they want. I think he'd be silly to jump into the cesspool that's named the NFL. Give it five more years Pete and retire a legend. Then soak up some rays on the beach and attend Hollywood premires----nice life, that.

Rem

Especially considering Pete's lack of success in his previous NFL stint and the lack of success of college coaches who have been NFL head coaches.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I found a reference on one of the UT message boards basically saying that the new Reggie Bush book "Tainted Heisman" is supposed to come out here in a few months and PC might pick this as a good time to exit USC

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I hear USC is going to declare for the NFL draft. The whole team, coaching staff, cheerleaders, everybody. You know... since they're the only elite NCAA program right now.
    How about USC vs NE Patriots ?
    That would be Colin Cowherd's dream game right there !

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Especially considering Pete's lack of success in his previous NFL stint and the lack of success of college coaches who have been NFL head coaches.
    Maybe Pete should coach the Falcons. Bowling Green could use the help after that debacle Sunday night against Tulsa.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?