Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purported Red-Bedard offers/rumors, from the ORG...

Purported Red-Bedard offers/rumors, from the ORG...

More from MLBTradeRumors.com -
    Quote:
    UPDATE, 1-09-08 at 9:07pm: Rosenthal checks in with an update. If the Mariners would give up Chris Tillman, they could have a done deal. Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein ranks the 19 year-old righty as Seattle's second best prospect, giving him a number two starter ceiling. Rosenthal confirms that Jones is the centerpiece, while George Sherrill and Carlos Triunfel are in play.

Meanwhile, Jason Churchill of Prospect Insider says on the right-hand sidebar of this page that the Reds might step up their offer in an attempt to make a late play. He thinks they could give up Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto, and a fourth player, which would be absurd.

Here's the Prospect Insider story with new info:

Quote:
    I am hearing that the Cincinnati Reds might be falling for this "M's-Orioles Trade Talks Heating Up" thing and might have internally agreed to include Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto and a fourth player, possibly a young player from their 25-man roster.

That deal, depending on the fourth player, might be enough to trump any deal the Seattle Mariners are willing to make with Baltimore.

Update: The player Baltimore is asking for as the fourth player is thought to be 3B Edwin Encarnacion. In order for this to make any sense, the O's would have to trade current 3B Melvin Mora, perhaps back to the Reds to give Cincy a starter at the hot corner. But Mora is due $16.5 million over the next two seasons and would have to waive a no-trade clause.

The Reds would want cash to be included, and are almost certain to ask for a little bit more in terms of talent - perhaps a lower level prospect to offset the Mora-Encarnacion thing, or, if Mora is not of interest, even for a low salary, Baltimore may have to toss the Reds a bone.

Bailey, Cueto, Votto, and EdE

That's freakin' HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!

I would be Screaming from the Rafters if we "JUST" traded Bailey, Cueto and Votto for him.
    Unless he signed a 2+year extension - probably have to be 4 to Sedate me - I don't like it ONE BIT.

I'm the only guy who seems to value Votto and didn't want him traded, but to even INFER that they might include EdE is OUT-RAGEOUS!!! Melvin Mora? EXPENSIVE, OLD, etc...

ME NO LIKEY!!
    :all_cohol: :runawaycr:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Purported Red-Bedard offers/rumors, from the ORG...

That trade had better not happen. If it does,look forward to a LONG year.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

That is entirely too much to pay to rent a player for a couple of years. Yes, the top of the pitching staff would be improved, but with EE, Votto and Hamilton gone, the offense is significantly gutted. Add in the possibility of what Bailey and Cueto could become, and it's clear that kind of trade would be about as one-sided as any in recent history.

Pass.

I hope to God Krivsky isn't that stupid to trade away Bailey, Cueto, Votto and a 4th (possibly EdE?). I hope it's only a writer's opinion and not something he heard from a Reds source. If that's what it takes to get Bedard, let the M's have him.

I almost hope it happens so that we can justify firing Wayne and Dusty and starting over, maybe bringing back a real GM, Dan O'Brien.

Krivsky isnt stupid, he would not make that deal unless ownership is giving him the ok to have like 120 million payroll.

Krivsky has kind of a track record of overpaying: Cormier, the Kearns-Lopez deal, Stanton, Castro, David Ross, arguably Gonzalez, maybe Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Krivsky has kind of a track record of overpaying: Cormier, the Kearns-Lopez deal, Stanton, Castro, David Ross, arguably Gonzalez, maybe Cordero.
    and has a track record of underpaying

If this proposal is anything close to what the Reds are actually offering (which I seriously doubt) than it might be for a lot more than Bedard. I could see Roberts, a solid reliever (salary relief), and a prospect coming back the Reds way, with the Reds sending an extra C prospect or two.

It could work. Roberts could move to 1st or 3rd and the bullpen would be strengthened. Actually with Roberts included the offense may not really see a drop-off (assuming Votto AND EE aren't included).

Obviously, this all depends on what the Mariners are really offering, which I doubt is as high as reported.
    Pathei mathos...

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    we gave up essentially nothing for castro and ross.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10 View Post
    we gave up essentially nothing for castro and ross.
    hes talking money

HAX PLX BAN

I swear, if that deal goes down, then any progress this club has made is instantly gone. We are not the Yankees. We cannot afford to just buy FAs every year to fill holes.

Cueto, Bailey, and Votto would be far too much. Adding EE to that is just ridiculous. Seriously, if Krivsky's that stupid just pay me a whole lot less money and I'll GM the Reds. I promise that I can't possibly do any more harm than that deal.

That deal would never happen, Krivsky isn't that stupid.

I would relax. This is just a rumor with no sources named, from a guy who writes a blog about the Mariners. Remember when another similar guy said that the Reds were offering Bruce and the that turned out to be completely wrong?

John Fay, a real reporter, has been reporting all along that the only offer he heard about coming from the Reds for Bedard was Votto and a bunch of second tier prospects. Which makes sense. Votto is > or= to Adam Jones, and Sherrill and Carlos Triunfel are second tier guys.

Fay has also reported that WK is really hesitant to give up even one of four young ptichers, let alone two.

This rumor has less credibility than Rafael Palmeiro statement to Congress.

Turn Off Ads?