Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you want the Reds to stand pat on the rotation?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go into spring training with these starters

18 31.58%
  • Sign a free agent

29 50.88%
  • Make a trade

16 28.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Should the Reds stand pat on their rotation?

Should the Reds stand pat on their rotation?

John Fay reported today he thinks the Reds will stand pat on their rotation, and go into spring training with the starters they have. My question is what would you like them to do- stay with the starters they have, make a trade,and/ or sign a free agent. I will now open up the poll. I voted to sign a free agent, as I think we could use Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 01-10-2008 at 06:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds stand pat on their rotation?

There is no free agents worth signing so yes i want them to stand pat.

Sounds like the trade market is a sellers market and/or everyone is demanding too much from us.

Probably should stand pat. My vote's still out untill spring training though.

I say sign a FA to a reasonable deal and keep the prospects.

I voted to make a trade.I would love to see the Reds get a Bedard,Blanton,Lee,or Capuano(SP).Bedard and Blanton may cost to much.But I believe Lee would come in at a reasonable rate and be a good 3rd starter.

I don't think Colon or Livan would be great additions to the rotation. However, they would be great role models/mentors to Volquez or Cuerto if one or both would make the big club.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm not all that enthused about the FA pitchers this year and I'm also not on board with any of the wacky trade ideas I've seen around the 'net lately. I'm perfectly fine with standing pat as we head into spring training and seeing how the young guys do there. If something happens to fall our way or we can get a FA like Leiber or Livan for a really good deal, then go for it and let's see what happens. There's plenty of time left before the season starts IMO.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

This team, as it's constructed now, can compete in (and win with a few breaks) the NLC. I'd take the Pepsi Challenge w/Harang & Arroyo vs any other 1-2 punch in the division, and with a shored up bullpen, the rest of the staff simply has to pitch well enough to give the team's offense a chance. Belisle has more than a full season of experience under his belt and Homer can be outstanding when healthy.

I chose all 3 because it depends on the price for the last two. If the price is reasonable, then I say #2 or #3 is ok... otherwise I would stand pat...

I voted for making a trade. I still think that Bedard could end up in Cincinnati. I don't want the Reds to be foolish in what they're willing to send to Baltimore...but if they hold firm a little longer, I think all of the bluffing will die down and Bedard will become more reasonable. If not, I agree with some others on a Cliff Lee deal. I'm not nearly as excited about Blanton or Capuano as some of you are. Hernandez seems to be a waste, as does Josh Fogg. I kind of think that Colon is done, too. Harang, Bedard, Arroyo, Belisle and Bailey/Volquez/Maloney...not too bad.
    Last edited by roby; 01-11-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typos again

Instead of signing a FA you would be just as well off giving those starts to the kids and let them gain experiance. I think in the end the kids will have more success than a washed-up has-been FA pitcher. When is the last time the Reds went out and spent more than they should have on an older used-to-be-good pitcher and had good results from the acquisition? So why do we think all of a sudden that luck will change? Let the kids pitch and take their bumps. The way I see it the bumps come either way.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I would do both #2 and #3.

Sign a FA - aka Livan Hernandez 1 year deal with 2nd year Club Option with $1M buyout.
    This guy will FOR SURE eat up innings, you can write down 200 innings easy. This alone is worth a shot, because odds are between Belisle/Volquez/Bailey/Cueto - they're probably ALL going to see some time regardless in the Majors.
    He also (arguably) has a GOOD probability of doing those 200+ innings at under 5.00 ERA. That's solid #4 and GREAT #5 SP stuff.

I would STILL try to trade for a Bedard/Blanton type. I would give up ONE of Bailey/Cueto and MAYBE ONE of Votto/EdE, but not two of either in any trade.
    IFF you get one of these guys, you STILL Pencil in Livan Hernandez for 200+ innings, but now at #5 instead of #4, where you put Belisle. NOW, you have options, in that if he falters - or Belisle or any other injuries - you go with Volquez or Bailey/Cueto.
    You are MORE THAN LIKELY going to need to pull one or more of them up from AAA regardless, but in a PERFECT WORLD you start them ALL in AAA and gain confidence, work out final kinks, etc, and you bring up the HOT GUN if/when/as you need to.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'm torn on the topic. Part of me wants Bedard or top-line starter at any cost. Because even with the loss of prospects and potential offense, that rotation is still good enough to get you into the playoffs. However, I keep getting hung up on the Bailey Cueto potential. I'd hate to only get 2 years of Bedard and have B/C turn into great, or even really good pitchers that could be controlled for a long time.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Turn Off Ads?