Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

I think they should call themselves "The New York "American" Football Giants of New Jersey"
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's another football thing that bugs me. Advertisers aren't allowed to mention the words "Super Bowl" in their ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You go to a fast food joint. One person is at the register ordering. The next person in line stands 9 feet back from the person ordering. So when you walk up you have no idea if they are just thinking things over, are in line, are waiting for the food, or just testing the comfort of their shoes on a tile floor.

Of corse, the corallary to this, is when you are the one at the register ordering and the next person in line stands .076" behind you. I'm not going to order faster if you stand any closer mac. If a quick dirty look doesn't back them off, I've purposely backed straight-up after ordering and "bumped" into these wackos to get the point across that they are a little too close.

Then there's the person who orders their food, and then proceeds to reassemble their purse with the gigantic wallet, change purse and check-book that had to be extricated from said duffle bag...er...purse to pay for the meal. Sorry ladies, but it's usually your gender that pulls this trick. They don't scoot over to the left and let you walk up to order, they just stand their repacking their 4 suit travel-bag of a purse. I've stood right behind them and loudly ordered over-top of them since they are confused by the complexities of a fast-food ordering process.

So you get through the complex hell of ordering and walk to the soda station with all the napkins, katsup, salt, etc. There's typically some bozo standing in-front of the soda dispenser carefully examining the choices. Meanwhile they hog the entire machine so you can't get around them. This isn't the choice of a lifetime or "red pill or blue"...it's a fricking soda machine. I'll give you a hint. Its either Pepsi or Coke. A diet selection. 7up or Sprite. Possibly some root beer and maybe some orange drink/lemonade. Every single fast-food resturant has the same choices.....what's there to mull over?

Once they crack the code, and go for a Pepsi (gee..shocker) they spend another 2 minutes standing in front of the soda machine while they hunt down napkins, salt, katchup, fumble over the lid selection (another real toughie). All the while oblivious that there's 6 people waiting in line.

Dang.....I'm one grumpy turd in a fast-food resturant!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

No kidding, but that was one funny post.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'll never move to a middle seat unless it's for a parent and child who have separate seats.

And I never feel bad about it.
    On the flip side of that, I'd never ask to switch seats with someone on an airline. I've sat in middle seats before on flights (and I'm 6'10") because I didn't get to the gate in time to get a better seat assignment. If you want to sit by people or have a certain seat, make reservations early or get to the gate early enough to change.

I'm not going to ask someone to make accommodations for me when I screw up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You must not be American.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    On the flip side of that, I'd never ask to switch seats with someone on an airline. I've sat in middle seats before on flights (and I'm 6'10") because I didn't get to the gate in time to get a better seat assignment. If you want to sit by people or have a certain seat, make reservations early or get to the gate early enough to change.

Man, if I was 6' 10" I'd be all over paying the extra $25 most airlines are charging now for bulk head rows. I'm 5' 10" and I'm almost tempted.

One thing I hate on planes is people who insist on reclining their seat all the way back so that it is 2 inches from my face. That's just rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You go to a fast food joint. One person is at the register ordering. The next person in line stands 9 feet back from the person ordering. So when you walk up you have no idea if they are just thinking things over, are in line, are waiting for the food, or just testing the comfort of their shoes on a tile floor.

Of corse, the corallary to this, is when you are the one at the register ordering and the next person in line stands .076" behind you. I'm not going to order faster if you stand any closer mac. If a quick dirty look doesn't back them off, I've purposely backed straight-up after ordering and "bumped" into these wackos to get the point across that they are a little too close.

Then there's the person who orders their food, and then proceeds to reassemble their purse with the gigantic wallet, change purse and check-book that had to be extricated from said duffle bag...er...purse to pay for the meal. Sorry ladies, but it's usually your gender that pulls this trick. They don't scoot over to the left and let you walk up to order, they just stand their repacking their 4 suit travel-bag of a purse. I've stood right behind them and loudly ordered over-top of them since they are confused by the complexities of a fast-food ordering process.

So you get through the complex hell of ordering and walk to the soda station with all the napkins, katsup, salt, etc. There's typically some bozo standing in-front of the soda dispenser carefully examining the choices. Meanwhile they hog the entire machine so you can't get around them. This isn't the choice of a lifetime or "red pill or blue"...it's a fricking soda machine. I'll give you a hint. Its either Pepsi or Coke. A diet selection. 7up or Sprite. Possibly some root beer and maybe some orange drink/lemonade. Every single fast-food resturant has the same choices.....what's there to mull over?

Once they crack the code, and go for a Pepsi (gee..shocker) they spend another 2 minutes standing in front of the soda machine while they hunt down napkins, salt, katchup, fumble over the lid selection (another real toughie). All the while oblivious that there's 6 people waiting in line.

This message brought to you by the makers of
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I hate when people give you the evil eye when you turn on the air above your seat.

I especially hate it when they reach up and turn it off.

I need my air when I fly.

I don't point it at them. They have there own little controls. Touch mine and lose your fingers.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I hate when you're on a return flight and your boarding pass doesn't have a seat number.

The check-in people insist you will have a seat. Just get an assignment at the gate.

The gate people don't rectify it until 10 minutes before boarding.

It gives me such anxiety. You know they overbooked the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I hate when people give you the evil eye when you turn on the air above your seat.

I especially hate it when they reach up and turn it off.

I need my air when I fly.

I don't point it at them. They have there own little controls. Touch mine and lose your fingers.
    Someone has actually done that to you? Wow, that takes balls. Literally probably as this is the kind of thing I can only see a man doing to a woman. I've flown hundreds of times and this has never ever happened to me and I ALWAYS turn on the air.

One thing I do do that probably makes some people mad is I don't shut my window for the movie. I want to look out the damn window.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    which begs the question, why do people drive SUVs or Trucks?
    I got one because I drove 45 minutes on back roads in winter to work. Those kinds of roads don't get the royal treatment from the salt trucks that the highways do. There were a few days when I would not have gotten home if I didn't have my SUV. There simply aren't many cars that can plow through a foot of snow and ice. Also, I moved every three months so I was constantly hauling my crap from one location to another. Having room for cargo allowed me to do that without external assistance.

Now, I'm in a more permanent location and drive major roads to work. The SUV no longer fits my needs, and I likely will change vehicles sometime this year.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I was at a carrall in the library all afternoon, hard at work and on a very tight deadline, when an elderly gentleman answered his cell phone. I was a little surprised that he had forgotten to turn it off in the library. Imagine my surprise when he proceeded to carry on a full conversation about home repairs and other various topics at above-full volume for at least 15 minutes. I might have said something to him had I not been so dumbstruck. There was a library assistant right by us shelving books, but he did not say anything to the man either, probably because he was listening to an ipod.

The kicker? The man carried on this entire conversation, his voice carrying throughout the library, and the second he hung up he got up and left.

This is all in addition to all the kids running around shouting and roughousing. Now, I don't begrudge little kids shouting, but their parents should know better in the library. And this old man certainly should know better.

I'm not in the library for hours on end to check out books. I'm in the library because it's the only place I can get some peace and quiet with minimal distractions. I can't get this at work, obviously, nor at home or at a coffee shop or anywhere else. And I barely ever get it at the library anymore.

AFTER I LEFT, I called my friend the librarian and asked her what happened to the quiet rule in libraries. She told me it went the way of the card catalog.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

AFTER I LEFT, I called my friend the librarian and asked her what happened to the quiet rule in libraries. She told me it went the way of the card catalog.
    Not everywhere. We have a reading room that is for silent reading and studying. And we enforce it.

What drives me bonkers is when a person answers their cell phone while you are talking to them. Honestly, I have people approach me for help at work, but then their phone rings and they take the call.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I was at a carrall in the library all afternoon, hard at work and on a very tight deadline, when an elderly gentleman answered his cell phone. I was a little surprised that he had forgotten to turn it off in the library. Imagine my surprise when he proceeded to carry on a full conversation about home repairs and other various topics at above-full volume for at least 15 minutes. I might have said something to him had I not been so dumbstruck. There was a library assistant right by us shelving books, but he did not say anything to the man either, probably because he was listening to an ipod.

The kicker? The man carried on this entire conversation, his voice carrying throughout the library, and the second he hung up he got up and left.

This is all in addition to all the kids running around shouting and roughousing. Now, I don't begrudge little kids shouting, but their parents should know better in the library. And this old man certainly should know better.

I'm not in the library for hours on end to check out books. I'm in the library because it's the only place I can get some peace and quiet with minimal distractions. I can't get this at work, obviously, nor at home or at a coffee shop or anywhere else. And I barely ever get it at the library anymore.

Along those same lines, my wife and I go to the bookstore regularly and go through the same thing. I also hate it when it happens in coffee shops when most people are there reading.

I don't think that most people are this way, but in general, anyone who consistently acts like no one else in the world matters bothers me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?