Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Sub Rosa. I live about 10 blocks from there.
    I'd be eating there once a week.

It's like living within 1 miles of the Nabisco plant or somewhere near Franz Bakery. Love that vanilla smell from the Nabisco plant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yes, but would you really want to eat the food after that? I'm envisioning a little fast food worker revenge.
    LOL. Hmm.. never thought about that before.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I want to hear the reasons some people are driven crazy by "Law & Order"....I just spent several minutes going from page 25 to the end and I never got the answer.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I want to hear the reasons some people are driven crazy by "Law & Order"....I just spent several minutes going from page 25 to the end and I never got the answer.
    I can't resist, even though you put a winkie up.

It's the same episode, time after time: Dead body found before opening credits, the investigators then begin to ask questions of a witness, who invariably says they know absolutely nothing, except for "maybe this one little detail" that ends up being so obviously vital that you realize the writers always add the "I don't know anything" part so the viewer doesn't catch on that the investigators here never ever run into anybody who truly knows absolutely nothing.

Then they capture the guy, who then gets convicted, though sometimes they do let him off the hook through a legal loophole. It's never in any doubt that they guy they are holding did it, because this group of witnesses that didn't know anything never gets it wrong.

The criminal will play mind games with the cops, sneers, makes excuses about his childhood, but lo and behold, this is the guy, and we know this becuase everytime he talks, there is the Law and Order dramatic music that refuses to change pitch or tone: "Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

On the special victims unit series, if there is a child anytime, anyplace, you can rest assured that child will be sitting down, drawing pictures of some sort of sexual abuse that happened, and the detective will say, "Did so and so touch you?" Pause. "Where did he touch you?" All the while that droning dramatic music is playing, while we await the answer from the child, as if the music, the title of the freaking show, the pictures, don't tell us already that yes, so and so touched him or her "down there."

The character that Vincent D' Nofrio plays is always the smartest man in the room, he knows everything about everything, his mind games always work, he's a genius, and that poor actress who plays alongside of him is forced to recite lines like, "How do you know that?", though they sometimes let her have the zinger at the end, when she walks by the criminal and lets loose with such a lame "gotcha" cliche that, if I were the criminal, would bring to my mind Steve Martin, in "Roxanne," where the guy in the bar calls him "big nose":

"Oh, you can think of something better?"

And channeling Jimmy Carter, Steve Martin says, "Yeah, I think I can think of something betta."

And you have to love the "Torn from the headlines" episodes. The writers have admitted that their stories are so tired that they have to write a story that has already played out in the media, so we can watch the ballad of Mary Kay Latorneau play out with that "wahhhhhhhhhhhhh" tone over the recitation of sexual trysts. "Did she touch you down there?" Well, of course she did, didn't you catch the story in the news and NBC's teaser that this was torn from the headlines?

You also have to love when NBC claims an "All New" Law and Order. This is false advertising, as there is no such thing as an all new Law and Order. You could play repeats, and nobody could tell the difference, save for those poor souls who watch the marathons on TNT or USA.

I tell you, there are things that break your soul in this life, but I can't think of anything more depressing than pushing the "Guide" button on my remote and seeing 48 straight hours of Law and Order cued up, knowing that I will have to make a mental note to avoid the channel perpetrating this travesty upon mankind.

The SUV ones...i have never liked. The 2 main characters are such caricatures of "tough cop" roles. They seem to enjoy writing about the most perverse thing available and Ice T really is a bad actor...to me.

Yes...the music does the dead give away...way too much. I think the use of music in most shows and movies should be removed. Keep it quiet and let me figure out what is going on myself.

The original L & O lost it's bite after the the 1996-1999 years. Those years were the peak for me.

They can still do some smart shows and while sometimes it could be predictable...it is still a better drama than anything after CSI and Lost on regular TV.
    You talk about terrible spin offs from a great show... CSI has got that hands down to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The SUV ones...i have never liked. The 2 main characters are such caricatures of "tough cop" roles. They seem to enjoy writing about the most perverse thing available and Ice T really is a bad actor...to me.

Yes...the music does the dead give away...way too much. I think the use of music in most shows and movies should be removed. Keep it quiet and let me figure out what is going on myself.

The original L & O lost it's bite after the the 1996-1999 years. Those years were the peak for me.

They can still do some smart shows and while sometimes it could be predictable...it is still a better drama than anything after CSI and Lost on regular TV.
    You talk about terrible spin offs from a great show... CSI has got that hands down to me.
    I'm not the one to ask- I have a Law and Order phobia that stems from one of my exes, who watched this show so much that I developed a nervous tic.

Maybe your fear of your ex-girlfriend is the root of all this phobia?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Well then I guess those 4 or 5 cars should just all sit there and wait for your double chesseburger.

Dude, cook time is cook time. You can't "speed it up," or "make it a priority."

When I worked in fast food, the only people who had to pull up were the ones who ordered something that wasn't up. Sorry about your luck, but it's silly to be stubborn and make everybody else wait because you think your pouting will make the meat cook faster.

I'm laughing as I type this- please don't take offense, it's just sometimes things don't go your way, you know?
    I agree about the food wait, but let's be honest: in customer service, out of sight is out of mind. Everyone knows this, so you have to, in entirely too many circumstances, ha-rumph and stand your ground until you're taken care of. I do it all the time.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If huffing and puffing is what you need to do to make yourself feel control in the situation, and you aren't ruining anyone's else's experience, then go ahead. But if you start involving other customers in an effort to magnify the drama and then pass off the blame to the restaurant who forgot your fries then I truly hope a second huffier and puffier customer comes along and engages you in a no holds barred battle of huffs/puffs.

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    If huffing and puffing is what you need to do to make yourself feel control in the situation, and you aren't ruining anyone's else's experience, then go ahead. But if you start involving other customers in an effort to magnify the drama and then pass off the blame to the restaurant who forgot your fries then I truly hope a second huffier and puffier customer comes along and engages you in a no holds barred battle of huffs/puffs.
    Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about: you call into the pharmacy to have your scripts filled and you give them the amount of time they ask for for them to fill your script. You come in at the appointed time, and the person who is supposed to be helping you says that they haven't had a chance to fill it, so they ask you to stand aside while the pharmacist fills it; meanwhile, that same person begins waiting on the next five customers, each with his or her own set of gripes and complaints--all the while, forgetting that you even existed. That's what I'm talking about: take care of me, then take care of them. Why should I have to wait 20 minutes for something they screwed up?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters. ER was a classic example. It went from being a hospital drama to a soap opera where no one was allowed to have a healthy relationship with someone else. Anytime someone found love on the show, it invariably ended with someone cheating on the other or someone dying. I hate soap operas. If a show goes long enough for them to change focus from the original premise to a relationship show, maybe it's time to face facts that you've run out of script ideas and need to end the series. It's right up there with sitcoms giving us the "Very Special..." episode on my pet peeve list. I almost prefer reality shows these days because at least I don't have to worry about some lame episode where Simon and Paula have a breakdown in their secret love affair because their love child had developed leukemia.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters. ER was a classic example. It went from being a hospital drama to a soap opera where no one was allowed to have a healthy relationship with someone else. Anytime someone found love on the show, it invariably ended with someone cheating on the other or someone dying. I hate soap operas. If a show goes long enough for them to change focus from the original premise to a relationship show, maybe it's time to face facts that you've run out of script ideas and need to end the series. It's right up there with sitcoms giving us the "Very Special..." episode on my pet peeve list. I almost prefer reality shows these days because at least I don't have to worry about some lame episode where Simon and Paula have a breakdown in their secret love affair because their love child had developed leukemia.
    The aforementioned ex watched TNT so much that when they showed ER, all I could hear was that awful heart rate machine nonstop.

Once your ear picks it up, you can't shake it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters.
    Which is, to tie this back to Law and Order, one of the things that definitely separates it from the rest of television -- the showrunners make no secret of the fact that they're less interested in their characters than they are in the story being told.

Any "character development" on the show is done through the crimes / trials being conducted. There are rarely "out of the office" moments for any character on the show. You never delve deep into relationships, family, or what makes these people tick.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yippee. A show can work that's focused on the plot or the characters. But when it gets to the point where there's a similar show on all the time (Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, NCIS, Bones, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs, The Mentalist, etc, etc, etc... ) it get's a little old.

Tv is saturated with crime shows and reality shows. Some are better than others. That's not alot of variety though. Are they predictable? Yeah, I'd have to agree with Dom on that. And it's kinda funny when you're watching a crime show and you realize that the plot is alot like what you saw on another crime show just a few days before. I guess it's a good thing we have a million channels now so we might find something different worth watching.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-03-2010 at 05:04 AM.

I brought that up a few months back as well.....this is now how it was in the 90's with the Sienfeld clone sitcoms and like the 80's with the Cosby/Family Ties type shows.

It is getting tiresome but it is still better than reality shows. The originals can stay.....you at least have to do away with CSI Miami. That appeals to the TMZ/MTV crowd i guess...it has to be. It is all bright with shiny colors and pretty people.
    I like Criminal Minds in the dialogue aspect and stories but some of the editing and acting in it can be really bad at times.

I ended watching way too much ER when i was out on disability with a broken hand last year. It started from 1996 and by the time i was ready to come back to work...the show was into the 2003 season. Besides the characters that had changed....the shows were becoming implausible and downright irritating in regards to real life dramas. It was more like a singles bar to me at times. Kovach was the new Clooney...but all he really wanted was a relationship? He wanted to get laid all the time...and the women were more than happy to oblige. Can Dr. Greene have more stuff happen to him than anyone possible..in real life? I would not wish that on Willy Taveras. Dr. Romano would have been fired or killed by everyone in real life for his behavior. They replace the Benton character with a doctor from the bad side of the tracks...who also happens to be African American...but also agree to bring in another Benton clone but with more compassion in Gallant.

The writer who started this off had some great stories about ER happenings but after a while that ends and you can only have enough people come in with rare cases (every day practically?) or strange things attached or embedded in them.

Turn Off Ads?