Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I take it your friend hasn't seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is given a van.

"Ugh... Now I'm a van guy?"

Kramer: Jerry, it says here "Interesting trades considered."
    Jerry: You put that there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the van is rocking, don't come knocking.

If my parents catch me having sex with my cousin.....
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sounds like nate might consider trading in his car for Anthony Quinn's t-shirt.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I drive a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab Short Bed. I am a farmer, I wanted the extended cab, because I do haul the kids, and they needed somewhere safe to ride. The shortbed was so I could pull it in the garage if I needed to get something in my garage and out of the rain. A longbed extended cab would not have fit. I pull things all the time, and always have something in the bed that I would not want in the cab.

That being said, I do look down my nose at people that have no business owning a big truck, especially when I see them in shopping malls, and other places where a massive truck does not belong. I especially like to laugh at my father in law, with his Ford F150 off road 4x4, who has a lawn mower trailer that he might pull once a year. He is always washing his truck and built a garage with a grate in the floor so he can wash is truck inside year round. I have a gravel driveway, and sometime when he comes out to our house he complains about how he has to go home and wash his truck. I am all for having pride in your vehicle but come on.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That being said, I do look down my nose at people that have no business owning a big truck, especially when I see them in shopping malls, and other places where a massive truck does not belong.
    I guess I'm confused with the idea that just because someone drove their big truck to the shopping mall, that somehow means they don't need to own that truck. All we own is a crew cab, long bed F350 and a little Toyota pickup that I drive to work most of the time. If my F350 doesn't belong at the mall or a restaurant, how else do I get there? I surely can't take the kids and the wife into town in my little Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I guess I'm confused with the idea that just because someone drove their big truck to the shopping mall, that somehow means they don't need to own that truck. All we own is a crew cab, long bed F350 and a little Toyota pickup that I drive to work most of the time. If my F350 doesn't belong at the mall or a restaurant, how else do I get there? I surely can't take the kids and the wife into town in my little Toyota.
    You need to get one of those 4-seater bicycles.

You need to get one of those 4-seater bicycles.

That would be one LONG ride. We live about 35 miles from the city.

BRM and Family head to the mall...

DUH, people who drive big trucks only shop at Tractor Supply Company and flea markets.

Wrong family. We don't wear flip-flops out here. Too many rattlesnakes.

DUH, people who drive big trucks only shop at Tractor Supply Company and flea markets.
    I wish we had a Tractor Supply out here. We have Big R, which is similar but not quite as good. And great deals can be had at the flea market. :

This is what the DOE reported on light truck sales back in the late 90's:

Sales of light trucks have escalated rapidly from 9.4 percent of all vehicles sales in 1979 to 29.6 percent in 1990 and 43.2 percent in 1997
    Source: Annual Energy Outlook, 1999

It's not that I'm a truck hater, or that I don't believe the pristine F250 parked next to mine at the mall is not used in some capacity as a work vehicle, but the reality is this- with the low price of gasoline in the 90's, people bought bigger vehicles- mostly trucks and SUVs. It's hard for me to believe that the number of contractors, farmers, steel workers, and others who have a professional need for trucks increased at the same rate as truck sales.

That's all I'm saying.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's not that I'm a truck hater, or that I don't believe the pristine F250 parked next to mine at the mall is not used in some capacity as a work vehicle, but the reality is this- with the low price of gasoline in the 90's, people bought bigger vehicles- mostly trucks and SUVs. It's hard for me to believe that the number of contractors, farmers, steel workers, and others who have a professional need for trucks increased at the same rate as truck sales.
    That's a fair point. I certainly would never argue that everyone who owns a larger truck needs it. My personal feeling is I simply don't care. If someone wants to drive a 10 mpg SUV or pickup, so be it. It's their checkbook.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

That's a fair point. I certainly would never argue that everyone who owns a larger truck needs it. My personal feeling is I simply don't care. If someone wants to drive a 10 mpg SUV or pickup, so be it. It's their checkbook.
    In the micro, yes. It is their money, and they're free to waste how they see fit.

In the macro, no. Lots of inefficent vehicle ownership leads to increase demand for fuel, which raises price.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    In the micro, yes. It is their money, and they're free to waste how they see fit.

In the macro, no. Lots of inefficent vehicle ownership leads to increase demand for fuel, which raises price.
    Also a fair point. I wonder how much of an impact it really is. If everyone who didn't have a clear need to own an SUV/Truck traded them in for smaller fuel-efficient cars, what would the impact truly be at the pumps? I'm sure it would have an impact of some sort but how much? I know there really is no way to know for sure but it is an interesting thought.

Turn Off Ads?