Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

High five!

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Many (all?) Saturns have aluminum engine blocks and run hotter (they burn oil something fierce) ... so my guess is you're driving a Saturn.
    That's a great guess and makes sense since I'm in TN and Saturn used to be here too but, no.

Think more snooty and not American.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So what the heck kind of car is this?
    Well, it looks really good parked in my garage.

Sounds like you're doing what I'd do, i.e. work their system as well as you can in a reasonable manner.

As a last resort when all else fails, I resort to flaming bodily orifice mode where I become completely unreasonable, make a scene, and generally go berserk. I refuse to deal with any underlings and go as high up in the food chain as I possible can. I don't curse or swear, but I become very demanding, ask extremely pointed questions, try to make them uncomfortable, and don't take no for an answer. Making phone calls/writing letters to CEOs is often fun. Sometimes it works. Even if it doesn't, I feel a little better.
    This is pretty much what I'm doing. I've ordered a few "poo trebuchet" plans online. We'll see if the dude from their corporate office calls back today. I've also got an ally at the dealer and am trying to get him to help.

I'll reveal the dastardly manufacturer a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    That's a great guess and makes sense since I'm in TN and Saturn used to be here too but, no.

Think more snooty and not American.
    If its English and feline, then you were a little crazy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If its English and feline, then you were a little crazy.
    Close!

But I'm not that crazy.

Close!

But I'm not that crazy.

Initials R.R.?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Initials R.R.?
    You are in the correct species!

You are in the correct species!
    Land Rover?

OK, where do I start...
    1. Being the 15th car back at long green light but ALWAYS being the one who doesn't get thru.
    2. Being late to work due to weather related traffic issues only to find out of approximately 200 people you are the only one who's late.
    3. Getting to work to find out your shirt or pants has a stain or hole in it that you never saw at home.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Land Rover?
    We have a winner! Although, Rojo was close. Maybe you can split the fake secret rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Many (all?) Saturns have aluminum engine blocks and run hotter (they burn oil something fierce) ... so my guess is you're driving a Saturn.

A majority of, if not all, cars manufactured today have aluminum engine blocks.

nate - Have you think about looking into whether your situation falls in the realm of the lemon car law?

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/in...FQNisgodY2l52A
    Last edited by GAC; 01-15-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I wonder what percentage of newer cars with aluminum engine blocks have the same problems that Saturns typically have. Saturns have been notorious for burning extreme amounts of oil because the engines run hot, and they'll also go through spark plugs very frequently. The running joke with Saturns is that you should check your oil everytime you fill up your gas tank.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

nate - Have you think about looking into whether your situation falls in the realm of the lemon car law?

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/in...FQNisgodY2l52A
    I've looked at it a little bit. I'm not sure if this fits into my cursory understanding but I'll look a little deeper.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

We have a winner! Although, Rojo was close. Maybe you can split the fake secret rep!
    So what's the model of the Land Rover?

I've recently been looking at Land Rovers, and any info (positive or negative) is always appreciated.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So what's the model of the Land Rover?

I've recently been looking at Land Rovers, and any info (positive or negative) is always appreciated.
    It's a 2001 Discovery II LE. I bought it in 2003 with 25k miles on it. It had a 5 year / 50k warranty. Plusses:

*I like the way it drives and handles. I've always been a truck guy so I like sitting up high.
    *The LE is a bit rare and has a cool interior (leather accents!)
    *It will go anywhere, through everything (if it's running)
    *The dealers are very courteous and nice

Bads

*It's underpowered. It has a 4 liter V8 but the thing is HEAVY (for some reason, 3 tons sticks in my head). I had an opportunity to drive a 2003 Disco II (one of the many times the thing was in for service) which has a 4.6 liter. It's better but still sluggish.
    *You have to feed it premium gas. You _WILL_ notice a difference if you don't. I put regular in it which caused engine pinging and bad uphill acceleration.
    *The service. As long as it's under warranty and you don't mind the ocassional inconvenience, go for it. I met a guy at the Land Rover dealer who would simply trade-in his Range Rovers just before the warranty ran out.
    *Not just big things, but little things go wrong. My gas door latch wouldn't keep closed and I took it back several times to fix that. One day, the rear view mirror fell off. The glove box opens randomly. The little sun screens in the sunroof wouldn't roll up properly. It's not a Swiss watch.
    *The cargo capacity sucks. It seems like there's a lot of space, but there really isn't. That's kind of the problem with a lot of modern SUVs because they take the "sport" aspect to seriously. It basically has a big trunk.
    *Accessories are expensive. I wanted to get a bike carrier. Found out mine didn't have a hitch installed. To get one, it would cost $700 (from the dealer, of course). There were some aftermarket models one could get for around $300 but you had to install it yourself.
    *You'll get to know your service people on a first-name basis.

So there you go. Dunno what model you're looking but I'd stay away from the Discovery II...well, I'd stay away from all of them at this point.

Unless you want to buy a 2001 LE that needs some engine work!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I was looking at a 2004 Discovery.

Maybe I'm not looking at it anymore.

Turn Off Ads?