Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I hate when people give you the evil eye when you turn on the air above your seat.

I especially hate it when they reach up and turn it off.

I need my air when I fly.

I don't point it at them. They have there own little controls. Touch mine and lose your fingers.
    I would probably slap someone's hand if they did that to me. I have to have the air on when we're on the ground because sometimes I start to feel ill if the exhaust fumes from the engines get to be too much (usually on American flights when you're stuck in the back on one of their MD-80s).

My pet peeve on planes - people who are able to stay within their personal space and refuse to. I can understand that heavy people have problems because the airlines make the seats too small so that they can jam more seats in there. Where I have an issue is when you get someone who can easily fit within their allotted space, but feels the need to extend themselves into your seat because they need elbow room. They have plenty of room in their own seat if they keep their elbows at their sides, but they feel the need to extend their elbows out over the arm rests and into your seat. One of my worst flights involved sitting in the middle seat where I had young business man on one side and this woman with a heavily starched African-style dress with poofy sleeves on my other side. Business man had his elbow in my ribs on one side and the starchy dress lady had her starchy-poofy-dress arm poking me in my arm. I was wearing short sleeves, so her dress was scratching up my arm the whole flight. I got so frustrated I actually wedged by elbows between myself and their arms, said "excuse me," and moved my arms outward to nudge them back into their seats. They each gave me a look and five minutes later they were at it again.

The most annoying flight I was on, from an annoying person standpoint, involved this jerkstore of a male flight attendant who was hitting on two obnoxiously giggly, loud talking college girls. Every 10 minutes he was over there with a drink or snacks or making idle chit chat. Finally he offered them the use of his Game Boy, which they proceeded to play, volume turned up full blast. So I had to deal with bleep-bleep-bloop-bleep-giggle-giggle for the last two hours of the flight.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

LMAO not to laugh at your misfortune, yach, but that sounds like an awesome premise for a Seinfeld episode involving Costanza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

AFTER I LEFT, I called my friend the librarian ....

That just has such a ring to it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You must not be American.
    Can you tell the IRS that? April is coming up soon.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I'm not in the library for hours on end to check out books. I'm in the library because it's the only place I can get some peace and quiet with minimal distractions. I can't get this at work, obviously, nor at home or at a coffee shop or anywhere else. And I barely ever get it at the library anymore.

Quiet is becoming a rare commodity. I hate diners with TV's blasting. Or coffee shops were idiots blather on about whatever interests idiots. Or oversharing commuters. Or airline passengers who want to make small talk.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Blake Lewis. They should put a picture of his next to the word "tool" in the dictionary.

Also hate any music artist who substitutes "B" for "Be," "4" for "for," or "U" for "You" in a song title.

"I B Crazy 4 U."

We get it. You worship Prince. You want us to know that your song is "funky." Just spell out the word, dude. The shortage in patience over this kind of crap is much worse than that of ink in this country.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-25-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quiet is becoming a rare commodity.
    The number one reason I rarely go to the theater to see movies. People need to stop rustling the popcorn bag as if one kernel is better than another. Stop bringing along a friend to translate the entire movie to you. Stop whispering as if I can't hear every single "s" sound you come across. Stop rattling your bag of Sour Patch kids like there's a prize at the bottom. Stop kicking the back of my chair, and tell your kid to do the same. Stop explaining the plot to your slow friend- not sure if you knew this or not, but there's going to be more time given to you after the movie to talk about it, so no need to act like these are the last precious seconds on earth to discuss your thoughts on what we all paid to watch in peace and quiet.

Speaking of kicking chairs: Can't stand the ushers who are more concerned with my feet being on the back of the empty chair in front of me than with the talkers who think they are whispering.

I'll bring my feet down when you make it quiet, usher man.

P.S. Get off my lawn!!!
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray

Being at a stop light--wanting to hang a right on red--but the car in front of you is always going straight and you cant get around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    P.S. Get off my lawn!!!
    That B hilarious.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

When someone uses the greeting "Have a good one". A good one what?

People who buy scratch off lottery tickets and feel they have to stand at the counter and see if they won. Then if they did, they want to redeem them right then and there..... to buy more tickets.

I seem to have the dumb luck of consistently getting behind people buying lottery tickets. Especially those who aren't sure what tickets to buy and feel they have to ask questions like "which one is the most popular, or has the best chances of winning?"

Like that minimum wage Starvin' Marvin clerk is gonna know that?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-26-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I also can't stand those Burger King commercials where they pretend they stopped selling the Whopper for a day.

Not sure if those folks are real or not, but let's say they are. How happy are they going to be to know that a) Burger King isn't really stopping the sales of the whopper and b) they just wanted to film people's reaction to their little inside joke.

Geesh, I'm on a roll this morning.

Another thing. Men's Health Magazine.

Anyone else ever notice all the lame suggestions they give?

Something like, you should eat 2 teaspoons of honey each morning because two Swedish researchers showed people who did this lived 5 extra years than the average person. They fill their magazine up with these little stupid suggestions that, if you followed all of them, you'd use up the extra time on earth you were supposed to have gained. My question is, if eating honey adds two years and drinking fish oil adds two years, do I add four years or two if I do both?

Or, a subsequent issue will have advice directly contradicting the previous advice. It's maddening.

They also give advice on exercises that most people could never do and they make it sound so simple:

"Hanging upside down, raise your upper torso until your hands touch your feet while ingesting that honey we told you about. Oh yeah, and two University of Michigan professors have said that humming the Star Spangled Banner while doing this exercise will burn three extra calories, which should add 5 years on to your life."

And every issue has the same two headlines: Better abs, better sex.

I think they only publish that thing every other month so it gives you more time to forget about the previous lame issue.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.

When someone uses the greeting "Have a good one".
    I don't like the response, "That's too funny."

There's a local chain I go to, and the guy behind the counter and I always talk a bit when I'm there. It doesn't matter what I say, his response is, "That's too funny." I could tell him my dog died, I think, and he'd say that.

I am now banned from this thread for 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Geesh, I'm on a roll this morning.

Another thing. Men's Health Magazine.

Anyone else ever notice all the lame suggestions they give?

Something like, you should eat 2 teaspoons of honey each morning because two Swedish researchers showed people who did this lived 5 extra years than the average person. They fill their magazine up with these little stupid suggestions that, if you followed all of them, you'd use up the extra time on earth you were supposed to have gained. My question is, if eating honey adds two years and drinking fish oil adds two years, do I add four years or two if I do both?

Or, a subsequent issue will have advice directly contradicting the previous advice. It's maddening.

They also give advice on exercises that most people could never do and they make it sound so simple:

"Hanging upside down, raise your upper torso until your hands touch your feet while ingesting that honey we told you about. Oh yeah, and two University of Michigan professors have said that humming the Star Spangled Banner while doing this exercise will burn three extra calories, which should add 5 years on to your life."

And every issue has the same two headlines: Better abs, better sex.

I think they only publish that thing every other month so it gives you more time to forget about the previous lame issue.
    I had two one-year subs to Men's Health and was annoyed at how they recycled the same topics over and over. And you're right, you can count on something about abs and sex on every cover. My two subs were a few years apart, and the articles didn't change much in all that time.

Now I'm experiencing the same thing with Parents magazine. My wife took it after our first child, and every cover includes something about discipline. Needless to say, the articles are pretty-much worthless, and they repeat the same themes over and over. She took it again after our second child, and nothing has changed. Same ol' fluff.

I know every magazine survives off ads, but I think magazines like these are primarily just a vehicle for delivering ads. The articles are an afterthought or a tease just to get the ads into your hands.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

People who buy scratch off lottery tickets and feel they have to stand at the counter and see if they won. Then if they did, they want to redeem them right then and there..... to buy more tickets.
    That just totally pisses me off. What if I bought a bottle of apple juice, then stood there drinking it so I could tell if I'm thirsty enough to buy another one? I've told people to get moving more than once in that situation. Impatience is a character flaw of mine.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?