Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Mick Cronin and Mike Thomas right now are bothering me the most. Luckily I am almost finished with grad school and can get away from them. I seem to walk past them both talking once a week and that's unbearable for me. I know that will be hated by some but it's the truth for me. I couldn't have less respect for two men than I do those two guys.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Granted, there are people who NEED trucks like you Nate, but my guess is that the majority of truck owners don't use the beds very much at all. I had a truck for a long time and it was handy for hauling mulch, soil, drywall, lumber, dogs, etc. But I traded it in for a car now that I need to cart kids more than building materials.

What drives me crazy is the fact that the American auto consumer has bought the notion hook, line and sinker that a truck is necessary and that it is also necessary to have a vehicle capable of managing the wilds of the bush.
    I think having a pick-up is one of the handiest things one can own.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If you're handy, yes. There should be a law- you should have to bring your tools to the dealership. If all you have is this, then you can't buy the truck.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Not if you live in upstate NY and ice fish.

I buried my truck in more snow banks than you can count.

I had tons of weight in the back too.

One reason why I'd hesitate to buy a truck again: people either want to borrow it or want you to move something. It can be a weekend killer.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I have a friend from Cincy who's lived in the UK for the past 15 years and visited recently. He commented on the amount of pick-ups, which are rare in Europe. He's a contractor and drives a van as most do over there. I never thought about it but it does make much more sense. You have the same cargo capacity and your stuff is always protected from the elements and thieves. The only disadvantage is you can't top load (and that rarely happens) and you can't haul really vertical stuff (again rare).

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Granted, there are people who NEED trucks like you Nate, but my guess is that the majority of truck owners don't use the beds very much at all. I had a truck for a long time and it was handy for hauling mulch, soil, drywall, lumber, dogs, etc. But I traded it in for a car now that I need to cart kids more than building materials.

What drives me crazy is the fact that the American auto consumer has bought the notion hook, line and sinker that a truck is necessary and that it is also necessary to have a vehicle capable of managing the wilds of the bush.
    thank you

Parking garages. For some reason, I get all kinds of confused in them, which makes me feel like a complete moron. Got turned around in one last night.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Given that, why in the HELL am I subjected to advertisements that laud the ability of automobiles in such a way? It's beyond stupid -- I drive my car to and from work. The majority of people who own pickup trucks work 9-5 jobs in offices. Most people who own an SUV will never take it off-road because they still owe too much money on it to risk totaling it. Stick to the facts people care about in commercials -- or at least make me laugh, but don't sell me on abilities of a product I'll never need.
    I'll offer a couple of reasons:

- There are a lot of people that do need a truck that can haul large payloads so a commercial touting a truck's toughness is what they need to see. Let a manufacturer put together a commercial showing their non-4x4, 120hp, flimsy, just-enough-for-your-commute, truck. That vehicle won't last long because it doesn't live up to what a truck represents to the core truck buyer: strength to do the big job. If no core customer exists, the product will fail.

- People like having a vehicle capable of doing tough things although they may never test it's limits. Most cars in America will go 120mph but I'd say that a very small minority will ever touch that limit. A Porsche may hit .99 on the skidpad but most owners will never come close to needing that level of grip.

- People like the way they look.
    Last edited by durl; 01-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    One reason why I'd hesitate to buy a truck again: people either want to borrow it or want you to move something. It can be a weekend killer.
    Not if you just say "no".

Lots of truck haters in this thread.
    Last edited by BRM; 01-16-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I have a friend from Cincy who's lived in the UK for the past 15 years and visited recently. He commented on the amount of pick-ups, which are rare in Europe. He's a contractor and drives a van as most do over there. I never thought about it but it does make much more sense. You have the same cargo capacity and your stuff is always protected from the elements and thieves. The only disadvantage is you can't top load (and that rarely happens) and you can't haul really vertical stuff (again rare).
    I take it your friend hasn't seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is given a van.

"Ugh... Now I'm a van guy?"

I take it your friend hasn't seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is given a van.

"Ugh... Now I'm a van guy?"

That was a good one.

One other difference is a van can't pull a gooseneck trailer. Another rare occurrence I know but a difference nonetheless. I'd take a gooseneck over a bumper pull anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post

: Not a truck hater .... I just probably needed more of an SUV back then.

Chevy S-10 in ice and snow on remote roads was not good.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I hate when people throw cigarette butts out a car window. Infuriating .... and I'm a smoker.

I have this visual of one hitting me in the eye or blowing up my car.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Chevy S-10 in ice and snow on remote roads was not good.
    I had a 2 wheel drive S-10 when I lived in North Dakota for a year and a half. I slid off the road a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post

No kidding.

Wonder what kind of furror it would create if we suggested they pass a law to ban all tin-can, roller-skate car simply because we "didn't see the need" for them?

That said, we have a mini van and when you take the seats out you can pack an amazing amount of stuff in it. Can't haul a load of mulch, sand or gravel in it but it can hold most of the stuff we need for our household projects.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Turn Off Ads?