Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds mentioned on Melky Cabrera???

Re: Reds mentioned on Melky Cabrera???

I think Melky would be a fine addition...the problem is I think he would cost too much. I'd imagine the Reds would have pay too much to get him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Nice to see Rosenthal still tossing crap up against a wall......
    It's baseball writerese for "slow news day."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

According to the plus/minus system, Melky Cabrera fared the second worst among all Centerfielders with a -22. The determination of the system can be fairly subjective, but it would suggest that Cabrera is not a very good fielder. Couple that with his mediocre career hitting stats, and I would have to say no to a Cabrera deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Melky was 4th in the AL in sac flies. Bench Dunn. :
    Trade him for a Josh Fogg like pitcher
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Anyone got anything on Melky's D? If he's a true CF with the range to run down the umpteen fly balls given up by everyone but Aaron, Bronson, and Coco, then sign me up! He'd be like Brandon Phillips in the OF. Hopper and Freel are a two-headed defense defective monster in CF and Bruce should probably play in one of the corners.
    At this point, Bruce is a better defensive CF than Freel or Hopper and all three are better than Melky on defense. Melky's got a mediocre offensive game for a CF with the defensive ability of a corner. He's a 4th OF tweener who is overvalued by playing in NY and looking good to the NY fans and media because Damon was so awful right ahead of him. He's a better defender than Griffey was in CF during his Red's career.

Bruce will be a fine CF for the next 3 or 4 years. No doubt as he matures as he reaches his mid to late 20's he'll settle into a career as a top RF, but he's only 21 and has a few years before he needs to move. He'll be the best defensive CF in Cincy for the next few years since Eric Davis (except for the one season of Mike Cameron) and getting a CF is not a real need during the current competitive window.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Trade him for a Josh Fogg like pitcher
    Ya know Krono, if you didn't publicly mention that type of junk, Krivdawg isn't going to get those ideas from John Fay.

For the love of things that are good and holy, quit giving the guy ideas!!!

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Anyone got anything on Melky's D? If he's a true CF with the range to run down the umpteen fly balls given up by everyone but Aaron, Bronson, and Coco, then sign me up! He'd be like Brandon Phillips in the OF. Hopper and Freel are a two-headed defense defective monster in CF and Bruce should probably play in one of the corners.
    I don't have stats, only what I've seen from watching Yankees games. He's got average range and a plus arm. That's why he took over for Damon. Damon's range was better, but his arm is so bad that runners were going from 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home without hesitating.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Why on earth does anyone think Melky is a good player? Other than the fact that he has a weak bat and can't defense, I guess it's his OB skills.

Which are about as good as Freel/Hopper's when they have the flu.

All Melky is really, is a younger version of Hopper.

pheh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why on earth does anyone think Melky is a good player? Other than the fact that he has a weak bat and can't defense, I guess it's his OB skills.

Which are about as good as Freel/Hopper's when they have the flu.

All Melky is really, is a younger version of Hopper.

pheh.
    He's a Yankee. If he wasn't, 75% of the baseball community would not have heard of him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Nice to see Rosenthal still tossing crap up against a wall......
    ain't that the truth. Rumor mongering and making incorrect trade speculations are part of the biz I guess, but this guy comes across as someone who's wrong so often he simply throws every potential scenario out there in hopes that he can hitch his wagon to one of them that may actually come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Bruce will be a fine CF for the next 3 or 4 years. No doubt as he matures as he reaches his mid to late 20's he'll settle into a career as a top RF, but he's only 21 and has a few years before he needs to move. He'll be the best defensive CF in Cincy for the next few years since Eric Davis (except for the one season of Mike Cameron) and getting a CF is not a real need during the current competitive window.
    Isn't it? I agree with you that Bruce may be the short-term answer... but I also think that having an ace covering ground back there solves a lot of problems. I suppose GABP has a smaller OF to deal with than some other parks, but I have to think adding a premium defender should be a priority for this team. Not the top priority, but at least on the list.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

FWIW, I also think Wayne may be looking for a cheap option to play CF credibly. That's why the Reds keep popping up in rumors about people like Mike Cameron and Melky Cabrera. Whether he actually makes a deal is another story, but I think these rumors are at least accurate in indicating a general trend in his plans. Makes you wonder why he dealt Denorfia, doesn't it? (Sorry, I had to throw that in there)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

great poise, helped to resurrect an apathetic team in a tough market.

Melky is a lesser version of Freel (in almost every way) who still enjoys some of the goodwill obtained from those that expected he'd develop power.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    great poise, helped to resurrect an apathetic team in a tough market.
    The grass is always greener, huh?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?