Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds mentioned on Melky Cabrera???

Re: Reds mentioned on Melky Cabrera???

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The grass is always greener, huh?

I honestly have no idea what you mean

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I honestly have no idea what you mean
    I think RMR is suggesting that Cabrera is basically Freel or Hopper, a sentiment with which I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think RMR is suggesting that Cabrera is basically Freel or Hopper, a sentiment with which I agree.
    He is probably Freel or Hopper unless you believe he still has upside. I think he's only 23 or 24 years old, so it's possible his bat will still mature. That said, we don't need a CF for his bat -- we need one for defense. And if Melky can't play good D, me no likey Melky.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

oh

I suppose that it's possible that at the age of 21, Freel or Hopper could have gone to NY, helped to turn around a team, and hit well against top AL teams in games with playoff implications.

Sounds pretty easy, after all.

oh

I suppose that it's possible that at the age of 21, Freel or Hopper could have gone to NY, helped to turn around a team, and hit well against top AL teams in games with playoff implications.

Uh oh... are we headed for one of those dreaded sample size debates?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ya know Krono, if you didn't publicly mention that type of junk, Krivdawg isn't going to get those ideas from John Fay.

For the love of things that are good and holy, quit giving the guy ideas!!!

Perhaps, but perhaps like the Bedard thread the more we mention said pitcher, the less chance we get him

I'm off to start a topic on Lohse and Milton
    Go Gators!

oh

He'd better be quite the gloveman with that OBP of .327, SLG of .391, and OPS+ of 89. Too little on base ability for my taste. Still, he's young and could potentially improve.

He was pretty decent in 2006, but once again, he needs to have the ability to play CF for those numbers to be acceptable.

He'd better be quite the gloveman with that OBP of .327, SLG of .391, and OPS+ of 89. Too little on base ability for my taste. Still, he's young and could potentially improve.

He was pretty decent in 2006, but once again, he needs to have the ability to play CF for those numbers to be acceptable.
    It'd make more sense to me if he was a stronger batter against LHP, but he's not.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Melky is quite young, with league average offensive upside in CF, and didn't fold under the weight of the New York press. He's valuable, don't get me wrong. But his defense belongs on a corner and his bat will never carry him there. He'll be a 4th OF by his late 20's, if not sooner.

However, Princeton, the idea that somehow his "great poise, helped to resurrect an apathetic team in a tough market" is something that would never be said about a player without the Yankee spot light on them. Can you provide an example of what you mean by that statement? Was the otherwise lazy Bobby Abreu spurred to success by the character of his OF mate? Did Kyle Farnsworth avoid killing somebody because he knew Melky would be all over him? Forgive me for not giving much, if any, extra credit to a guy for merely existing somewhere and not folding. I suppose that the apathy he helped correct came from the great Satan himself, Mr. Pay-Rod...

It's part of the whole mystique where somehow putting on pinstripes gives you moral credibility. He's the major league version of every over-hyped prospect who made news because of his uniform instead of his ability. It's the extension of the idea that somehow Scott Brosius was better for the Yankees than A-Rod, and that those late 90's teams were great because of their character as opposed to their pitching and OBP.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    the idea that somehow his "great poise, helped to resurrect an apathetic team in a tough market" is something that would never be said about a player without the Yankee spot light on them.
    well, it certainly would never be said about a player that didn't actually accomplish it. That it's a young man that accomplished it is extremely impressive

I also think that it's silly to discount a guy that performs up to his potential in New York. There are certainly a lot of pitchers, from Kenny Rogers to Carl Pavano, who would agree.

Melky hasn't had the spotlight directly on him because nobody expected a lot, unlike Pavano. But he did some very impressive things in playoff situations, which is a great trait for a young player.

Finally, hitters improve a lot as they go into their mid-20's.
    Last edited by princeton; 01-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Turn Off Ads?