Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    from Rotoworld:

    FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes Mike Cameron could soon sign with the Yankees or Brewers.
    The Yankees were saying they wouldn't bring in a starting center fielder even if they dealt Melky Cabrera, but that was just more deception. It is a surprise that they'd perhaps put in a bid for Cameron before trading Cabrera. Rosenthal seems to believe that Cabrera could go to Cubs, Reds, Braves, Royals or Pirates in return for prospects. The Cubs also have some level of interest in Cameron, but he's more likely to get multiple years elsewhere.

    ____________________________

    I'm not sure I get the hype for Cabrera, especially considering that he's a big piece of the reported Santana deal. His #'s hitting wise seem pedestrian, so I assume he's a helluva centerfielder.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    We have plenty of Melky Cabreras on our roster and in our system

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Colerain
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    If we could trade Freel I'd take Cabrera in a heartbeat. He's a young, solid player.

  5. #4
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Depends on the prospect like always
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Colerain
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Depends on the prospect like always
    Yea, would you give up Dickerson and Fisher for him?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    WEST CARROLLTON OHIO
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Yes for Dickerson and Fisher also.
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 01-11-2008 at 08:13 AM.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    407

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Yea, would you give up Dickerson and Fisher for him?
    Hell... I'd give them those two and Thompson and Valakia as well!!!

  9. #8
    Reds1990
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    116

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    He could bat leadoff and give us the Centerfielder we need while Bruce continues to hone his skills at Triple A. At some point someone will get hurt and Bruce will come up and get his at-bats and contribute. Then when 09 rolls around and we don't pick up Griffey's option how about an outfield of Dunn in left, Cabera in Center, and Bruce in his natural position in right. Sounds like a winner to me. If all the Yanks want are prospects and not our top prospects make the deal yesterday. That means they'll haved signed Cameron and we won't, Thank God.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Melky is terrible. I hope its not true.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

  11. #10
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,826

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Based on what I saw in the Playoffs, he has a hell of an arm. Threw out three or four runners at home with laser throws. Don't know about the rest of his defense. Being a switch hitter is a plus too. He's only 22 which means he could get better offensively. As Clogger says, it all depends on how expensive he is.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    109

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    I'm not sure you can call him terrible, Blue. I've watched him pretty closely over the last 2 years since he's been on my fantasy team. To be fair, he hasn't really had an opportunity to play a full season as a starter. It's a little hard to know what he's capable of at this point. But he definitely has talent, I assure you that he's not terrible.
    Brian

    Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

  13. #12
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Yea, would you give up Dickerson and Fisher for him?
    yes

    this actually is starting to sound like a very good idea to me for the simple reason that it assures us Griffey's departure at the end of the year and we can slide Bruce to RF. I'm sure Bruce could start the year at AAA and be called up once Griff gets hurt...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  14. #13
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm not sure you can call him terrible, Blue. I've watched him pretty closely over the last 2 years since he's been on my fantasy team. To be fair, he hasn't really had an opportunity to play a full season as a starter. It's a little hard to know what he's capable of at this point. But he definitely has talent, I assure you that he's not terrible.
    yes but he has been given 524 and 612 PA's the last two seasons...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Melky isn't a leadoff type hitter. He's more like a #7. He's not horrible at getting on base, but not great. You would expect a .340-.350 OBP at best. He's not a fast guy. He has 25 SB with 10 CS in 286 games. That's just an average at best type of runner. His defense isn't great. He does have a great arm, but his range is poor and he takes bad routes to the ball. He has very little power and is basically a singles hitter with a few doubles.

    Melky is just an avg to below avg CF right now. He doesn't have the tools to excel at anything (except throwing) and it's not likely he'll make an dramatic improvement in his game. He's good enough to be a starter, but just as a role player.

    I follow the Yanks also and have been watching him for 2 years. He just isn't going to add anything to the team, but he isn't going to take anything away. He's so valuable because he has 4 cheap years left, at league avg CF. That's worth about 8 Mil per year on the FA market.

  16. #15
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Melky isn't a leadoff type hitter. He's more like a #7. He's not horrible at getting on base, but not great. You would expect a .340-.350 OBP at best. He's not a fast guy. He has 25 SB with 10 CS in 286 games. That's just an average at best type of runner. His defense isn't great. He does have a great arm, but his range is poor and he takes bad routes to the ball. He has very little power and is basically a singles hitter with a few doubles.

    Melky is just an avg to below avg CF right now. He doesn't have the tools to excel at anything (except throwing) and it's not likely he'll make an dramatic improvement in his game. He's good enough to be a starter, but just as a role player.

    I follow the Yanks also and have been watching him for 2 years. He just isn't going to add anything to the team, but he isn't going to take anything away. He's so valuable because he has 4 cheap years left, at league avg CF. That's worth about 8 Mil per year on the FA market.
    Last year he was 28 runs better than the replacement CF- pretty good!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25