Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacobs Field renamed Progressive Field

Jacobs Field renamed Progressive Field

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...g_N.htm?csp=34

CLEVELAND (AP) — The field known as "The Jake" is no more. The home of the Cleveland Indians now will be called Progressive Field.
    Car insurance company Progressive Corp. and the American League team have come to terms on a 16-year naming rights deal for the 42,000-seat downtown ballpark.

The park had been known as Jacobs Field since it opened in 1994, named when the team had been owned by Cleveland-area businessman Richard Jacobs. Progressive will pay $3.6 million a year for the rights.

Indians president Paul Dolan said at a news conference on Friday that the club is aware that the team's history _including two World Series appearances — is tied to fans' emotional connections with Jacobs field.

"I'm sure the fans' thinking about this place being something other than Jacobs Field will take a while," Dolan said. "But I'm also sure that over time, Progressive Field will also sink in with the fans' psyche."

Glenn Renwick, Progressive's chairman and chief executive, said that the cost of the naming rights represents about 1% of Progressive's annual advertising and marketing budget.

"Quite frankly, as a company we are approached all the time with opportunities for various sponsorships. This came after a lot of thought. It's a great opportunity for both our customer base and the fan base," Renwick said.
    Does anybody else see irony that a team that has a native American nickname is playing in Progressive Field?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jacobs Field renamed Progressive Field

No more irony than seeing the perennially mediocre Reds play in Great American Ball Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No more irony than seeing the perennially mediocre Reds play in Great American Ball Park.
    Or that a Wrigley hasn't owned the Cubs for 25 years.

Or that the Bengals play abysmal football in a stadium named for a football genius.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Or that the Bengals play abysmal football in a stadium named for a football genius.
    Or that the Browns were actually named for Joe Louis?

From The Jake to The Prog?

My personal favorite is the University of Phoenix Stadium, being as the University of Phoenix doesn't have a football team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    My personal favorite is the University of Phoenix Stadium, being as the University of Phoenix doesn't have a football team.
    They have a killer Madden squad on X-Box Live, I hear.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    And some might argue it's not a real university.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...g_N.htm?csp=34

Does anybody else see irony that a team that has a native American nickname is playing in Progressive Field?
    Kind of like rain on your wedding day?

Personally, without the "Insurance" part, it sounds like the park was named after a European political party, like "Social Democratic Stadium" or "Labor Party Park."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Maybe Dennis Kucinich could toss out the opening pitch.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Maybe Dennis Kucinich could toss out the opening pitch.
    That's a good one.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I suppose the ultimate irony would be if the Indians were now to play in a place called Progressive American Ball Park. But that's not a real corporation, so that would never happen.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Strange thing is I didn't even think about the political incorrectness of the franchise's name at first... I just thought of the statistical analysis approach of their FO, which might accurately be termed "progressive." Shows how sensitive I am these days, I guess.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I like how Dolan thinks the new name will sink in to the fans' psyche.

Does he even have a clue about his fan base?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?