Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live or Memorex?

Live or Memorex?

I was listening to some music last night and just was thinking about some songs that were released both in studio and live and wanted to see if anyone had some opinions on certain songs that were better live than when it was made in the studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Live or Memorex?

As long as it is a quality live version I go live every time. Most of the time the quality of the song is better memorex but I still like the live versions.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    As long as it is a quality live version I go live every time. Most of the time the quality of the song is better memorex but I still like the live versions.

Do you have any specific examples you'd like to share with the class?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

By live are you talking officially released live albums? Or just an artist's reputation.

This is somewhat addressed in a song.

My new stuff is nothing like my old stuff was
    And neither one is much when compared to this show
    Which will not be as good as some other one you saw
    So help me I know, I know
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Oops- I reread your first post. You did say released.

Todd Snider has a 2 live ones called Near Truths and Hotel Rooms, and Live at Grimey's. His stuff is always better live.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I tend to prefer recorded versions. There's a reason songs are reworked in the studio and a reason that good producers and mixers are brought in to help. Generally what an artist releases is the best version of a song s/he can produce, musically speaking.

What I love about live music is the energy and transience of it, so to put that on tape kind of defeats the purpose for me. It's often sub-par musically to the recorded version and so in the absence of the electric live environment its best points are muted. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think Midnight Rambler live from Get Your Ya Yas Out is better than the studio release from Let It Bleed. The energy on that was just something else.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Live Music is better - bumper stickers should be issued.

I hate musicians playing "Licks"

Neil Young

I downloaded a Dire Straits show once. It sounded almost like their studio recordings. .
    -Todd Snider

I've got copies of alot of shows from artists that I've never even heard their studio stuff, like Billy Joe Shaver and Townes V S.
    -Todd Snider

The live version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is way better than the studio version.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The live version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is way better than the studio version.
    That's because they wimped out in the studio on that mix... but Surrender on the next album is as good as the live version.

BTW, I'm listening to Budakon right this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I've got copies of alot of shows from artists that I've never even heard their studio stuff, like Billy Joe Shaver and Townes V S.
    Shaver live blows doors off Shaver studio stuff, Smiths Live is proof of that.

Willie is better live then studio, but he tries more on the road anyway.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I tend to prefer recorded versions. There's a reason songs are reworked in the studio and a reason that good producers and mixers are brought in to help. Generally what an artist releases is the best version of a song s/he can produce, musically speaking.
    It kinds of depends on the artist and the recording environment, though. Some performers feed off the energy from a crowd and reach heights they can't reproduce at will in a studio.

It may also have something to do with which version comes first. If they've been bouncing a song off live audiences for awhile and then go into the studio to record it, they can draw on that feedback to make the best studio version possible. If they record it first and then start playing it live, the live version sometimes goes places they never dreamed of in the studio.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

For a Level Playing Field

"Running on Empty" - Jackson Browne

Turn Off Ads?