Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live or Memorex?

Re: Live or Memorex?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The live version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is way better than the studio version.
    I don't think I've ever heard the studio version. I still don't know what the crowd is chanting at the band.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Jason Mraz is an awesome live artist. I have a few of his live accoustic songs.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard the studio version. I still don't know what the crowd is chanting at the band.
    Me neither, but then, I don't speak Japanese.
    Not all who wander are lost

The studio album is a great introduction but live recordings really can take the song to a whole new level. Witness "Prove it All Night" circa 1978
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vUKBOJ5sU

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Me neither, but then, I don't speak Japanese.
    Heck, I didn't know it was Japanese until about a year ago.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Jason Mraz is an awesome live artist. I have a few of his live accoustic songs.
    I've seen him twice in concert (both opening for DMB), and I must say he's better live than in studio.

Now if you want the complete 180 to that, listen to Fuel. They are completely horrible live. I mean absolutely horrendously worthless. They were our "gift" from the SU powers that be my Sophomore year, and wow were they putrid live, but any time I hear them in a studio setting they are actually surprisingly good. Very Jekyl and Hyde.

Here's some food for thought though. The band Live is freakishly awesome live, but noticeably lacking in the studio. I don't know what to make of it, but the 3 times I've heard them open for Counting Crows, they've knocked it out of the park, better than any album they've put out. Just makes me wonder about their name.

But, my favorite for "sucks live, but has made a living in the studio" would have to be without a shadow of a doubt.... Third Eye Blind. They are so so so much better on a CD than they ever could hope to be in front of you. Quite pathetic actually. Maybe they should tour with Fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The studio version is remarkably bad. Had that been the only version released, no one would be talking about it.

Deep Purple's Live In Japan had a couple of excellent live versions: Space Trucking and Highway Star. Though I like the studio versions, the live version is a lot better.
    Free As A Bird by anyone should only be played live.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I was listening to some music last night and just was thinking about some songs that were released both in studio and live and wanted to see if anyone had some opinions on certain songs that were better live than when it was made in the studio.
    Frampton comes to mind. I had his studio albums, like Frampton and Camel which included many of the songs that were on Frampton Comes Alive. Live were much better versions IMO.

Has anyone bought the newly re-mastered Led Zep's The Song Remains The Same?

I liked Rock and Roll on there better then the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Deep Purple's Live In Japan had a couple of excellent live versions: Space Trucking and Highway Star. Though I like the studio versions, the live version is a lot better.
    Brings back memories. Those were excellent.

And the Who's "Live At Leeds", though "live" didn't even sound like a live album. I loved My Generation and Townsend's guitar on that one.

As well as the Allman Brothers "Live At The Fillmore East" - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (awesome).
    Last edited by GAC; 01-12-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Do you have any specific examples you'd like to share with the class?
    Off the top of my head I have a Pearl Jam Live on Two Legs and Live at the Gourge that are great. Now most artists (or bootleggers) sell live versions of concerts. The thing I like about the live versions is that they are unique. The songs are a little different every time they are played. A few years ago I went to the Bon Jovi concert at Riverbend and the first half of it was acoustic. Livin on a Prayer was pretty bad but most of the set was great.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The live version of "Pain Lies on the Riverside" by Live is incredible. That song was meant to be full throttle emotion and the studio version feels restrained in comparison.

Hall and Oates' "Wait for Me" is terrific as well live.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

GAC, you beat me to the punch on Frampton Comes Alive. THat's the first thing that came to mind.

My second Queen album (after The Game) was Live Killers, so I got used to all those songs live. The studio versions have always sounded "flat" to me as a result.

Same for KISS Alive. I heard that first and then the studio versions later, so the live versions are what I consider "normal".

The Counting Crows produce some pretty good studio stuff, but their live performances are off-the-chart fantastic. I think what's even more amazing about their live performances is they'll re-invent each song every time they sing it live.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Free Bird and Gimme Three Steps from Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold & Platimum

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) by Bruce Springsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) by Bruce Springsteen
    I love Bruce.

I love Bruce live.

I can't STAND Rosalita live. I know part of the greatness of Bruce live is that he's always on the edge of total trainwreck, but somehow makes it seem like that's what is supposed to happen, but whenever I hear Rosalita live it sounds like that trainwreck has actually happened.

blah

I hear Rosalita live it sounds like that trainwreck has actually happened.
    Not the Agora Theater 1978

Turn Off Ads?