Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

from Rotoworld:

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes Mike Cameron could soon sign with the Yankees or Brewers.
    The Yankees were saying they wouldn't bring in a starting center fielder even if they dealt Melky Cabrera, but that was just more deception. It is a surprise that they'd perhaps put in a bid for Cameron before trading Cabrera. Rosenthal seems to believe that Cabrera could go to Cubs, Reds, Braves, Royals or Pirates in return for prospects. The Cubs also have some level of interest in Cameron, but he's more likely to get multiple years elsewhere.

I'm not sure I get the hype for Cabrera, especially considering that he's a big piece of the reported Santana deal. His #'s hitting wise seem pedestrian, so I assume he's a helluva centerfielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ORG: Reds in on Melky Cabrera

We have plenty of Melky Cabreras on our roster and in our system

If we could trade Freel I'd take Cabrera in a heartbeat. He's a young, solid player.

Depends on the prospect like always

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Depends on the prospect like always
    Yea, would you give up Dickerson and Fisher for him?

Yes for Dickerson and Fisher also.
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 01-11-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Hell... I'd give them those two and Thompson and Valakia as well!!!

Reds1990

He could bat leadoff and give us the Centerfielder we need while Bruce continues to hone his skills at Triple A. At some point someone will get hurt and Bruce will come up and get his at-bats and contribute. Then when 09 rolls around and we don't pick up Griffey's option how about an outfield of Dunn in left, Cabera in Center, and Bruce in his natural position in right. Sounds like a winner to me. If all the Yanks want are prospects and not our top prospects make the deal yesterday. That means they'll haved signed Cameron and we won't, Thank God.

Melky is terrible. I hope its not true.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Based on what I saw in the Playoffs, he has a hell of an arm. Threw out three or four runners at home with laser throws. Don't know about the rest of his defense. Being a switch hitter is a plus too. He's only 22 which means he could get better offensively. As Clogger says, it all depends on how expensive he is.

I'm not sure you can call him terrible, Blue. I've watched him pretty closely over the last 2 years since he's been on my fantasy team. To be fair, he hasn't really had an opportunity to play a full season as a starter. It's a little hard to know what he's capable of at this point. But he definitely has talent, I assure you that he's not terrible.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    yes

this actually is starting to sound like a very good idea to me for the simple reason that it assures us Griffey's departure at the end of the year and we can slide Bruce to RF. I'm sure Bruce could start the year at AAA and be called up once Griff gets hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm not sure you can call him terrible, Blue. I've watched him pretty closely over the last 2 years since he's been on my fantasy team. To be fair, he hasn't really had an opportunity to play a full season as a starter. It's a little hard to know what he's capable of at this point. But he definitely has talent, I assure you that he's not terrible.
    yes but he has been given 524 and 612 PA's the last two seasons...

Melky isn't a leadoff type hitter. He's more like a #7. He's not horrible at getting on base, but not great. You would expect a .340-.350 OBP at best. He's not a fast guy. He has 25 SB with 10 CS in 286 games. That's just an average at best type of runner. His defense isn't great. He does have a great arm, but his range is poor and he takes bad routes to the ball. He has very little power and is basically a singles hitter with a few doubles.

Melky is just an avg to below avg CF right now. He doesn't have the tools to excel at anything (except throwing) and it's not likely he'll make an dramatic improvement in his game. He's good enough to be a starter, but just as a role player.

I follow the Yanks also and have been watching him for 2 years. He just isn't going to add anything to the team, but he isn't going to take anything away. He's so valuable because he has 4 cheap years left, at league avg CF. That's worth about 8 Mil per year on the FA market.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Melky isn't a leadoff type hitter. He's more like a #7. He's not horrible at getting on base, but not great. You would expect a .340-.350 OBP at best. He's not a fast guy. He has 25 SB with 10 CS in 286 games. That's just an average at best type of runner. His defense isn't great. He does have a great arm, but his range is poor and he takes bad routes to the ball. He has very little power and is basically a singles hitter with a few doubles.

Melky is just an avg to below avg CF right now. He doesn't have the tools to excel at anything (except throwing) and it's not likely he'll make an dramatic improvement in his game. He's good enough to be a starter, but just as a role player.

I follow the Yanks also and have been watching him for 2 years. He just isn't going to add anything to the team, but he isn't going to take anything away. He's so valuable because he has 4 cheap years left, at league avg CF. That's worth about 8 Mil per year on the FA market.
    Last year he was 28 runs better than the replacement CF- pretty good!

Turn Off Ads?