Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds hire Jocketty as special advisor

Reds hire Jocketty as special advisor

per the Reds sight

CINCINNATI -- The Reds hired former Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty on Friday as a special advisor to owner/chief executive officer Bob Castellini.

According to a Reds press release, Jocketty "will advise and assist Castellini in every facet of baseball operations, including matters related to the front office, Major League field and support personnel, scouting and Minor League and international operations along with training and medical services."

Jocketty spent the last 13 seasons as GM with St. Louis, where Castellini was a minority stakeholder before he bought the Reds. The Cardinals relieved Jocketty of his duties after last season.

During Jocketty's tenure, the Cardinals went to the postseason seven times and won the 2006 World Series. He was named Major League Baseball's Executive of the Year by The Sporting News in 2000 and 2004 and by Baseball America in 2000.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds hire Jocketty as special advisor

If Jocketty becomes the GM after this year, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Senor Votto

Another good move for the Reds this offseason. I'm really impressed with them this offseason. A new manager, a new closer, another good pitching prospect, and now a man that has a lot of experience being a GM that could possibly help Wayne. I believe they really want to win next year and make the playoffs within the next few years.

got alil captain in u?

good move by the reds organization. Castellini has shown people he wants to win now having another good baseball mind is the organization is sure not a bad thing. It also keeps the heat on Krivsky. He knows he has to do his job or there is a qualified person in the organization that could take his job.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's that about?
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    What's that about?
    I suppose he is worried that Walt Jocketty might be the new GM after 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I suppose he is worried that Walt Jocketty might be the new GM after 2008.
    O.K., and his reasoning? Walt has a winner and WK got us BP. I love me some BP, but a winner is a winner.

O.K., and his reasoning? Walt has a winner and WK got us BP. I love me some BP, but a winner is a winner.
    Batting practice???
    Pathei mathos...

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    Batting practice???

The reason I don't like it is because 1) the Reds can't keep changing GM's and rebuilding plans and expect to have a sustained winning team (that is, unless they want to become a big market team). 2) Walt hasn't done well getting prospects the last couple of years. The Cardinals minor league depth is thin and he only trades away prospects, he doesn't trade for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    The reason I don't like it is because 1) the Reds can't keep changing GM's and rebuilding plans and expect to have a sustained winning team (that is, unless they want to become a big market team). 2) Walt hasn't done well getting prospects the last couple of years. The Cardinals minor league depth is thin and he only trades away prospects, he doesn't trade for them.
    1) The Reds have not changed Gm's they have added a "special advisor." Krivsky is still the GM. This is from the enquirer.

"I'm still the GM. I still report to Bob. Everyone under me still reports to me. Nothing's changed in that regard," Krivsky said.

"We're just adding another experienced baseball man. Walt and I have followed similar career paths. He's been a GM a lot longer and had more success than me. It's another set of eyes and ears. We believe in the same things: That you build a club through scouting and player development."

And this says volumes about his role with the Reds.

Jocketty said he had offers from other clubs. Three factors led him to take the job with the Reds: His relationship with Castellini; the fact that he was reporting directly to the owner; and the fact that St. Louis is close enough that he can keep his residence there.

If he was really taking over the team, he would move here.

2) Teams in contention trade for veterans, not prospects. The Cardinals were almost always in contention with Jocketty at the helm. He did acquire some prospects, like Marquis and Wainwright, and Carpenter was very young when he picked him up from the Blue Jays.

But he also does not have a history of trading top prospects for veterans. The Mulder trade is the only example of that in his 12 year career. Jocketty is notorious for buying low, and finding quality veterans on the cheap. McGwire, Rolen, Finley, Will Clark, Edmonds, Stottlemyre, and Woody Williams were all acquired for next to nothing.

What's that about?
    this thread should be moved to the other one...

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1) The Reds have not changed Gm's they have added a "special advisor." Krivsky is still the GM. This is from the enquirer.

"I'm still the GM. I still report to Bob. Everyone under me still reports to me. Nothing's changed in that regard," Krivsky said.

"We're just adding another experienced baseball man. Walt and I have followed similar career paths. He's been a GM a lot longer and had more success than me. It's another set of eyes and ears. We believe in the same things: That you build a club through scouting and player development."

And this says volumes about his role with the Reds.

Jocketty said he had offers from other clubs. Three factors led him to take the job with the Reds: His relationship with Castellini; the fact that he was reporting directly to the owner; and the fact that St. Louis is close enough that he can keep his residence there.

If he was really taking over the team, he would move here.

2) Teams in contention trade for veterans, not prospects. The Cardinals were almost always in contention with Jocketty at the helm. He did acquire some prospects, like Marquis and Wainwright, and Carpenter was very young when he picked him up from the Blue Jays.

But he also does not have a history of trading top prospects for veterans. The Mulder trade is the only example of that in his 12 year career. Jocketty is notorious for buying low, and finding quality veterans on the cheap. McGwire, Rolen, Finley, Will Clark, Edmonds, Stottlemyre, and Woody Williams were all acquired for next to nothing.
    But I still think Bob is just waiting for WK's contract to be up so he can put Walt in. The only reason he got Carpenter was because he was consistently injured as a Blue Jay. I don't believe in the system of if you're in contention you trade prospects for veterans. Prospects, when they pan out, are very good for the team in terms of talent and salary. If you are in contention, you build for today without sacrificing the future. That means going out in the FA market and spending there.

Turn Off Ads?