Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Chad Johnson hints at trade demand

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Football fans are the worst. They just turn on their players at the drop of a hat over something they probably don't understand in the first place. I went to or watched just about every game this season and Chad was not the problem. If there is a long list of problems Chad and his antics are near the bottom. The problem this season was letting Damon Huard, SF's QB, and JP Losman beat them. The problem was Rudi not running like he used to. The problem was Willie being out most of the season. The problem was stagnant play calling or Carson throwing 3 pick 6's to the same CB in one game (one got called back but shouldn't have).

Look at the teams who have had great WR's and let them go. The Vikings, Niners, and Eagles. You don't replace a top notch WR. Ask the Lions how easy it is to draft a top WR. Instead of complaining about what Chad does be grateful that you have a WR of his caliber and go out and fix the other parts of the team.
    I can think of at least 3 late game drops by Chad on 3rd down this past season that may very well have cost them games (Buffalo being the most memorable).

To say that Chad deserves "no" blame is also incorrect.

But of course he tends to attract the most attention to himself, probably more so than anyone else in the entire NFL. It gets old.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Keep grinding that axe.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Are we talking about Chad again?

Chad Johnson may be a problem; but he's not the problem. It's a culmination of several things IMO. Many of which have been sighted throughout the course of this season (i.e. defense, injuries, lack of discipline). So there is no need to rehash all of that.

When I hear Lewis, as well as some of the players, talking publically about selfishness, and they define that selfishness as guys complaining about their playing time, not getting the ball enough, or not getting paid what they think (contracts) - and these are all things that the above have alluded to and it has come out during the course of this past season - then where there is smoke there is fire. You can't simply shrug your shoulders and blow it off when the head coach and various players have stated such.

And from what I've seen (and heard), every time these things have come out and names are never mentioned, for the most part, it's mostly Chad who feels he has to have a press conference or go to the media and counter or address these "accusations" as if he feels they are directly aimed at him. Guilty conscience, or just over-reacting and paranoid? There has been one exception I remember when TJ also came out and made a statement after one of Lewis' press interviews. But for the most part it has been Chad. And then again, maybe it's the media going after Chad to see how he'll react. Either way, Chad still doesn't do well with his mouth.

But going on ESPN's Mike and Mike, regardless of what people may think of them and their show, and then Johnson airing his complaints about the Bengals, and IMO, appearing AGAIN to try and garner sympathy and get people to feel sorry for him, just further exasperates the situation. It really serves no good IMO.

The guy is a talent. No denying that. But he is also emotionally high strung. And IMO he wears those emotions on his sleeve. He's his own worst enemy as far as I'm concerned.

Set aside and separate the elaborate and planned TD celebrations and various other attention-getting antics he has done (the haircut, Ocho Cinco Jacket, etc). Fans say he's just having fun and being entertaining. Fine. You still just can't explain away the various situations that have occurred between Johnson and the head coach, coaching staff, and Palmer, beginning with that halftime display vs the Steelers a couple years ago, and the various on-field and sideline altercations that have occurred since when they are seen on camera.

They could trade CJ tomorrow and the problems the Bengals incurred this past season aren't going to go away. Again - he may not be the root cause; but he does seem to exasperate them. I'm sorry, but I don't think the guy's personality allows him to be a team player.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Keep grinding that axe.

It's not really an axe. I'm pretty much indifferent about him. I just find it funny how so many people are willing to take up for his behavior.

Yeah, he's a tremendous talent. Never denied that.

He's also the poster boy for the "it's all about me" segment of today's NFL. I don't think he's very funny, frankly. Maybe if his writers would come up with a better routine, I'd laugh.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

It's not really an axe.
    It's not like, in certain situations, he hasn't axed for it. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't know. I've always felt Chad was more of a team guy than some sectors of the media like to portray him. This season has been very out of character for him. I just get the feeling that this whole business has been because Rosenhaus has been in Chad's ear all year long, playing off Chad's own insecurities so that he can get a trade and a new deal. I'm inclined to fault Bengals' management for not recognizing that Chad is susceptible to taking media criticism to heart and making sure he knows where he stands with the organization.

Personally, I think if Chad had people in his corner thinking of his best interests, they'd be telling him to forget what the media says and go out there and do his best. If he does that and the Bengals still stink, he could likely ask for a trade. Not only would he be more sympathetic, but his cap hit would be less and he would be easier to trade. My question is, does Rosenhaus make any money from Chad's current deal? I remember Chad had signed a deal before Rosenhaus came on board, so maybe this is a way for Rosenhaus to try and wrangle something so that he can start making money off Chad's contract rather than just his endorsements alone.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I believe Rosensnake negotiated Chad's current deal, Yacht.

I imagine him pouring poison into Chad's ear on a steady basis.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I believe Rosensnake negotiated Chad's current deal, Yacht.

I imagine him pouring poison into Chad's ear on a steady basis.
    Could be. I wasn't sure if Rosenhaus had gotten an extension or not. I just remember that he came on board right after Chad had negotiated a new contract, such that Chad had originally said he'd be primarily focusing on Chad's endorsement deals.

I imagine Rosenhaus probably feels he need to get his clients a new deal every few years, regardless of the length of the current contract. I've never really been a fan of the way the NFL handles contracts, because I feel it encourages agents to counsel their clients to make asses out of themselves in order to engineer a new deal or a trade. Why? Because all the money from the contract is in that signing bonus they get up front. Once they get that money, there isn't always the incentive to play out a non-guaranteed contract. Without guaranteed contracts, nobody seems to take them seriously. Maybe if a guy knew he was stuck with his team until his contract runs out, he wouldn't be so quick to trash his team in the media as a means of getting out of town.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Im pretty sure Rosenhaus wasnt chads agent when he signed his extension

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Im pretty sure Rosenhaus wasnt chads agent when he signed his extension
    He was for the most recent extension that he signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    He was for the most recent extension that he signed.
    when was this one?

It's not really an axe. I'm pretty much indifferent about him. I just find it funny how so many people are willing to take up for his behavior.

Yeah, he's a tremendous talent. Never denied that.

He's also the poster boy for the "it's all about me" segment of today's NFL. I don't think he's very funny, frankly. Maybe if his writers would come up with a better routine, I'd laugh.
    It just drives me crazy that anyone thinks he's the problem with the Bengals.

You are always going to have huge egos on a professional sports team. It's the job of management to keep it in check and to put together a team that meshes. TO and Randy Moss have both been labeled far bigger cancers than Chad Johnson, and they both play for winning football teams now.

Chad produces, and that's all I really care about and all that really matters. I have no idea who actually has a problem with him in the Bengals locker room or front office, but odds are the guys who don't like him aren't half as good at their jobs as Chad is at his.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

[QUOTE=WilyMoROCKS;1533379

Ever heard Scott Ferrall? THAT'S what sports radio should sound like.[/QUOTE]

How can you stand to listen to that froggy voiced hack for more than 2 minutes is beyond me. Mike and Mike are fun and are ok for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. I prefer Colin Cowherd to M&M though.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 01-13-2008 at 07:22 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Cowherd is a mongo, he went on for days about how Jacoby ellbury would be an all star in the NL but cant even get on the field in the AL.

Turn Off Ads?