Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Chad Threatens to Sit Out 2008 Season if not traded.

A couple links...

http://www.georgetownnews.com/articl.../sports03.txt:
    Bengals do not need Johnson - commentary

Chad Johnson has not outgrown the Bengals.

The Bengals have outgrown Chad Johnson. And he knows it.

It's the only reason the attention-starved wide receiver ran the gamut of radio row before the Super Bowl this week in Phoenix and openly politicked for a ticket out of Cincinnati going anywhere.

"I'm going to be playing for your team next year," Johnson told a Boston reporter while he folded his hands together in prayer. Before a separate interview, he wrote on a note pad to Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, "Can I play in Seattle?"

Johnson went on Charlotte airwaves and pleaded for Panthers coach John Fox to "come get me," and desperately crowed to a Chicago radio station that he could turn beleaguered Bears quarterback Rex Grossman into a superstar.

"I've worked myself to the point where I make my quarterback look good regardless of what he does," Johnson said.

Yeah, right. Remember how good Johnson made Carson Palmer look this season in San Francisco when he couldn't handle a perfectly lobbed pass in the end zone that would have put the Bengals in position to tie the 49ers with less than three minutes to play in the fourth quarter?

Still, no one really disputes Johnson's talent. The four-time Pro Bowler is the only player to have led either conference in receiving yards four straight seasons. He is the team's all-time leader in receiving yards (8,365) and receptions (559).

And, almost as impressively, he seemed to single-handedly make Cincinnati once again relevant in the NFL.

The only time orange and black was seen on national TV from the mid-1990s to 2003 was in another team's highlight reel until Johnson made good on a guaranteed win against the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs.

His various end zone celebrations captivated fans - at least when it didn't warrant a 15-yard penalty. No. 85 preened for the cameras with his gold teeth and charmed audiences as he anointed himself "Ocho Cinco."

But the more one-liners the receiver uttered, the more evident it became he didn't truly understand the language - he has no substance.

Behavior considered cute early in life rarely appeals later in the maturation process. Johnson's song and dance simply wore thin as his me-first attitude became prevalent.

Chad is only about winning if Chad can make the team a winner. He's a lot like the kid in seventh grade that would rather be a star on the "B" team as opposed to a role player on the stack team.

It's no surprise the team-oriented Patriots are once again in the Super Bowl, and no wonder the Giants found success minus the divisive locker room presence of Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey.

The Bengals do not need Johnson to be relevant with one of the league's elite quarterbacks in the fold. Mike Brown needs to build his team around Palmer, and cast off the loud-mouthed receiver for a bounty of draft picks.

Or, if Johnson's recent antics have killed his trade value, keep his rights and shut him down. Don't let him sniff the field. Perhaps an example needs to be made to prevent the next Johnson or Corey Dillon or Carl Pickens or whomever.

Either way, Johnson should never suit up in stripes again. And the Bengals will be better off because of it.

Adios, Ocho Cinco.
    And profootballtalk.com:
    As a league source has explained it to us, Johnson definitely wants out of Cincinnati. But the plan is (was) to not go public with the matter, and to try to finesse a trade behind the scenes. Johnson, in our view, erred badly by wearing his emotions on his shirt more visibly than a heavy white dose of that Degree antiperspirant he was pimping all week in Phoenix.

Also, we've been told that the Bengals won't budge and that, if Johnson wants to sit, they'll let him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Would the Bengals be a better team without Chad ala Tiki Barber gone and Shockey out with injury? Sometimes teams are better without he Me first guys.
    Unfortunately, the Bengals do not have NY's defensive line.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Go ahead and sit, Chad...it's your paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I love this "player". No one can hold reporters accountable so they are free to pretty much make stuff up. How many stories involving chad have been totally bogus in the last year? i think its getting upwards of double digits.
    What are some of these bogus stories, or stories that the media made up?

It's amazing how some do their best to completely exonerate this guy regardless of what he says or does.

I'm no fan of the media. And I stated prior that they love a good, juicy story. As far as I'm concerned - personalities like Chad and the media deserve each other. And they media will "milk" it for what they can as long as that individual continues to say and do things that continue to give the story life and refuse to let it die..... like Chad, during Super Bowl week, purposely making the rounds of the media and saying these things.

It was Chad seeking out the media. It was Chad out there trying to draw attention to himself during a huge media week prior to the biggest football game of the year. He (and maybe his agent) knew exactly what they were doing. It was calculated IMHO.

And you're saying he didn't say these things when it's a matter of record caught on camera or tape? That it's somehow all the media's fault?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

It's amazing how some do their best to completely exonerate this guy regardless of what he says or does.

I'm no fan of the media. And I stated prior that they love a good, juicy story. As far as I'm concerned - personalities like Chad and the media deserve each other. And they media will "milk" it for what they can as long as that individual continues to say and do things that continue to give the story life and refuse to let it die..... like Chad, during Super Bowl week, purposely making the rounds of the media and saying these things.

It was Chad seeking out the media. It was Chad out there trying to draw attention to himself during a huge media week prior to the biggest football game of the year. He (and maybe his agent) knew exactly what they were doing. It was calculated IMHO.

And you're saying he didn't say these things when it's a matter of record caught on camera or tape? That it's somehow all the media's fault?
    Just because they media can write stories that cant be proved wrong doesnt mean they are 100% legit. Doc wrote a story about how a large portion of the Bengals vets wanted Chad sat down for a bunch of games, yet weeks later Doc started saying how he was just speculating.

Mortensen has been wrong about a lot of stories this year, either his source is terrible or he floats crap and hopes it sticks. Lance Mcallister has "people" tell him junk all the time he says yet none of it ever can be proven. A lot of guys are sensationalist these days because if the gains of being 1st are much more than the losses of being completely wrong.

They get away with crap because no one governs them. Fact is if they can make it up and get away with it what stops them from making more up?
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 02-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.

In this case, he's talking about Chris Mortensen's midseason report alleging that inside sources were concerned about Chad's behavior. The way he reported it on ESPN, Mort made it sound like his alleged inside source told him the Bengals might look to trade Chad in the offseason. I think it was only when Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com asked him about what source told him the Bengals wanted to trade Chad that Mort admitted that no one told him that, it was merely his analysis of the situation. I think it's fair to say, at least in Chris Mortensen's case, that he lost a bit of credibility when talking about the Bengals. Of course Chad has been using Mort's original "inside source" story as evidence the Bengals don't have his back, even though it was merely Mort's speculation, not actual talk from the Bengals. From there the national pundits started having a field day. The only real thing from the local media that was really anti-Chad was Daugherty's column. I guess that really hurt him because that's when he decided not to talk to the local media. Yet he continues to take his dog-and-pony show to the national media and refuses to talk to the locals. So I think Chad gets what he deserves.

I was willing to give Chad Johnson a pass on his celebrations and his tantrums when things weren't going right because his past work on and off the field, including getting together with Palmer to watch the Colts and inviting the Bengals receivers to his place for off-season workouts, indicated to me that he was a team player who was just passionate about football. Unfortunately, his behavior in the last week has completely changed my opinion on him.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    In this case, he's talking about Chris Mortensen's midseason report alleging that inside sources were concerned about Chad's behavior. The way he reported it on ESPN, Mort made it sound like his alleged inside source told him the Bengals might look to trade Chad in the offseason. I think it was only when Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com asked him about what source told him the Bengals wanted to trade Chad that Mort admitted that no one told him that, it was merely his analysis of the situation. I think it's fair to say, at least in Chris Mortensen's case, that he lost a bit of credibility when talking about the Bengals. Of course Chad has been using Mort's original "inside source" story as evidence the Bengals don't have his back, even though it was merely Mort's speculation, not actual talk from the Bengals. From there the national pundits started having a field day. The only real thing from the local media that was really anti-Chad was Daugherty's column. I guess that really hurt him because that's when he decided not to talk to the local media. Yet he continues to take his dog-and-pony show to the national media and refuses to talk to the locals. So I think Chad gets what he deserves.
    I agree Mortensen was totally off base in that particular instance. But one can't contend though that because of him that a majority of the media's stories/reporting on Chad are bogus and/or made up.

Where there is smoke there is fire. And I believe that Chad is his own worst enemy. It's not the media hurting Chad as much as it's Chad himself. Again - he's the one who went done there prior to the Super Bowl week where there is more media then flies. And I have no problem with players doing that. I'm sure there were a lot of players down there for the game.

But it's what Chad did with that opportunity when talking with the media. It was all about Chad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I agree Mortensen was totally off base in that particular instance. But one can't contend though that because of him that a majority of the media's stories/reporting on Chad are bogus and/or made up.

Where there is smoke there is fire. And I believe that Chad is his own worst enemy. It's not the media hurting Chad as much as it's Chad himself. Again - he's the one who went done there prior to the Super Bowl week where there is more media then flies. And I have no problem with players doing that. I'm sure there were a lot of players down there for the game.

But it's what Chad did with that opportunity when talking with the media. It was all about Chad.
    And I agree with you. The people I think should really be ticked off are the Degree deodorant people. I believe he was supposed to be promoting Degree as part of his little tour, but he seemed to be spending all his time campaigning to get on a new team.

I think what people are forgetting is that Chad didnt say a single word all season.

Pretty much the only thing he said was something along the lines of "how can i celebrate when we arent winning"

What would the Bengals brass do if Johnson played the Pro Bowl game in a Dolphins helmet? I know it is a stretch but if he is that insistent on getting out of town don't be surprised if he does something at the Pro Bowl to force the front office to act
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    What would the Bengals brass do if Johnson played the Pro Bowl game in a Dolphins helmet? I know it is a stretch but if he is that insistent on getting out of town don't be surprised if he does something at the Pro Bowl to force the front office to act
    I really doubt he would be even allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I really doubt he would be even allowed to do that.
    Obviously the idea of him wearing a different helmet is pretty far fetched. However the premise of him doing something at the Pro Bowl is not out of the realm of possibility. I am an Ocho Cinco supporter but even I know Chad craves attention.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Chad Johnson To Play In Pro-Bowl.

Yes it is true.

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Following the lead of his quarterback, New England Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss pulled out of the Pro Bowl on Monday.

Earlier Monday, it was announced Patriots record-setting quarterback Tom Brady would not play in this weekend's game in Honolulu.

It was disclosed Moss suffered some type of injury in Super Bowl XLII on Sunday when the Patriots' bid for perfection ended with a stunning 17-14 loss to the New York Giants.

Moss, who set a single-season record with 23 touchdown catches, had a 6-yard TD reception with 2:42 remaining to give the Pats a 14-10 lead.

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson will replace Moss in Sunday's game. The talkative Johnson had 93 receptions for 1,440 yards and eight touchdowns this season.

Updated on Monday, Feb 4, 2008 2:54 pm, EST
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Maybe if Chad does well it will get rid of some of the drama going on around him and he will shut his mouth.

[QUOTE=KoryMac5;1546649] I am an Ocho Cinco supporter QUOTE]

Why?

I honestly can't find a reason for Bengals fans to support him at this point in time. I always feared his true colors would come out and unfortunately they have. I always liked Chad, but he has gone way overboard in the last few weeks. Something major will have to change for me to support him again.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Re: Chad Johnson To Play In Pro-Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fan Chris View Post
    Yes it is true.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Maybe if Chad does well it will get rid of some of the drama going on around him and he will shut his mouth.
    I think the opposite will happen. I think he'll throw some gasoline on the drama.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?