Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Would you trade Chad Johnson for a #1 pick?

It was over Eric Steinbach and how many games he single handedly won for the browns this year or something

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    It was over Eric Steinbach and how many games he single handedly won for the browns this year or something
    right... I don't think either one of you understood what the other was thinking, and I didn't understand either of you...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

It would have been a great 3 stooges routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I dont buy that one player (Steinbach) would have made the difference between being a playoff team and not being a playoff team. The offensive woes this season were a combination of injuries to the two starting tackles and the running game. Whitworth and Andrews played pretty good this season and IMO that they would have been able to replace Steinbach with out losing too much had Levi and Willie stayed healthy this year. The bengals made their decision and let Steinbach walk because they didn't want to pay him tackle money to play guard. The Seahawks did the same thing a few years ago with their all world guard. It was a decision they made, you cant keep everyone.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    This is pretty well where I'm at too.

Chad doing and saying stupid things is a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself. Put him in with the right coaches and team leaders and he's fine. Look at Randy Moss. Good teams don't let this stuff happen.
    Randy Moss is in trouble right now. Not sure if its true, but perhaps the Pats got distracted and let someone out of the gulag.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    right... I don't think either one of you understood what the other was thinking, and I didn't understand either of you...
    I just said the browns won 10 games because they had a solid QB a good RB and drafted a great player in Joe thomas, not just because they signed Steinbach. Those other things had way more to do with just bringing in a free agent.

chad johnson trade picks 1st rounder topic details what ifs

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It would have been a great 3 stooges routine.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I dont buy that one player (Steinbach) would have made the difference between being a playoff team and not being a playoff team. The offensive woes this season were a combination of injuries to the two starting tackles and the running game. Whitworth and Andrews played pretty good this season and IMO that they would have been able to replace Steinbach with out losing too much had Levi and Willie stayed healthy this year. The bengals made their decision and let Steinbach walk because they didn't want to pay him tackle money to play guard. The Seahawks did the same thing a few years ago with their all world guard. It was a decision they made, you cant keep everyone.
    I don't think the killer on the O-Line was the difference between Steinbach and Whitworth and/or Andrews, but rather the fact that the Bengals could no longer slide Steinbach over to C if Ghiachuc struggled or got hurt. I understand the reason why they didn't keep him and thought it was a good idea when they let him go, but in retrospect, I think they would have been better off resigning him rather than putting the franchise tag on Justin Smith. Or even better, I think they would have been better off going whole hog after a guy like Adalius Thomas.

Keeping Steinbach wouldn't have necessarily won more games, but I think there would have been more flexibility on the offensive line and less of a drop off in performance when Anderson, Jones, and Ghiachuc were injured or were struggling.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Steinbach is a good player and was a nice pickup for the Browns, but given the Benglals situation, he's not someone I would have given 50+ million. You can certainly debate whether it was worthwhile to resign the tackles for that kind of money, though.

It's worth noting that the Bengals scored 45 points at Cleveland (while the defense of course allowed 51), so unless you expected the offense to score 52 points, I'm not so sure that we missed Steinbach that game.

Re: Chad Johnson hints at trade demand

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Chad Johnson getting a penalty for excessive celebration is no worse than another player getting a penalty for a late hit or roughing the kicker.
    Then you've obviously haven't been listening to me because the excessive and pre-planned endzone celebrations, as well as his sideline antics, which are designed to draw attention to himself, are not an issue with me. I've said that repeatedly.....

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Again - it's not about the endzone celebrations or attention getting antics some define as having fun and being entertaining
    I've never liked the excessive "self promotion" and egos that are displayed every Sunday during games. Whether it's a guy scoring a TD, or a LBer making a sack/tackle and having to stand up and beat his chest like it's all about me.

So it's not just Chad in that sense.

But what I have said....

but when an obviously high-strung and emotional player, when things aren't going his way or the team is losing, is having confrontations with other players and the coaching staff in the locker room and on the sidelines. No one is going to convince me that those latter items aren't a problem, and can prove to be a distraction for a team. It was with T.O., Moss, and Keyshawn - but it's somehow different with Chad?
    As I stated before - many feel he is a problem. Not the problem. There is a difference.
    And when it's alluded to by the head coach and various other Bengal players, who are in that locker room, and that it's a problem, then I don't think it's something to be lightly disregarded.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    GAC, I am willing to give Chad some slack because 1) his performance on the field
    So one's performance on the field somehow cancels out or justifies their behavior? If so, then why were players like T.O., Moss, Keyshawn, and many others if we wanted to expand the list, who are/were all considered elite receivers/players catching so much grief from the fans and media for their conduct?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    2) his antics in the past have largely been harmless.
    If you're referring to the endzone celebrations, Ocho Cinco jacket, and similar stuff, then I agree Yachtzee. And I've stated that prior. I've never said those things proved to be a detriment to the team. Just, IMHO, that he's a self-serving egotist and a jackass. But again, I don't think that hurts the team.

I can only hope his current behavior is merely frustration at the backsliding the Bengals saw this season, a frustration that many of us Bengals fans feel ourselves..... The question is, do you want a passionate guy willing to work hard on a team trying to shed its past history or do you want a guy who only seems to play nice with his teammates when they're already winning?
    And it has been frustrating Yachtzee.... for all the Bengal players, not just Chad.

He may have passion; but I think that is an insult to some of the other players on that team who also have passion and the will to want to win; but they somehow don't express it in the same vocal and outward way that Chad seems to do.

His emotionalism, which we all admit has gotten out of hand (control) at times, including during games, can't always be described or excused away as "passion" IMO.

Again - it's the head coach and various players who have alluded to this as a problem.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

So one's performance on the field somehow cancels out or justifies their behavior? If so, then why were players like T.O., Moss, Keyshawn, and many others if we wanted to expand the list, who are/were all considered elite receivers/players catching so much grief from the fans and media for their conduct?

If you're referring to the endzone celebrations, Ocho Cinco jacket, and similar stuff, then I agree Yachtzee. And I've stated that prior. I've never said those things proved to be a detriment to the team. Just, IMHO, that he's a self-serving egotist and a jackass. But again, I don't think that hurts the team.

And it has been frustrating Yachtzee.... for all the Bengal players, not just Chad.

He may have passion; but I think that is an insult to some of the other players on that team who also have passion and the will to want to win; but they somehow don't express it in the same vocal and outward way that Chad seems to do.

His emotionalism, which we all admit has gotten out of hand (control) at times, including during games, can't always be described or excused away as "passion" IMO.

Again - it's the head coach and various players who have alluded to this as a problem.
    See, I think you're giving Chad too little credit for what he contributes to the team. It's easy to extrapolate from his goofy endzone stuff and hall of fame jacket bs to say he's a negative influence. Numerous players and Marvin Lewis have all said that they don't have a problem with him, he's passionate and he works hard. The two incidents that get cited most, the blow up at halftime during the playoff game against Pittsburgh and his "tiff" on the sideline with Carson Palmer have both been described by all parties involved as overblown and not what the media makes them out to be.

Marvin Lewis has alluded to selfishness, but has never stated who is selfish. It's the media that points to Chad, even though Marvin Lewis has stated that Chad is not the problem and that he likes Chad's passion.

I think you give too much credit to other Bengals players as well. I think there are a number of selfish guys on the team and their names are not Chad Johnson. Some of those guys don't have a right to be as frustrated as Chad because they are the cause of the frustration. The facts are, Chad (and TJ, who also has a strong opinion of himself and just dishes it out to opposing fans rather than the media) performs on the field and helps the team win football games. A number of Bengals have not performed on the field and have helped the Bengals lose football games. If you knew more about some of the other "characters" on the Bengals, you wouldn't worry so much about Chad. In fact, from what I've heard Chris Henry is far more of a disruption in the locker room than Chad, yet a lot of people seem to believe that the Bengals should trade Chad and move Henry to his spot.

I think the difference between Chad and TO, Moss, and Keyshawn is that they went beyond just self-promotion. It's one thing to actively promote one's own accomplishments, but it's another to actively sabotage your own team's efforts. Moss has admitted that he took plays off and didn't give his best effort in Minnesota and Oakland. He also actively dogged the coaching staff in the middle of the season. TO openly questioned the sexuality of one of his QBs and thrashed another in public during a season where he was such a locker room disruption that caused the team to suspend him for the rest of the season. Keyshawn did a pretty good job of wearing out his welcome with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Chad's antics are harmless by comparison.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Chad has never thrown anyone under the bus or even said anything remotely negative about the bengals.

Then you've obviously haven't been listening to me because the excessive and pre-planned endzone celebrations, as well as his sideline antics, which are designed to draw attention to himself, are not an issue with me. I've said that repeatedly.....

Why would I listen to you?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?