Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Chad's comments about playing for the Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    He has never demanded a new deal.
    And you know this with surety how?

If his agent, as some allude, is behind some of Chad's current actions, then for what benefit?

And are you saying that Lewis was lying earlier in the season when, during an interview, he alluded, without naming names, that certain players were more worried about their contracts?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-30-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I guess I cant say it with out a doubt but I guess that also means Palmer might have demanded new deals also.

I guess because the surprise of the deals to the fans and the media having no knowledge of it makes me think it wasn't much of a demand.

If his agent, as some allude, is behind some of Chad's current actions, then for what benefit?

And are you saying that Lewis was lying earlier in the season when, during an interview, he alluded, without naming names, that certain players were more worried about their contracts?
    I think he was talking about free agents more than players under contract.

and im talking in previous years when Chad signed new deals, he might be demanding a new one now for all I know

I don't agree. I don't see Drew as the one running to the media and making controversial comments, giving self-absorbed interviews, and playing "wink wink" games. And if Drew is "behind the scenes" advising and encouraging Chad to do so, for what ever reasons (new contract, more money, wanting out), then where does Chad's accountability and responsibility begin?

Is the guy that much of a puppet in the control of his agent that he can't sit down and rationally realize what results are going to come out of this type of behavior/actions? You can't just put the majority of the blame on the agent. There are many who still support Chad, yet as he continues to do stuff like this, those legions are starting to abandon ship.

The media loves stuff like this. They don't really care about Chad anymore then they do any other player (or even celebrity) that has done controversial or selfish stuff. It's currently a "juicy" story. And when you have a personality like a Chad Johnsons involved, then they are going to push it and milk it for all it's worth. And the media knows, again due to the type of personality involved, that they can keep going to Chad (or visa versa) and he's going to keep throwing logs on that fire.Then when they've gotten what they want out of it they'll then move on.

And the media knows, again due to the type of personality involved, that they can keep going to Chad (or visa versa) and he's going to keep throwing logs on that fire. That's what I meant earlier abut the media having a "two-edged sword".

That's not exonerating Chad Johnson and putting the blame on the media. Only that he (and even Marvin) should smarten up and realize that they can't win when it comes to the media.

I listened to an extensive interview a couple days ago with a college basketball coach on an upcoming opponent. It was a big game. Yet the following day, what "selected" clip do they play the next morning? Where the coach tells the media, when asked what his game plan was going to be, that he wasn't, through the media, going to disclose what his game plan was going to be, and that would be kinda silly.

This is the arrogance ("How dare you!") of the media.

Steve Carlton was a very smart man.

He's happy when things go his way..... and not so when it ain't.
    Chad Johnson is like Tina Turner to the Media's Ike Turner. They make great music together and then Media Ike gets drunk (needs a good story) and beats up on Chad Tina. Chad Tina gets upset and then Media Ike says "Hey baby. I'm sorry. That wasn't me, it was the Bengals. I still love you." So then Chad Tina blames the Bengals for his woes and still stays with the abusive husband that is Media Ike. Unfortunately, Chad Tina won't realize it's really Media Ike who has the problem until it's too late for the Bengals.

As far as Rosenhaus goes, he's not the puppet master, he's just an opportunist trying to exploit the situation. I guarantee you he's not trying to smooth things over. Discord between the team and his client usually results in more money for him. Well, unless that arbitrator's decision in the T.O. case is upheld.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Yes he did but he also was talking to Miami media and I also could just write that off as Chad trying to self promote like he always does.

He might want out but he hasnt gone as far as demanding it or saying its inevitable. Maybe I just perceive it a little differently.
    If you're out with your wife or girlfriend, you go to the restroom and return to find her smiling face-to-face with another guy, she wants out. She may not have said she wants out, but she wants out. Sometimes actions speak so loudly that words aren't necessary.
    Last edited by macro; 01-31-2008 at 01:23 AM.

How about if people talked crap about your girlfriend and you never stood up for her. Is that kinda like what the bengals did? Is it her fault for wanting to leave you or is it your fault?

I didn't make any claims as to who was at fault with my analogy. You said that he hadn't said that he wants to be traded, and I simply stated that his actions say otherwise. That being said, any crap that has been talked about Chad was largely brought on by himself. When you constantly make yourself the center of attention, don't complain when you become just that: the center of attention. He could have avoided all of this by playing football and keeping his mouth shut on the sidelines, in the locker room, and in front of the microphones and cameras.

He didnt say a word during the season and people still wrote that hes a problem. I guess he really couldnt have avoided it.
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 01-31-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I am not a Bengals fan, however, it looks like all the talk I used to hear about Chad--"he just wants to have fun, he doesnt mean any harm" has taken an evil turn. I wouldnt touch Ocho Cinco with a ten foot pole now---he has become the cancer known as Terrell Owens
    The biggest complaint about TO is that he threw his Qb's under the bus. Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer are great friends and both support each other more than any other player on the team. Sounds EXACTLY like TO I guess.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I didn't make any claims as to who was at fault with my analogy. You said that he hadn't said that he wants to be traded, and I simply stated that his actions say otherwise. That being said, any crap that has been talked about Chad was largely brought on by himself. When you constantly make yourself the center of attention, don't complain when you become just that: the center of attention. He could have avoided all of this by playing football and keeping his mouth shut on the sidelines, in the locker room, and in front of the microphones and cameras.
    I seriously doubt it. He said nothing most of this year and yet I heard all season how he was the problem because of a few dropped passes. He was given WAY more heat than deserved for such a bad team. You must have forgotten what city we live in? The best players always get the most heat and definitely if the fans/media start spewing bs about either work ethic(Dunn) and attitude(CJ). This town does a great job in ruining the best things the city has to offer in terms of sports entertainment. I don't blame Chad one bit for feeling disrespected. I still don't support him talking openly about a trade though. I guess he feels talking is the best way to get out of this perpetual losing franchise and it seemed to work well for Corey Dillon and a few others.

Chad isn't exactly young and he is ultra competitive. I don't blame him for having a lack of faith in the people running this team. He wants to win and I think he sees a good chance soon in his hometown. It's not hard to turnaround an NFL franchise in todays game. It's definitely not hard when you have someone as smart as Bill Parcells running your team.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I seriously doubt it. He said nothing most of this year and yet I heard all season how he was the problem because of a few dropped passes. He was given WAY more heat than deserved for such a bad team. You must have forgotten what city we live in? The best players always get the most heat and definitely if the fans/media start spewing bs about either work ethic(Dunn) and attitude(CJ). This town does a great job in ruining the best things the city has to offer in terms of sports entertainment. I don't blame Chad one bit for feeling disrespected. I still don't support him talking openly about a trade though. I guess he feels talking is the best way to get out of this perpetual losing franchise and it seemed to work well for Corey Dillon and a few others.

Chad isn't exactly young and he is ultra competitive. I don't blame him for having a lack of faith in the people running this team. He wants to win and I think he sees a good chance soon in his hometown. It's not hard to turnaround an NFL franchise in todays game. It's definitely not hard when you have someone as smart as Bill Parcells running your team.
    I don't know. Parcells hasn't actually won a Super Bowl since his days with the Giants. His teams usually seem to do better after he leaves. Do you think Chad wants to wait through 5 years of Parcells if it means they win in year 6? Sounds like he doesn't think he's getting younger, so 6 years might be a long time.

Other than message board cranks, I haven't really heard many Bengals fans get on Chad and blame him for the season. Most seem to have defended him. It's the media, and the national media that he so loves, that has been so hard on Chad. Yet he keeps going back to them and blaming the Bengals. I think he's attributing the entire feelings of Cincinnati to one Daugherty column that really got to him and giving way to much credence to one story from Chris Mortensen which was thoroughly denied by the men who matter, Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. That's where his so-called disrespect is coming from, Two stories that he keeps referring to indirectly. Two. That's it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Believe it or not, I like Chad. I really do. I think he would be a blast to have as a friend and hang out with. He makes me laugh more than any other athlete and most comedians. The things I've said about him aren't anything I wouldn't say to one of my kids or a close friend in the same situation.

I think Chad has finally figured out how Mike Brown works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

I think Cedric is right, everytime the Reds and Bengals land someone truly special they get run out of town because of the enormous expectations people put on them. I call it the Pete Rose effect, Rose did so much with so little in his life and most people remember his 150% effort. When people like Dunn or CJ don't give that Rose effort, people get down on them and suggest they don't play hard or aren't team players.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Chad Threatens to Sit Out 2008 Season if not traded.

It's time to get rid of the guy. I don't see how anybody can support Chad Johnson anymore or condone his actions. IMO, he is no worse than Terrell Owens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3228585

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson feels betrayed by head coach Marvin Lewis and is privately threatening to sit out the 2008 season if he isn't traded, according to a source.

Johnson was upset after the coach quit speaking to his receiver early in the season, according to the source.

The Bengals star wideout has been making the rounds with the media at the Super Bowl. When asked on Jim Rome's radio show this week about whether or not he was happy with Bengals, Johnson sounded less than happy.

"I'm not allowed to say. I get the blame; the so-called best player, I'm the problem. Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down [and] stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can't function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement."

Lewis has said he won't trade Johnson, who finished with a single-season franchise-record 1,440 receiving yards. Johnson has had six consecutive seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards and is under contract with the Bengals through 2011 after signing a $35.5 million extension in April 2006.

"Obviously, there is a lot of frustration with things that happened last year as it pertains to Chad," Johnson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus told The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Rosenhaus tried to explain his client's recent statements to the media.

"What Chad is doing [in the radio interviews] is expressing his emotions and frustration."
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?