Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

I think Williams was granted permission though, wasn't he? Sometimes there are stipulations in contracts preventing someone from doing something that may cause injury.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I think Williams was granted permission though, wasn't he? Sometimes there are stipulations in contracts preventing someone from doing something that may cause injury.
    Thats the part I wonder about. I also wonder if since he isn't suspended, hasn't entered retirement, and has signed a contract to play football with the Bengals, if he can legaly play for another team in another league without declaring retirement. Even if he retires, can he come back into the league in a year without that contract coming back into play? Ricky retired if I remember right, which I probably don't.

Yeah, I think you are right.

If he retires though, isn't he responsible for the contract? Or maybe has to pay back all of the bonuses? Something like that, because I remember Ricky owed the Dolphins several million.

For a Level Playing Field

Ricky had to pay back his signing bonus. The signing bonus is not allowed to be kept in full if you quit. If you are released, then it is a different story.

Even if he retires, can he come back into the league in a year without that contract coming back into play?
    No way. Players who are unhappy with their current team or their current salary would simply retire and then come back and play for another team. That is not fair and is not allowed; hence, the reason it does not happen. You sign a contract and you are held to it... unless the team releases you (non-guaranteed in the NFL).

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    No way. Players who are unhappy with their current team or their current salary would simply retire and then come back and play for another team. That is not fair and is not allowed; hence, the reason it does not happen. You sign a contract and you are held to it... unless the team releases you (non-guaranteed in the NFL).
    Right, but missing one year for an NFL player is a pretty big deal. I just wondered if that is what kept them from doing it. Then you have to answer questions about wether or not you stayed in shape and all that. On top of that, I would assume teams would be reluctant to sign that player.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Call me crazy, but I side with Chad.

He wants to win.

He knows that won't happen in Cincinnati if Mike Brown still owns the team.

Ocho is arguably the best WR in the NFL, and flat out produces big numbers. It's not a money thing with him, it's a lack of commitment to winning from the organization with him.

Can you blame him?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    He wants to win.
    And he wants to play for teams like Miami or Washington or the Arena League? Give me a break. He got his feelings hurt and now he is pouting. I'm sure he wants to win but ultimately he got his pride hurt last year and now he wants out.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    And he wants to play for teams like Miami or Washington or the Arena League? Give me a break. He got his feelings hurt and now he is pouting. I'm sure he wants to win but ultimately he got his pride hurt last year and now he wants out.
    Washington is closer to winning than Cincinnati, IMO, and with Parcells now down in Miami who knows what can happen in a few seasons. Chad wants to be a part of an organization moving in the right direction, and Cincinnati isn't that organization.

The Arena League comment was calculated by Chad. He knew it would draw more attention, as it did. The idea of a premier NFL WR saying he would rather play in the Arena League than for the Bengals is comedic genius, and puts Chad's situation into perspective. It's the NFL's version of ultimate hyperbole.

Mike Brown is the devil in this situation, not Chad Johnson.

Washington is closer to winning than Cincinnati, IMO, and with Parcells now down in Miami who knows what can happen in a few seasons. Chad wants to be a part of an organization moving in the right direction, and Cincinnati isn't that organization.

The Arena League comment was calculated by Chad. He knew it would draw more attention, as it did. The idea of a premier NFL WR saying he would rather play in the Arena League than for the Bengals is comedic genius, and puts Chad's situation into perspective. It's the NFL's version of ultimate hyperbole.

Mike Brown is the devil in this situation, not Chad Johnson.
    Why is Mike Brown the devil when it comes to Chad? Brown is the one who tore up Chad's contract early and signed him to a new deal so that he could get more money. Mike Brown can be blamed for a lot of things, but he's treated Chad well. Chad just wants to crap all over him and the Bengals because he blew Mortensen's made up source and Daugherty's stupid column out of proportion and his agent saw an opening to work a trade/new deal and fanned the flames in Chad's mind.

I don't think Chad's stunts are to get to a winner. He just wants more money. He mentions Washington because he knows Dan Snyder will make crazy trades and thinks he'll rip up Chad's current deal and give him a new one. Miami? It's his home. Arena League? Just trying to force the Bengals' hand. I'd call his bluff.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Could not agree with you more, Yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Why is Mike Brown the devil when it comes to Chad? Brown is the one who tore up Chad's contract early and signed him to a new deal so that he could get more money. Mike Brown can be blamed for a lot of things, but he's treated Chad well. Chad just wants to crap all over him and the Bengals because he blew Mortensen's made up source and Daugherty's stupid column out of proportion and his agent saw an opening to work a trade/new deal and fanned the flames in Chad's mind.

I don't think Chad's stunts are to get to a winner. He just wants more money. He mentions Washington because he knows Dan Snyder will make crazy trades and thinks he'll rip up Chad's current deal and give him a new one. Miami? It's his home. Arena League? Just trying to force the Bengals' hand. I'd call his bluff.
    Very well said.

As much as I despise Mike Brown, he's not the blame here. Chad's acting like a toddler. I really hope he sits out because I believe he'll do more harm than good to this team.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Maybe I misunderstand Chad's issues then, as I only get my Chad information from ESPN and RedsZone.

It seemed to me that Chad doesn't feel that the Bengals are a winning franchise, wants more money, wants better personnel and since he felt Mike Brown wouldn't give him more money or bring in better players that his only option was to head out of town.

So, since I'm not comprehending the Chad situation correctly, what's going on? Why's he in the news so much? What does Chad want?

So, since I'm not comprehending the Chad situation correctly, what's going on? Why's he in the news so much? What does Chad want?

A sweet new ride?

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

For the record, Chad isn't the only big name not attending optional workouts.

Tom Brady is currently in Europe hanging out with his supermodel. Selfish b*****d!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Back and forth. Tit for tat.

This situation is spiraling out of control. I just heard Chad's interview on ESPN. Wow. He has zero respect for Marvin or the Bengals. I guess I can understand some of that, but it doesn't need to be made public like this. IMO, Chad is putting on act to either get more money or get out of Cincy. He seems to be changing his reasons why he has a problem. There's not much consistency with his arguments.

I honestly don't know where the Bengals are going to go with this. Mike Brown is a perpetual loser. Marvin Lewis has lost control and the respect of his team. The star player, Chad Johnson, is has turned into T.O. and wants out. The defense stinks. Chris Henry has had two separate legal issues come out this week.

Where does it stop? I have no idea. This team is one player away (Carson not playing) from possibly being the worst in the NFL. And I'm pi**ed about it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?