Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

Re: Chad Johnson -- The definitive Thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

They can always suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team....make it more interesting.

Now Chad says he is coming back. I am a big Bengals but I could care less if he comes back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3424063

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson has apparently ceased his demands for a trade and declared a return to the Bengals as imminent, perhaps as early as next week.

"Am I coming back? Of course I am," Johnson said while standing in front of his Davie, Fla., home. He had been acting as the editor-in-chief of ESPN The Magazine's second annual Revenge of the Jocks issue.

"I told my coaches I'm going to California to act, but the truth is I may come back to the Bengals as early as June," Johnson said.

"I may be crazy but I'm not stupid."

After catching 93 passes for a team record 1,440 yards in 2007, Johnson, frustrated after the team's 7-9 season, began posturing for a trade. But in April the Bengals turned down an offer of two high draft picks from Washington and head coach Marvin Lewis suggested Johnson should make good on his promise and sit out the season.

Johnson is scheduled to make $3 million in 2008 under a contract extension he signed two years ago that stretches until 2011.

"If we want to be like Indy and New England, we have to pay and bring in some difference-makers on defense," Johnson said. "Our offense is fine. But if they're fussing about paying a guy like me, a guy among the best in the league, you know damn well the Bengals aren't gonna supply the defense with what it needs. So I just said, 'If we aren't gonna do what we need to make us win -- can I please leave?' It's simple. I just told 'em: 'If ya'll won't change, then I have to.' "

Johnson held out hope of a pre-draft trade or a deal with a team like Philadelphia, Dallas or Miami. When nothing materialized by mid-May, Johnson began to consider a different approach, according to his coach and mentor, Charles Collins, who was in Florida to oversee the All-Pro receiver's offseason workout regime.

"Look how well I've done while talking every week and calling people out and making things so hard on me with all this attention," Johnson said. "I've been thinking a lot lately about what I could do if I just played and didn't talk? Things would be a whole lot easier on me. And think of the numbers I could put up. Then what would people say about me?"

Johnson, who has not attended any of the Bengals' offseason workouts, could be back in Cincinnati as early as June 12 for the start of the team's next minicamp.

"It's the reinvention of Ocho Cinco," he says. "I'm dead serious. People need to take me as I am because I just don't give a [expletive] anymore. That's how I'd sum up my attitude for the next season."

Last month, Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said he was unhappy that Johnson and fellow Pro Bowl wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh missed the team's minicamp.

"You'd hope that a guy like Chad and a guy like T.J. would be here helping guys out and trying to make the team better in that way," Palmer said then. "But they've got to handle their own business themselves, too."
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 06-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.

If true, good for the Bengals. But I'll believe it when I see it on 2 fronts. If he comes back and then if he keeps quiet.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

One of the most telling parts is this:

"Look how well I've done while talking every week and calling people out and making things so hard on me with all this attention," Johnson said. "I've been thinking a lot lately about what I could do if I just played and didn't talk? Things would be a whole lot easier on me. And think of the numbers I could put up. Then what would people say about me?"

Johnson, who has not attended any of the Bengals' offseason workouts, could be back in Cincinnati as early as June 12 for the start of the team's next minicamp.

"It's the reinvention of Ocho Cinco," he says. "I'm dead serious. People need to take me as I am because I just don't give a [expletive] anymore. That's how I'd sum up my attitude for the next season."
    So pretty much, from what I understand, he isn't going to try becaus the Bengals "aren't trying" and he is tired of caring about winning? Maybe I'm just bitter and reading that wrong. Am I the only one who believes this?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Not so fast...Chick Ludwig has this

AFTER SAYING HE’S COMING BACK, CHAD STILL MAY OPT TO SIT OUT

Chad Johnson believes flamboyance is not arrogance, and it should not be considered a distraction.

He claims anybody who thinks his style is a negative “is just ignorant, man.”

The Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver made a stunning admission during an interview on “ESPN The Magazine on SIRIUS” — the weekly talk show on SIRIUS Satellite Radio — on Tuesday, June 3, 2008, when he claimed his passion for the game sometimes hurts him and his team.

During the show, hosted by Gary Hoenig and Gary Belsky, Johnson spoke about serving as the guest editor-in-chief of ESPN The Magazine’s second annual “Revenge of the Jocks” issue — the issue date is June 16, 2008 — his passion for the game and the possibility of not playing this year.

IN JOHNSON’S WORDS:

“A lot of people would say, ‘You know, you attract attention, you’re putting pressure on yourself.’ But the game of football is something I’ve done since I was four years old. I’ve grown up watching the (University of Miami) Hurricanes.

“I come from a very flamboyant city, if you want to call it, and a lot of people like to call it arrogant and call it a distraction and all this stuff, which is just ignorant, man.

“I just love what I do. I have a passion for it and sometimes that passion hurts me and sometimes that passion hurts my team. And I’ve always been a winner and it’s been mistaken. Because of my style of play, it’s been taken out of context as me not wanting to win. And that’s where the controversy has come in during the off-season as ‘I’m tired of losing and we’re not doing the things we need to do to help us win.’

LOVES CINCY, EMPATHIZES WITH FANS

“So, I mean, other than that, man, I have no problem with Cincinnati. I love the city, man. The fans are great. And you know what’s funny? I know how the fans have felt for those 13, 14 years of losing and that’s how I’m feeling right now. That’s what people are failing to realize. The media is portraying a whole different thing. They’re talking about, ‘Oh, he wants more money.’ No, man. I am feeling just how they felt for those 11 years, that’s it, however long it was. And I feel it and I see where it’s going. It’s going back to that same old ‘Bungles,’ or whatever it used to be. But, man, it is what it is, you know? But other than that, I enjoyed working with ESPN on this thing.”

QUESTION: “Well, we enjoyed working with you. Now, you mention in the (ESPN The Magazine) piece that you could come back to the Bengals as soon as June and there’s now, I think, a report circulating on the air that that, in fact, might be the case. Have you got any comment about that? Are you still leaving your options open?” (Johnson made the comments referred to above to ESPN The Magazine writer David Fleming on May 23).

CHAD: “Yeah, man. You know what? My options are open, man. I have so much going on off the field right now. Man, it’s beautiful. It’s beautiful. It’s a beautiful thing. God has really blessed me to be able to do other things and interact in other things. Football doesn’t have to be my backbone. Football is my bread and butter, but with my success and with me being able to venture into other things, I mean, the possibility of really not playing this year is really open. It really is.”

Ocho Weirdo with another "look at me, look at me" article

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'm still supporting Chad. The guy is saying that playing without winning is almost equal to not having played at all. He's a competitor, and he's doing everything he can to win. Personally, I feel like the Bengals can compete, but he doesn't feel that way, and I think it's very understandable when you look at the moves (or lack thereof) that the team has made in an effort to upgrade the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm still supporting Chad.
    You might be the only one and I'm not sure why.

The guy is saying that playing without winning is almost equal to not having played at all. He's a competitor, and he's doing everything he can to win.
    It's still about the $$$. He's just changing his story again to try to save his plummetting image.

Personally, I feel like the Bengals can compete, but he doesn't feel that way, and I think it's very understandable when you look at the moves (or lack thereof) that the team has made in an effort to upgrade the defense.
    Even though I can't stand Chad, I actually agree with him here. This team is still a mess. Their offense is ok, but their defense is putrid. They have some potential, but there really isn't a difference maker out there, plus they're so young. It could be another long year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I think it's because so many people assumed that Chad was making an attack on Cincinnati when it was really an attack on the Bengals, which Cincinnati holds dear to their hearts. Chad has said that he likes the city and that the fans are great, so if his beef is with the front office, even if I disagree with it, he still has my support.

Maybe Chad over-estimated his popularity and assumed that if he went public with being displeased about the direction of the team, the city would get behind him and pressure Mike Brown into making some (needed) moves. Maybe that was his way of trying to be a leader and team player.

Granted, you don't hire Drew Rosenhaus without having money on your mind, but Rosenhaus already got him the extension he wanted, so I think it just came down to the Bengals front office telling Johnson that they would make the necessary moves to make sure the Bengals win, and in Johnson's eyes, the team didn't follow through on their promise. From 2006 to 2007, the team's payroll went down by $15mm. On top of that, in regards to quantity and quality, the Bengals have been sending more players out the door than they've been bringing in. As a fan, I'm pissed, as I've always been, at Mike Brown. It's just that this is the first chance the city has had in a very long time to focus it's frustration from the Bengals on someone other than Mike Brown, so everyone jumped on board.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

It's still about the $$$. He's just changing his story again to try to save his plummetting image.
    Yep. Chad even let it slip out when he said, "But if they're fussing about paying a guy like me, a guy among the best in the league, you know damn well the Bengals aren't gonna supply the defense with what it needs."

Fussing about paying you, Chad? A couple years ago they tore up your old contract despite having years remaining on it, and gave you a brand new one that you signed and made you plenty rich. So where's the fussing? Oh wait, that's right, you wanted them to do that again, and when they refused you acted like a spoiled brat and accuse the Bengals of "fussing about paying a guy like me."

IMO, Chad is incredibly transparent here. He's changed his tune so many times this past offseason it's hard to take him seriously. Maybe if he had started out by saying he's tired of losing and they won't upgrade the defense I'd have believed that's his true motive for wanting out. But, as often is the case with today's ego-centric star WR, it's about the $$$, and always has been about the $$$. Don't let his newest story fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yep. Chad even let it slip out when he said, "But if they're fussing about paying a guy like me, a guy among the best in the league, you know damn well the Bengals aren't gonna supply the defense with what it needs."

Fussing about paying you, Chad? A couple years ago they tore up your old contract despite having years remaining on it, and gave you a brand new one that you signed and made you plenty rich. So where's the fussing? Oh wait, that's right, you wanted them to do that again, and when they refused you acted like a spoiled brat and accuse the Bengals of "fussing about paying a guy like me."

IMO, Chad is incredibly transparent here. He's changed his tune so many times this past offseason it's hard to take him seriously. Maybe if he had started out by saying he's tired of losing and they won't upgrade the defense I'd have believed that's his true motive for wanting out. But, as often is the case with today's ego-centric star WR, it's about the $$$, and always has been about the $$$. Don't let his newest story fool you.
    Even when he tries to make it about the front office not bringing in guys, he can't help brining up the real reason - money. Ever since this whole ordeal has started, Chad has shown that he knows more about how much players on other teams are making than about those teams' won-loss record. I can't help but think maybe the folks at Degree told him he's not as valuable to them if he's not playing football.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Even though I can't stand Chad, I actually agree with him here. This team is still a mess. Their offense is ok, but their defense is putrid. They have some potential, but there really isn't a difference maker out there, plus they're so young. It could be another long year.
    I support Chad as well. Look its obvious that he wants more money but in the NFL who doesn't? I don't agree with the way he handled himself this offseason. I think it was childish and stupid. I think he made himself like like a complete idiot but I also think the bengals are better off with him than without him.

I find it funny how quick the media can turn on a guy in this town. I know Chad isn't perfect but the bengals media is very very sensitive towards everyone who looks national before local. I even find it ironic how much Doc has turned on Chad. It wasn't but 2 years ago that Doc was out pimping the book he wrote for Chad. I wonder how much money Chad made Doc because of the book? Every book that was sold because of Chad helped line the pockets of Doc.

I also find it funny when a guy like Chad critices the bengals organization. The media, and people in cincinnati in general, don't like it when their athletes take shots at ownership but they are fine blaming the Brown family for everything that goes wrong with the bengals. The same people who started firemikebrown.com are probably the same people ripping Chad for wanting to win.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I support Chad as well. Look its obvious that he wants more money but in the NFL who doesn't? I don't agree with the way he handled himself this offseason. I think it was childish and stupid. I think he made himself like like a complete idiot but I also think the bengals are better off with him than without him.

I find it funny how quick the media can turn on a guy in this town. I know Chad isn't perfect but the bengals media is very very sensitive towards everyone who looks national before local. I even find it ironic how much Doc has turned on Chad. It wasn't but 2 years ago that Doc was out pimping the book he wrote for Chad. I wonder how much money Chad made Doc because of the book? Every book that was sold because of Chad helped line the pockets of Doc.

I also find it funny when a guy like Chad critices the bengals organization. The media, and people in cincinnati in general, don't like it when their athletes take shots at ownership but they are fine blaming the Brown family for everything that goes wrong with the bengals. The same people who started firemikebrown.com are probably the same people ripping Chad for wanting to win.
    I supported him up until he started throwing tantrums in front of the national media. The same national media that has been stirring the pot. If Chad was all about making the Bengals better, he would have gone to his teammates and worked with them to rally support for help. Instead he has thrown tantrum after tantrum in front of the national media in a lame attempt to get himself on a new team. Just because Mike Brown has made so many poor decisions in the past doesn't absolve guys like Chad Johnson from doing their jobs and trying to make the team better instead of being counterproductive and trying to blow it up.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Exactly....if Chad had just called out the things MB does and does not do ...and basically say he does not think the team can win..AND...throw in the fact that one of these years, and it will be soon, Carson Palmer is going to say I have had enough of this and want out also. That would be just his opinion ( and mine also ) but it sure would have made people at least take him more seriously.

Turn Off Ads?