Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rolen-Glaus trade

Rolen-Glaus trade

Cards, Blue Jays set to swap third basemen
    by Ken Rosenthal
    Scott Rolen is on the verge of escaping St. Louis manager Tony La Russa. Troy Glaus is on the verge of escaping the artificial turf in Toronto.

The Cardinals and Blue Jays are closing in on an exchange of their third basemen, major-league sources say, but both former All-Stars must pass physicals before a deal is completed.

Those physicals are no small issue since Rolen is coming off surgery on his right shoulder and Glaus surgery on his left foot.

While both players have agreed to waive their no-trade clauses, the differences in their contracts also might need to be resolved, most likely through a cash payment from the Cardinals to the Blue Jays.

Rolen, 32, is owed $33 million over the next three seasons. Glaus, 31, is guaranteed $24 million over the next two, including an $11.25 million player option for 2009.

The commissioner's office must approve the trade if it involves a cash exchange of more than $1 million.

If the trade is completed, it would provide fresh starts for two players who — for different reasons — grew uncomfortable with their current clubs.

Rolen has feuded with La Russa since at least the 2006 season, when questions about Rolen's shoulder caused La Russa to bench him during the National League Championship Series.

The rift became untenable after La Russa wrote Rolen a four-page letter at the end of the season and then escalated the feud with comments he made at the Winter Meetings. La Russa said Rolen was the only Cardinal who did not want him to return as manager and that the team would not easily accommodate Rolen's request to be traded.

Glaus, meanwhile, is happy in Toronto but the change would benefit him physically. His recurring foot problems leave him better suited to play on a natural-grass surface such as the one at St. Louis' Busch Stadium.

Glaus appeared in only 115 games last season, batting .262 with 20 homers and 62 RBIs. Rolen appeared in only 112 games, batting .265 with eight homers and 58 RBIs.

The Cardinals acquired Rolen from the Phillies at the 2002 non-waiver deadline. The Jays obtained Glaus from the Diamondbacks after the 2005 season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7665630

I hope both players can get a fresh start.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 01-12-2008 at 01:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen-Glaus trade

I think the Cards got the good side of this trade.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I think the term here is "why bother"

part of BBN

I have a feeling both players will only be a shell of what they were so it will probably cancel each other out like offsetting personal fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I think the Cards got the good side of this trade.

Good news for Reds fan. The Cardinals defense just got significantly worse at 3rd base.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    Good news for Reds fan. The Cardinals defense just got significantly worse at 3rd base.
    Yeah, but Glaus is a great power hitter. Remember, he's coming from the AL East. Some of that pitching is just awesome. I just hate to think what he's going to do at GABP next year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Yeah, but Glaus is a great power hitter. Remember, he's coming from the AL East. Some of that pitching is just awesome. I just hate to think what he's going to do at GABP next year.
    I don't know, Glaus just doesn't seem to be capable of spending more time on a baseball field than in casts and on crutches.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    Very true. However Glaus, if healthy, will provide much needed power to that lineup. I've always thought of Glaus as a right handed hitting Dunn. Below average D and high K's, but has a good eye with great power. Rolen's career OPS and OBP are higher than Glaus, not to mention being one of the best defensive third baseman of all time. If Rolen can stay healthy, Toronto wins this trade in my opinion.

Career OBP OPS

Rolen .372 .878
    Glaus .358 .858

Glaus also was roided up in years past

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Glaus also was roided up in years past
    Exactly. I'd rather have Rolen. Thanks Cards!
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I think that the Blue Jays did this trade because they have an extreme groundball pitching staff and Rolen offers better defense. That said, Glaus is no slouch defensively, or at least he used to be pretty good.

That or they just want to reunite Rolen with Eckstein

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That or they just want to reunite Rolen with Eckstein

Maybe do the old Biggio Bagwell... Eckstein under hand throw to Rolen so Rolen can throw them out at First?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Seems pretty much like a total swap of equally valued players. Main thing is LaRussa gets rid of his headaches.

Turn Off Ads?