Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #27 Prospect?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brett Bartles

    1 1.28%
  • Scott Carroll

    20 25.64%
  • Tzu-Kai Chui

    4 5.13%
  • Zach Cozart

    3 3.85%
  • Richie Gardner

    12 15.38%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

    0 0%
  • Danny Herrera

    6 7.69%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

    3 3.85%
  • Paul Janish

    10 12.82%
  • Ben Jukich

    2 2.56%
  • Derrik Lutz

    5 6.41%
  • Justin Reed

    8 10.26%
  • Alexander Smit

    2 2.56%
  • Phil Valiquette

    1 1.28%
  • Other (please specify)

    1 1.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

  1. #1
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,432

    Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #27 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

    I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

    If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

    If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

    If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

    Guys with no votes last round and in rotation:
    Jose Castro
    Chris Heisey
    Sean Henry
    Juan Rafael
    Ramon Ramirez
    Jordan Smith
    Craig Tatum


    Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
    Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
    Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
    Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring
    Prospect 18 - Adam Rosales
    Prospect 19 - Tyler Pelland
    Prospect 20 - Daryl Thompson
    Prospect 21 - Pedro Viola
    Prospect 22 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect 23 - Sam Lecure
    Prospect 24 - Marcus McBeth
    Prospect 25 - Justin Turner
    Prospect 26 - Chris Dickerson
    Last edited by dougdirt; 01-13-2008 at 12:51 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    You gotta go with Carroll here. low to mid 90's fastball with two different splitters.

  4. #3
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    I'll also go with Scott Carroll. His fastball is 91-92 and can touch 94, in addition to a splitter, slider, and a slow curveball. With Carroll being 23 already, I'd like to see the Reds start him in Sarasota.

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,432

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll also go with Scott Carroll. His fastball is 91-92 and can touch 94, in addition to a splitter, slider, and a slow curveball. With Carroll being 23 already, I'd like to see the Reds start him in Sarasota.
    Makes two of us.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,716

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    I'm sure Carroll is a good choice, was drafted high, but he's 23 and pitched 15 innings at Billings. That's his total in pro ball.

    Not sure how folks would pick him over 20 year old Reed who had a good full season at Rookie ball last year with a .799 OPS in 230 at bats in rookie ball and is reputedly a tremendous athlete.

    Whatever.

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,432

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm sure Carroll is a good choice, was drafted high, but he's 23 and pitched 15 innings at Billings. That's his total in pro ball.

    Not sure how folks would pick him over 20 year old Reed who had a good full season at Rookie ball last year with a .799 OPS in 230 at bats in rookie ball and is reputedly a tremendous athlete.

    Whatever.
    Carroll is a late bloomer in terms of pro baseball because he was a college football player who transferred and had to sit out a year because of that. Age only counts so much. If he were drafted in 2005 or 2006 and only pitched 15 innings in pro ball, you would have more of a point. He has good stuff and although he probably profiles as a reliever down the road, it looks like he could be a good bet at this point.

  8. #7
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    I voted for Carroll because Cozart doesn't have a chance at #27 and Carroll is who I like at #28.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,716

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Carroll is a late bloomer in terms of pro baseball because he was a college football player who transferred and had to sit out a year because of that. Age only counts so much. If he were drafted in 2005 or 2006 and only pitched 15 innings in pro ball, you would have more of a point. He has good stuff and although he probably profiles as a reliever down the road, it looks like he could be a good bet at this point.
    Still, you are projecting a 23 year old guy with absolutely no pro track record. Ok, but at this point it's just off scouting reports. Hope he does well, but next year will indicate what the Reds have with Carroll.

    I hope he takes off next year like Roenicke did as another pitcher who started pro ball late. Cautiously optimistic, just prefer Reed at this spot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,368

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    I voted for Scott Carroll this time. Can we add Logan Parker on the next poll?

  11. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,432

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I voted for Scott Carroll this time. Can we add Logan Parker on the next poll?
    He will be added.

  12. #11
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    I voted Smit who I think is better than just about anybody left and by far.

    However I actually intended on voting for Gardener but had a brain fart. I like Smit's talent better but Gardener isn't far off if at all (maybe I just have an iffinity for handedness, I'm a LH sorta) in that regard. I just wanted to vote Richie due to him being closer to the bigs.

    So if it ends up close remember my intent was to vote Gardener.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  13. #12
    Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Indpls
    Posts
    341

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    One vote for "other" Drew Anderson
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will


  14. #13
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Jukich, with Reed just behind him.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    48

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Why Valiquette?
    2 players made the 31st team for 2007 : Rosales and Valiquette

    I know he went home at mid season in 2006, but he had talks with the Reds about coming back and start from scratch. He is now determined to become a major league player. So he went to Billings and stayed at the top of the Pioneer league for best ERA and WHIP for most of the season.
    I read that a lot of you guys will not consider a reliever as a prospect. Maybe they don't get as much media attention and being in rookie ball will also get you no press. Relievers are as importants as starters or closers.

    Phil is turning 21 next month so he has plenty of time to get there, but not that much. He gained maturity in the last season.

    One thing he had to improve was his BB/K rate and he did big time!
    If you look at his stats you will see that he pitched 70% strikes last season. He sits around 93-94mph with his fast ball, and he's got lots of movement on it. I've listen to most of his games last season (I follow his career closely : he played with my son) and he was clocked at 97 and 98 many times. Not bad for a 20 yrs old lefty.

    Lastly, at the fall instructional league he was named best pitcher of the camp, and the Reds are considering taking him back as a starter since he has improved his curve and changeup plus he added a slider. I am very confident with him becoming a MLB player but like the rest of the other players : only time will tell us.

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,826

    Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsUp View Post
    Why Valiquette?
    2 players made the 31st team for 2007 : Rosales and Valiquette

    I know he went home at mid season in 2006, but he had talks with the Reds about coming back and start from scratch. He is now determined to become a major league player. So he went to Billings and stayed at the top of the Pioneer league for best ERA and WHIP for most of the season.
    I read that a lot of you guys will not consider a reliever as a prospect. Maybe they don't get as much media attention and being in rookie ball will also get you no press. Relievers are as importants as starters or closers.

    Phil is turning 21 next month so he has plenty of time to get there, but not that much. He gained maturity in the last season.

    One thing he had to improve was his BB/K rate and he did big time!
    If you look at his stats you will see that he pitched 70% strikes last season. He sits around 93-94mph with his fast ball, and he's got lots of movement on it. I've listen to most of his games last season (I follow his career closely : he played with my son) and he was clocked at 97 and 98 many times. Not bad for a 20 yrs old lefty.

    Lastly, at the fall instructional league he was named best pitcher of the camp, and the Reds are considering taking him back as a starter since he has improved his curve and changeup plus he added a slider. I am very confident with him becoming a MLB player but like the rest of the other players : only time will tell us.
    I think Valiquette is a good candidate for a big move up in 2008 and at this point a lot of guys are fairly interchangeable.

    I went with Ben Jukich but its mostly on a hunch that Krivsky acquired him for a reason and that other than at the beginning of last year in the A's organization where he had a few control issues (12 HBP in that couple of months last year) he's pitched well. He's ready for AA and could join the Fisher, Lecure, etc group as bottom of the rotation starter candidates in 2008. He's at the point in his development where guys tend to come more quickly. We'll see what happens.

    I also like Lutz, Carroll, Ramirez, Tatum, Herrera, and Castro at this point and for me the relative difference betwen number 27 and number 35 is paper thin. So I went with a starting pitcher. I'll probably go with Ramirez next because I think he could be a long man in Cincy before the year is through.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-14-2008 at 06:23 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25