Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Have Preliminary Discussions About Blanton

Re: Reds Have Preliminary Discussions About Blanton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That is an odd way to look at dealing A prospects, three of which are likely ready to step in and contribute at the ML level (Bruce, Votto and Volquez). Of course there will be an incredible amount of roster turnover in 4-5 years, but to say that they all need to be the best at their position perennially to carry on alone in the future would mean that the roster turnover over that same period netted nothing of value. It would mean that not one other player developed in the system, no key trades were made, or any free agents signed. However, it is very possible that all could turn out to be key contributors while other pieces fall into place down the road, or that they become a key piece in a future deal. If your scenario plays out, dealing them today or clutching tightly to every last one of the top 5 will not matter.
    Huh? Dealing Cueto and Bailey and Votto (I hate to trade Votto) right now for Bedard is likely to allow the quality young players that have already developed win something before they move on.

Of course it is just my humble opinion, but I think the best chance to win something in the next 6-10 years is the next 3......you just cannot have better fortune than the Reds have had recently.

Two rule 5 guys in the same year that actually pan out, Dunn is still here for at least a little while, JR is on the last leg....and you got two pretty good pitchers through trades.....along with getting the best 2B in the league for almost nothing......

Wait until the prospects pitchers really develop and they will only overlap with Harang and Arroyo for a year or so and Dunn, JR and probably Phillips will be gone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Have Preliminary Discussions About Blanton

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Huh? Dealing Cueto and Bailey and Votto (I hate to trade Votto) right now for Bedard is likely to allow the quality young players that have already developed win something before they move on.

Of course it is just my humble opinion, but I think the best chance to win something in the next 6-10 years is the next 3......you just cannot have better fortune than the Reds have had recently.

Two rule 5 guys in the same year that actually pan out, Dunn is still here for at least a little while, JR is on the last leg....and you got two pretty good pitchers through trades.....along with getting the best 2B in the league for almost nothing......

Wait until the prospects pitchers really develop and they will only overlap with Harang and Arroyo for a year or so and Dunn, JR and probably Phillips will be gone.
    OK, but my entire point was that your post has to assume that the roster turnover associated with guys leaving will make the Reds worse or unable to compete. I'm all for trading one or two of the top 5 in the right deal, but it has nothing to do with who the Reds will not have on the team in 4-5 years. I expect and hope for turnover that results in better players than the Reds currently have at any and all positions, considering the Reds have been in stagnation for several years.

Turn Off Ads?