Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanton & Street: Would you?

Blanton & Street: Would you?

Would you do a Bailey/Cueto package for Blanton is Street also came back in the deal?

I got this idea from the Sundeck and its been kicked around a little in some of the threads, but I find it of more interest now that the Reds' interest in Blanton has been confirmed.

I think this trade would really solidify our rotation & still questionable BP, so I think it's worth a look, but what would it take to land them??? I'd offer something like this:

Bailey/Cueto, Stubbs, Valaika, Roenicke, Viola/Lecure.... It'd probably take more... I'd perhaps add Votto (or substitute him for Stubbs) if it came down to it.

Rotation:
    Harang #1
    Arroyo #2/3
    Blanton #3
    Volquez/Cueto #4
    Belisle/Cueto #4/5

Bullpen:
    Cordero
    Street
    Weathers
    Burton
    Coutlangus
    Stanton
    Bray

I think this would solve a world of question marks for the club.
    Your thoughts....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blanton & Street: Would you?

Sure, but it would certainly take more to pry those two away from Beane.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Sure, but it would certainly take more to pry those two away from Beane.
    I think taking out the / and replacing with a , would do it, and it would decimate the long-term health of this club.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think taking out the / and replacing with a , would do it, and it would decimate the long-term health of this club.
    That sounds more realistic. And I agree to a point; such a trade could hurt the club in the long run unless Cast has decided to start spending like the Cubs.

Well, Beane wants Cueto ... so, I think Cueto+ could land us Blanton. Would Votto+ get us Street?

The trade proposal I made, (especially if Votto is added) is comparable to what the fish got for D-train and Cabrera
    Last edited by hippie07; 01-14-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Well, Beane wants Cueto ... so, I think Cueto+ could land us Blanton. Would Votto+ get us Street?
    It'd probably be an awful lot of "plus."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No. I like both Bailey and Cueto about as much as I like Blanton this year minus the innings, but I think they would put up similar numbers across the board (Bailey more walks, fewer hits, more strikeouts, but similar ERA and WHIP in the 4.25 and 1.30 range, while Cueto with more strikeouts and similar numbers across the board elsewhere). I just don't trust Blanton to do much more than lots of innings and a 4.30-4.60 ERA in our ballpark with our defense.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I would trade 2 unprovens for 2 provens.

Also, what would this do to Cordero? I can not imagine either Street or Cordero wanting to be co-closers. I could be wrong.

Nasty Boys Redeux? Of course you would have to throw in Bray to make the Nasty Boy thing work.... If Stanton were in the mix you could just call it the Pig Pen.

This is pure fantasy anyway, so I thought I would make it a little more magical.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    It'd probably be an awful lot of "plus."
    Well, if the trade is Bailey/Cueto, Votto, Roenicke, Stubbs.... and others.

Then thats 4 of our top 10 prospects... Again, I think that's similar to what the Marlins got for 2 All-Star-ish guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I would trade 2 unprovens for 2 provens.

Also, what would this do to Cordero? I can not imagine either Street or Cordero wanting to be co-closers. I could be wrong.

Nasty Boys Redeux? Of course you would have to throw in Bray to make the Nasty Boy thing work.... If Stanton were in the mix you could just call it the Pig Pen.

This is pure fantasy anyway, so I thought I would make it a little more magical.
    I guess I didn't realize he was a "closer", I thought he was more of a late innings guy being groomed for closer. Anyway, it'd be a trade, not a FA signing, so his "wants" aren't really that important unless his attitude affects his play on the field and I don't know enough about him to know if that's in his history or not.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I guess I didn't realize he was a "closer", I thought he was more of a late innings guy being groomed for closer. Anyway, it'd be a trade, not a FA signing, so his "wants" aren't really that important unless his attitude affects his play on the field and I don't know enough about him to know if that's in his history or not.
    Nor do I. Street is relatively young and may be easier to handle. Cordero may not see it that way. Pure specualtion on my part.

I think all players should play for the good of the team. That too is fantasy in this day and age. The last semi-egoless team in Cincinnati was the World Champion '90 Reds. I can't see that happening again any time soon.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Ok, so let me pretend for a minute that Billy Beane would accept Cueto, Votto, Bailey, and then probably a collection of guys like Stubbs, Wood and I'm sure we'd have to throw something else their way since it's Billy Beane we're dealing with, afterall.

The Reds would get Joe Blanton and Houston Street.

Combined with other off-season moves, the Reds go from having no closer to having 2 closers, and the rotation goes from Harang/Arroyo/Belisle/?/? to Harang/Arroyo/Blanton/Volquez/? . From a pitching standpoint, it's an absolutely tremendous upgrade. From an offensive standpoint, losing Votto will hurt us, as Hatteberg then goes from maybe platoon back to stop-gap, with nothing remotely ready behind him. My only hope is that one of Dunn or Griffey would be the heir apparent @ 1B for 2009, and maybe even transitioning to the position in 2008. I think it's safe to say that Bruce will be 100% ready by 2009, and hopefully he'll see between 90-100 games in 2008. Trading Votto in a package that would net Blanton and Street would immediately force us to upgrade Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel, as neither of them are long-term positive solutions in the OF, and neither of them are honestly good short-term positive solutions in the OF either. Given Jocketty's propensity to value MLB ready talent rather than MiLB question marks, I think we have enough assets to gain both Blanton and Street, as well as upgrade Hopper and Freel. If those moves are made, then our only lingering question mark is C.

Now, to see what kind of power Jocketty has with us, b/c so far to his credit, Krivsky's held the kids close to his chest in an attempt to nurse them. Breast-feeding's over, this team can win if we, to quote Nirvana, "sell the kids for food".

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Ok, so let me pretend for a minute that Billy Beane would accept Cueto, Votto, Bailey, and then probably a collection of guys like Stubbs, Wood and I'm sure we'd have to throw something else their way since it's Billy Beane we're dealing with, afterall.

The Reds would get Joe Blanton and Houston Street.
    Blanton isn't very good. Everyone seems to be missing this point.

Why do we want to throw them Cueto, Bailey, Vottos and others for Blanton?

Street is good, but an unnecessary luxary for us. Blanton is hardly worth one of those 3 prospects.

I guess I was assuming that Bruce would start in CF or come up quickly and would provide the offense.... typically, I'm not big on putting a huge weight on the shoulders of a rookie/young guy... (example: EdE being the RBI we leaned on in 07), but for some reason I'm much more optimistic about Bruce... nothings a sure thing, but .. I get the feeling Bruce is close....

I dont think we lose much (in 08 at least) by replacing Hatte w/ Votto..... I don't think Hatte was going to platoon w/ Votto anyway.... A Hatte/Kepp platoon for 1st would be formidable, IMO.

W/ the loss of Votto... we still have Griff, Dunn, Phillip, EdE, Bruce? for offense .... we would probably need to add a good pitch-hitter type (Mench?) and of course, be on the look out for improvement from the Right-side of the plate. As odd as it sounds (and I know its odd), but IF Rolen's healthy, and IF there's any thread of truth to the Rolen to Reds speculation... a healthy Rolen could answer a plethora of offensive questions for this team.

Rotation: Harang/Arroyo/Blanton/Volquez/Belisle
    BP: Cordero/Street/Weathers/Burton, etc

Lineup:
    Bruce, CF
    Hatte/Kepp, 1b
    Griffey, RF
    "healthy" Rolen, 3b
    Dunn, LF
    Phillips, 2b
    Gonzalez, SS
    Ross, C

I mean, we're talking possibly a team w/ no weaknesses ...

Street has had arm problems off and on (while, like Harden, avoiding the knife so far). He's got that fastball and hard slider combo -- watch out. I think Beane would be wise to deal him now, before he breaks down to the point he needs surgery. And, the Reds have a closer -- why pay closer prices for a guy who wouldn't close?

Turn Off Ads?