Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blanton & Street: Would you?

Re: Blanton & Street: Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Blanton isn't very good. Everyone seems to be missing this point.

Why do we want to throw them Cueto, Bailey, Vottos and others for Blanton?

Street is good, but an unnecessary luxary for us. Blanton is hardly worth one of those 3 prospects.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Street is good, but an unnecessary luxary for us. Blanton is hardly worth one of those 3 prospects.
    I agree that someone like Cueto or Bailey has more upside than Blanton... but I think that at the very least Blanton provides us a cheap consistent innings-eater work horse.... he probably, will put up numbers similar to Arroyo.. however, and I'd take another Arroyo in the rotation if I could get him... plus, he's a Ky boy and may take a hometown discount if he pitches well and we want to extend him to a LTC.

While Street isnt as much a need as some other areas.. I wouldn't say he's a luxury... we have no idea if Weathers can hold up another year (he's old remember) ... I think Burton has a bright future but he's young and unproven, I wouldn't hang my bullpen on him... which leaves us w/ Cordero... he's the only one I EXPECT to do well, but I remember alotta moaning when we signed him about declining #'s ... it'd be nice to have "another closer."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I agree that someone like Cueto or Bailey has more upside than Blanton... but I think that at the very least Blanton provides us a cheap consistent innings-eater work horse.... he probably, will put up numbers similar to Arroyo.. however, and I'd take another Arroyo in the rotation if I could get him... plus, he's a Ky both and may take a hometown discount if he pitches well and we want to extend him to a LTC.
    The days of Blanton being cheap are over.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Blanton would step in and be a dependable #3 today if the Reds acquired him. Bailey and/or Cueto might be a dependable #3 tomorrow, they might be more, they might turn out to be hyped prospects. Even without the very unlikely occurance of throwing Street in the mix, Blanton would be worth either Cueto or Bailey today. We would probably have to throw in a middling prospect because we'd be acquiring someone who has put above average numbers in two of three seasons in the league. I'm not sure what "isn't very good" is compared to, that being the case.

The days of Blanton being cheap are over.
    No...
    He's not dirt cheap.. but he's arb eligible for 3 more years .... we would have him for alot less than someone like Livan or Lohse... and I'd much rather have him.

No...
    He's not dirt cheap.. but he's arb eligible for 3 more years .... we would have him for alot less than someone like Livan or Lohse... and I'd much rather have him.
    Yeah, but we don't have to give up Bailey or Cueto to sign one of those guys. I would take Blanton over both of those guys, but not by a whole lot over Lohse. I would rather not sign Livan unless he was going to sign for under 3 million, which has no way of happening.

Roster glue

Count me in with the "not terribly excited about Blanton" crowd.

Cueto or maybe even Bailey--in the bullpen--could approximate Street's proclivity to miss bats, and without the "experienced closer" price mark-up in arbitration. No need to overpay, here.

If the Reds are determined to give up their top prospects, I'd rather it be for a player whose skills fit better with their park and poor defense than do Blanton's.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, but we don't have to give up Bailey or Cueto to sign one of those guys. I would take Blanton over both of those guys, but not by a whole lot over Lohse. I would rather not sign Livan unless he was going to sign for under 3 million, which has no way of happening.
    I was just using the Livan, Lohse example to prove a point about money ... Livan & Lohse will get something approaching 10 mil a year... and Blanton will cost less and be a better/much better pitcher than those 2 for a less money.... so, that equals "cheap" in my mind.

Yeah, theres an added cost of the talent we'd have to trade... which adds to what we have to "pay" for him... but i was responding to a comment that "the days of Blanton being cheap are over" ...

I was just using the Livan, Lohse example to prove a point about money ... Livan & Lohse will get something approaching 10 mil a year... and Blanton will cost less and be a better/much better pitcher than those 2 for a less money.... so, that equals "cheap" in my mind.

Yeah, theres an added cost of the talent we'd have to trade... which adds to what we have to "pay" for him... but i was responding to a comment that "the days of Blanton being cheap are over" ...
    True.... but if Livan gets close to 10 million, someone is losing their mind. Lohse, I still think is asking too much, but I would rather pay him 10 a year than Livan 7.

True.... but if Livan gets close to 10 million, someone is losing their mind. Lohse, I still think is asking too much, but I would rather pay him 10 a year than Livan 7.
    Or pay Tomko $2M.

If you need a mediocre starter, at least get it cheaply.

Tomko is every bit as bad as guys like Hernandez etc.

But he will cost about 25% of what those others cost.

Or pay Tomko $2M.

If you need a mediocre starter, at least get it cheaply.

Tomko is every bit as bad as guys like Hernandez etc.

But he will cost about 25% of what those others cost.
    Right.... if I am going to actually think about throwing a guy every 5 days who isn't good and I know it, then I am not going to pay him like he is good just because he pitches every 5 days.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I simply don't buy the fact that we would have to deal any of the "big 4" to get Blanton.

Maloney, Stubbs and Turner would be more than enough IMO. Beane isn't foolish, he knows Blanton doesn't have the value of Haren and is smart enough to know he shouldn't demand a similiar package. Certainly he may ask for Cueto or Votto as a jumping off point, but any smart negotiator knows you ask for more than you would be willing to accept.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    If the Reds are determined to give up their top prospects, I'd rather it be for a player whose skills fit better with their park and poor defense than do Blanton's.
    Nicely put, and that's exactly how I see it. Not walking guys is always a good thing, but when you have this Reds defense behind you, you need to miss all the bats you can.

As far as I'm concerned, unless Beane wants to accept a package of 2nd to 3rd tier prospects, they can keep his career 5.24 K/9 in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I simply don't buy the fact that we would have to deal any of the "big 4" to get Blanton.

Maloney, Stubbs and Turner would be more than enough IMO. Beane isn't foolish, he knows Blanton doesn't have the value of Haren and is smart enough to know he shouldn't demand a similiar package. Certainly he may ask for Cueto or Votto as a jumping off point, but any smart negotiator knows you ask for more than you would be willing to accept.
    If what you say is true, then Blaton will be a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

Beane isn't foolish and he doesn't need to trade Blanton. He is trying to rebuild his club but at the same time he could trade Blanton now, during the season, at the deadline, and even in next years offseason. He is likely to hold onto Blanton until he recieves a deal he can't pass up.

Turn Off Ads?