Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new desktop..

Buying a new desktop..

OK, I am not very well versed in newer computers. My wife and I are looking to purchase a new desktop. Our current one is about 6 years old and in cpu terms is ancient.

We do not need anything extravagant by any stretch. We mostly use our computer for internet browsing, music, and some gaming. We want to be able to do the whole picture thing, and my wife is big on her IPod/ITunes. We do not need a monitor or printer either. What are some good places to look for a desktop? I've looked at dell.com, Microcenter, etc.

We would like to stay in the $500 range. I found one that seems good to me. It's a HP Pavilion, and priced at $480. I'll list the basic components:

Pentium Dual-Core E2180
    2G PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
    500GB 7200RPB SATA HD
    SuperMulti DVD Writer
    128MB Nvidia GeForce 7100 SE card

I'd like to have a DVD burner so I can burn OSU game and such.

Anyway, any thoughts and help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buying a new desktop..

I bought one similar to that recently and am happy with it. Vista is a huge memory hog though and 3GB's are recommended minimum if you're using any sort of graphic or memory intensive applications (games etc..,). But you can get by with the 2GB's.

That sounds like a great price for a 500GB HDD and the processor - I also like the Lightscribe DVD drives since you can burn designs/labels right onto the disc, if it comes with one.

If you plan on upgrading the video card you'll want a 400W or higher power supply - most of the Presario's come with lowly 300-350W models. Also make sure it has a PCI-Express slot for the newer video cards.

Honestly that desktop seems just fine for the price - go for it.

I found this at tigerdirect.com.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...675&CatId=2658

I prefer AMD to intel, but maybe that's just me.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I prefer AMD to intel, but maybe that's just me.
    Its not just you.

Any Mac users? The wife and I are considering buying an IMac, but have been PC users all our lives.
    Any personal reviews on the new IMac or Leopard?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

C'mon Ry, you can't run Diamond Mind correctly on a Mac. Priorities, brother!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    C'mon Ry, you can't run Diamond Mind correctly on a Mac. Priorities, brother!
    Believe me, this is a major concern. As I understand it, Macs run windows quite well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    OK, I am not very well versed in newer computers. My wife and I are looking to purchase a new desktop. Our current one is about 6 years old and in cpu terms is ancient.

We do not need anything extravagant by any stretch. We mostly use our computer for internet browsing, music, and some gaming. We want to be able to do the whole picture thing, and my wife is big on her IPod/ITunes. We do not need a monitor or printer either. What are some good places to look for a desktop? I've looked at dell.com, Microcenter, etc.

We would like to stay in the $500 range. I found one that seems good to me. It's a HP Pavilion, and priced at $480. I'll list the basic components:

Pentium Dual-Core E2180
    2G PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
    500GB 7200RPB SATA HD
    SuperMulti DVD Writer
    128MB Nvidia GeForce 7100 SE card

I'd like to have a DVD burner so I can burn OSU game and such.

Anyway, any thoughts and help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    I've had two HP Pavilions and have been very pleased, with no complaints. My only complaint with the first one was that it wasn't fire proof.

I bought my daughter an eMachine almost 2 years ago and haven't had one bit of trouble with it. It's been a solid computer.

I also bought my younger son a Dell for around $400. And we've had no problem with it either.

So far - I haven't heard good things about Vista. I was listening to a computer tech program on the radio a couple weeks ago and he said that Microsoft has a program integrated into Vista that will completely shut your computer down and not allow you to use it if it cannot verify any Microsoft programs, like Office and others, that you have on your computer. It will only allow you go to a certain Microsoft link in which you must verify that you legitimately purchased the program(s). He said it happened to him, and he had to go through a bureaucratic process that was a pain in the butt to prove he legitimately purchased the software. And in many other instances people, wanting to avoid the frustration and hassle, and needing to use their computers, re-purchased the software when they shouldn't have had to. Anyone heard more on this?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Any Mac users? The wife and I are considering buying an IMac, but have been PC users all our lives.
    Any personal reviews on the new IMac or Leopard?
    I'm a Mac user. If you can, just take some time to sit down in front of one and use it for a little while. Decide if you like the way it works. Some people like it, some don't.

The one nice thing is, if you don't like the way it works, you can still run any OS a PC can run on it.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I'm a Mac user. If you can, just take some time to sit down in front of one and use it for a little while. Decide if you like the way it works. Some people like it, some don't.

The one nice thing is, if you don't like the way it works, you can still run any OS a PC can run on it.
    Our closest Apple Store is about an hour away, but we are thinking of making the drive.
    I think we have really been attracted to the IMac all-in-one system. My wife hates the wires that inevitably come with a tower. None of the PC versions of the all-in-one come close as far as I can tell.
    Had any trouble running windows? How has your Mac hardware held up over time? This would probably be our last computer purchase for about 5 years, so we's like it to last.
    Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Our closest Apple Store is about an hour away, but we are thinking of making the drive.
    I think we have really been attracted to the IMac all-in-one system. My wife hates the wires that inevitably come with a tower. None of the PC versions of the all-in-one come close as far as I can tell.
    Had any trouble running windows? How has your Mac hardware held up over time? This would probably be our last computer purchase for about 5 years, so we's like it to last.
    Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.
    No problems running Windows. I use Parallels and I run it every day alongside the Mac OS. Been using it this way for a year and a half. You can also use Apple's Boot Camp although that forces you to start up into Mac OS or Windows.

About the Mac hardware, I've only had a couple of problems in nearly 20 years of Macing. My wife's MacBook had a bad internal drive last year that was replaced under warranty. This MacBookPro I use has a problem with one of the fans. I had an older machine in the mid-90's with a bad power supply but that got taken care of under warranty.

I usually get a new desktop every 3 years or so. That seems to be what it takes to keep up in the music bidness. If you don't need the latest, greatest, specification, 5 years should be pretty reasonable.

Hope that's helpful!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

iMacs use an Intel Core 2 processor, just like other PCs. Apple has added DRM code to their Leopard OS so that it won't run on other hardware. Some people have managed to do it, (run Leopard on non-Apple hardware,) but I'm not too certain of the legality of it all. It always irks me when a manufacturer artificially disables their product.

The new iMac is a beautiful box, though. I'm considering getting my wife the 24-inch WS version for her B-day. She works as an editor for a magazine and has worked with Apple products for most of her career. I built my machine myself to play high end games, (extra memory, striped set of SATA drives, top end video card, etc.,) so I'd never use a Mac. I like tinkering with the parts too much.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    iMacs use an Intel Core 2 processor, just like other PCs. Apple has added DRM code to their Leopard OS so that it won't run on other hardware. Some people have managed to do it, (run Leopard on non-Apple hardware,) but I'm not too certain of the legality of it all. It always irks me when a manufacturer artificially disables their product.
    It's not legal or supported at all and people who go that route shouldn't expect to be able to use future updates. Apple is a hardware company that depends on the revenue from selling hardware to be successful. The CEO before Steve Jobs tried licensing the Mac OS to run on other companies hardware and it nearly killed the company.

That tight integration also makes support much simpler. If they supported installing the OS on any old processor, they would have to devote more resources to support than development.

The new iMac is a beautiful box, though. I'm considering getting my wife the 24-inch WS version for her B-day. She works as an editor for a magazine and has worked with Apple products for most of her career. I built my machine myself to play high end games, (extra memory, striped set of SATA drives, top end video card, etc.,) so I'd never use a Mac. I like tinkering with the parts too much.
    I have the 20-inch iMac from the previous generation. It's been a great machine.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    It always irks me when a manufacturer artificially disables their product.
    Back in the day, DEC marketed something called a VAXstation II/RC which was a low-end VAXstation. The way they made it low end was to take a full-blown VAXstation and use epoxy to seal over selected ports in the backplane and crippling it, i.e. low tech DRM.

Rumor had it you could disassemble the system, put the backplane in an oven, and melt out the epoxy and gain about $10K worth of functionality (systems cost much more back in the day). Once customers found out about this, they were quite irate.

Pay attention to the open sky

It begins and ends with a mac.
    "Pitching is the art of instilling fear."
    Sandy Koufax

Turn Off Ads?