Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a new desktop..

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Buying a new desktop..

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Macs may be a viable home alternative to windows based PC's but they are not practical for most business usage. I'm a professional software developer. Macs aren't even in the conversation when it comes to software development.
    My post was directed specifically towards their consumer usage. I probably should've made that a bit more explicit.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I see where you are coming from here. But my impression is that Mac can also do anything a PC can do as you can run Windows on a Mac pretty easily. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess we have sort of fallen for the IMac packaging. We are just sick of the endless number of cables and power chords that seem to follow every PC. Not to mention, my wife goes nuts about the space a tower takes up and the dust is collects.(Yes she is a bit nuts overall) The wife is in love with a lot of the ILife programs and I am interested in doing some recording. Can I do those kind of things on a PC without tons of different software titles?

We looked at the PC all-in-one computers, but they just don't add up to the IMac i.e. no 24" screens and the processors tend to be a step below. Believe me, I have done the comparison between what I can get for $1700 at Apple and what I can get from Dell or HP standard desktop and that may be what's holding me back.
    It sound like you (or your wife) has made a decision. Go for the mac. I don't think you will be sorry. I don't know how things go in your place, but making my wife happy would certainly sway any decision of mine. (happy wife = happy me)

Yes, you could probably cobble up some software/hardware combination on a PC that could cost you less. Do you have the time? Does $300 or $400 you might save spread out over the life of the computer (say three years) make it worth it? Paying for style? Why not? Every car doesn't have to be a model T.

Are you going to develop software (like woy?) or do some extreme gaming? How much?

With computer prices these days, I'm surprised this is so much of a decision. If you don't like it...ebay it for a small loss.

Buying (and selling) a computer is much less of a problem than buying a car or even a large screen tv.

Yes, I'm a mac user and a bit bias (four macs in the house + 1 PC). Macs have had their ups and downs. But "working" with them is a pleasure these days. The iLife series is excellent (comes with the computer).

iPhoto for organizing and actually DOING something with all those photos.
    We make DVDs of all our trips (with iDVD/iPhoto, music from iTunes)...the family LOVES them (especially the grandparents)
    iMovie...same thing (put together video clips).
    iWeb...actually did a travel blog. The whole family followed our adventures.
    and Garageband (which I admit never using) would probably be something you could get into.

If you get into this stuff, you WILL spend money (additional software/services/supplies, upgrades, etc.). It's like any other hobby.

Listen, if all you are going to do is browse and email...get a cheap PC with a good anti-virus program. You'll save a ton of money. Want to build one? Sounds like a fun hobby project (not time effective, however - do you also change your own motor oil?)

Otherwise, get a Mac (or get two...your wife is going to need one of her own eventually anyway).

Anyway...good luck and enjoy whatever you do purchase.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Me either... and I have a PC... of course I use Mozilla for everything.
    As was I when I got the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    It sound like you (or your wife) has made a decision. Go for the mac. I don't think you will be sorry. I don't know how things go in your place, but making my wife happy would certainly sway any decision of mine. (happy wife = happy me)
    Good advice, oneupper. I am going to check out the refurbs to see if I can knock off a couple hundred.
    BTW, the computer will primarily be the wife's, but I'm paying for it, so she's letting me make the decision. But as you pointed out, there seems to be only one decision to make.

High five!

Well, it couldn't be a computer thread without "platform fundamentalism" rearing it's ugly head.

Back to the question:

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    I see where you are coming from here. But my impression is that Mac can also do anything a PC can do as you can run Windows on a Mac pretty easily. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Correct. There is very little PC hardware and software that doesn't run on late-model Macs. I used to use two machines for my music and sound design work because one of my clients has a custom applications; some of which run on the Mac, some on the PC. I've used both Boot Camp and Parallels and find both to work very nicely with these custom applications, USB MIDI interfaces, USB audio, Firewire audio, etc. If you're going to run stuff in Windows it's worth going to the Parallels and making sure the peripherals and software titles you want to use work. Most do but I've read about a few things like smartphones that have trouble syncing. They seem to be pretty good about interfacing with their customers and improving compatibility.

I guess we have sort of fallen for the IMac packaging. We are just sick of the endless number of cables and power chords that seem to follow every PC. Not to mention, my wife goes nuts about the space a tower takes up and the dust is collects.(Yes she is a bit nuts overall) The wife is in love with a lot of the ILife programs and I am interested in doing some recording. Can I do those kind of things on a PC without tons of different software titles?
    Absolutely, you can do those things. I'm not familiar with the iLife-style packages on the PC but for doing audio either with Garageband all the way to Logic, there are many alternatives. Nuendo, Sonar, Cakewalk, Acid Pro (probably the closest thing to Garageband).

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about specific music soft or hardware.

We looked at the PC all-in-one computers, but they just don't add up to the IMac i.e. no 24" screens and the processors tend to be a step below. Believe me, I have done the comparison between what I can get for $1700 at Apple and what I can get from Dell or HP standard desktop and that may be what's holding me back.
    I would again encourage you to spend some times using a Mac to see if you really like the way it does what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I develop on PC's have a Mac too, it never impressed me enough to switch over myself and for business applications it's often costly. I'm an application guy anyway so the platform doesn't strike me as a sexy tool to entice me not to dig into the OS's settings.

I'm switching my wife to all freeware, she's going to be our Mozilla toolshed.

Platform will be Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/

Free... and easy.
    Sometimes i literally worship you.

I'm a big time open source guy. I use an opensource CMS for my college's website, I love mozilla, and I have downloaded ubuntu. As soon as I figure out how to run photoshop on it, I'm formatting my HD and installing it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?