Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Chris Shelton anyone??

Re: Chris Shelton anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    My fear is that if Hatteburg is here, he'll play. And, sad to say, he's not a bad player. He's just not the best player possible.

Dusty is veteran dominated unless he has no choice.

His starters give him little choice is the matter.

Ditto outfielders and The Boss.

Same with EdE at the hot corner. No options.

But Votto at 1B could be (might be) looked over in favor of the ageless one.
    This vet thing and Dusty is greatly overblown IMO. Unless Votto tanks in spring training or gets traded for picthing he's the 1st baseman (against RHP anyway) IMO.

Everyone likes to say Dusty won't play young guys but honestly, what young guys has he buried? I think the vet thing is much more a function of having worked for brian sabean for so long as it is anything else. Now sabean, that guys loves him some vets.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    This vet thing and Dusty is greatly overblown IMO. Unless Votto tanks in spring training or gets traded for picthing he's the 1st baseman (against RHP anyway) IMO.

Everyone likes to say Dusty won't play young guys but honestly, what young guys has he buried? I think the vet thing is much more a function of having worked for brian sabean for so long as it is anything else. Now sabean, that guys loves him some vets.
    I'd also say that historically, Dusty's rosters have been chock full o' vets/old farts. He just hasn't had all that many youngsters to sit in favor of the geriatric set.

If anything, Dusty will pitch youngsters early and often. She displayed that fine strategy in Chicago. When he was in San Francisco, he used what he had, which more often than not was old old old.

Let's remember that Hatteberg walks a fair amount, Dusty won't be happy with that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Let's remember that Hatteberg walks a fair amount, Dusty won't be happy with that.
    Clogging up the bases with base runners, yeesh.
    Go Gators!

Hobgoblins abound.

Lack of serious power aside some guys can just hit. I get the concept of isolated discipline but not every player is going to be a walk machine.

I see no problem with giving him the AB's at 1b against LHP.
    We can put aside his "Lack of serious power aside". I really have a bigger problem with his batting average driven on base percentage. Ichiro can hit a little bit too, but that doesn't mean I want him getting AB's at 1B for the Reds. The real problem, lack of power aside, is his actually playing 1B. He's played that position at the Major League level for a total of 32 innings the past four seasons and he only has eight appearances at 1B for his Minor League career. Do you really want a 6' 0'' 1B, with that little experiance at the position, receiving throws across the diamond from Edwin Encarnacion?

Jeff Conine/Jorge Cantu made 62 starts, and combined played 537 innings last season as the RH platoon for Hatteberg. I'm just not that comfortable giving 37% of my playing time at 1B next season to a guy with that little experiance actually playing that particular position. I may even be less enthused, if that's possible, by giving Mr. Keppinger the 371 AB's that the RH platoon of Jeff Conine/Jorge Cantu received last season.

I'll say this again. If Mr. Keppinger get's 300 AB's next season, it doesn't even concern me at what position he plays while getting those Ab's, it's going to mean that the Reds have a real problem on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    thank god.. otherwise the games would be longer and more boring.
    Can't we just find a way to play the games on paper? Less commercials for performance enhancing drugs on television that way.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    We can put aside his "Lack of serious power aside". I really have a bigger problem with his batting average driven on base percentage. Ichiro can hit a little bit too, but that doesn't mean I want him getting AB's at 1B for the Reds. The real problem, lack of power aside, is his actually playing 1B. He's played that position at the Major League level for a total of 32 innings the past four seasons and he only has eight appearances at 1B for his Minor League career. Do you really want a 6' 0'' 1B, with that little experiance at the position, receiving throws across the diamond from Edwin Encarnacion?

Jeff Conine/Jorge Cantu made 62 starts, and combined played 537 innings last season as the RH platoon for Hatteberg. I'm just not that comfortable giving 37% of my playing time at 1B next season to a guy with that little experiance actually playing that particular position. I may even be less enthused, if that's possible, by giving Mr. Keppinger the 371 AB's that the RH platoon of Jeff Conine/Jorge Cantu received last season.

I'll say this again. If Mr. Keppinger get's 300 AB's next season, it doesn't even concern me at what position he plays while getting those Ab's, it's going to mean that the Reds have a real problem on their hands.

Can't we just find a way to play the games on paper? Less commercials for performance enhancing drugs on television that way.
    you don'T want Ichiro playing for the Reds really?

Something I don't understand about Reds fans, is why when we have a surplus somewhere we need to trade it. Scott Hatteberg has very little trade value, but he is a VERY professional hitter.

The Reds are in St. Louis and it's in the top of the 9th, trailing 4-3. The pitcher's spot, Hopper, and Phillips are due up in the 9th. Isringhausen is on the mound. Scott Hatteberg would be the perfect guy to have up in that situation. He can work a walk, he can get a hit, he's going to make the closer work. If he gets on base, you pinch run with a guy like Freel, Dickerson or whoever is on the bench.

Scott Hatteberg, as a 9th man, is a VERY valuable player in the NL. Much more valuable then anything you will get in return.

you don'T want Ichiro playing for the Reds really?
    Umm, that's not really what I said. Or should that be typed?
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'd also say that historically, Dusty's rosters have been chock full o' vets/old farts. He just hasn't had all that many youngsters to sit in favor of the geriatric set.
    This is exactly what he said when he was asked about the youngsters and playing them when he was questioned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Umm, that's not really what I said. Or should that be typed?
    Not really I guess. I think you're worrying too much about it though. I'm certainly not worried about whether or not he can handle the position defensively. The guy is a SS after all.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Scott Hatteberg has very little trade value, but he is a VERY professional hitter.

I only like volunteer hitters myself.

Not really I guess. I think you're worrying too much about it though.
    Well, I am a worrier by nature.

I'm certainly not worried about whether or not he can handle the position defensively. The guy is a SS after all.
    If by "the guy is a SS after all", you mean he was drafted as one out of high school in 2001, then yea' I agree, he's a SS. The thing is, he really hasn't played SS much during his pro career. Even the Pirates who drafted him immediately moved him to 2B. His 47 appearances at SS (43 games started) for the Reds last season were his first at the Major League level.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when I look at this guy the very definition of replacement player keeps coming up. Now that's not meant to be a slam against him because there's real value there. I just don't believe that value is best utilized by giving him the amount of AB's and playing time we're talking about by making him the RH platoon partner at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I only like volunteer hitters myself.
    Joe Randa does have some 1B experiance.

Turn Off Ads?