Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assuming no more pitchers are acquired

Assuming no more pitchers are acquired

How should Dusty Baker et al decide the remaining spots in the rotation? At this point, I am assuming that Belisle is pretty much assured a spot. That would leave the 4 and 5 spots between the 4 young guns. Assuming everyone is healthy and in shape, should the Reds just let them "battle it out" in the spring, or pretty much just decide on them and let them prepare for the season?

For the most part, I am not a fan of starting pitchers competing for sports in Spring Training, especially young pitchers. I feel that it's much more important in Spring Training for them to get ready for the season. But then again, what other choice does the team have?

Thoughts?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Assuming no more pitchers are acquired

Personally I feel that Belise hasn't proved a thing and shouldn't be "given" a spot but he will any way

The rotation will look

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belise
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Last edited by redhawk61; 01-15-2008 at 11:37 AM.

I think Belisle Volquez and Bailey are going to be the final 3 in no real order. Then Cueto starts in AAA. I think Bailey and Volquez are in the starting rotation all year long unless they get flat out blown up like 6+ eras

If you count Belisle as the #3, I think there are only 3 young guns: Bailey, Cueto and Volquez. You could count Matt Maloney as one, but he might be a year away. Johnny Cueto will also start at AAA, unless he is totally dominating in spring training. I would expect to see Volquez as a #4 and Bailey as #5 if no further moves are made.

Yeah look for, about 2 months in, Volquez and Bailey to move up to 3 & 4 with Cueto and Maloney getting their shots in the 5th spot.

If your wondering where is Belise, he is sitting in the bullpen or with another team feeling scared about his next encounter with Chase Utley (if that was the guy who it 2 HR's against him in consecutive AB's)

I still think Cueto's impact on the 2008 Reds will be through the pen, kind of like what the Yanks did with Joba Chamberlein last year. And honestly, I wouldn't mind that at all. Infact, moving Cueto to the setup role all but solidifies our pen for next year.

A rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Bailey, and Volquez doesn't exactly light my eyes up for this year, but I do see the potential for years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Personally I feel that Belise hasn't proved a thing and should be "given" a spot but he will any way
    I agree, I like him in the pen better. But my feeling is WK and company already have him penciled in the rotation.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    I agree, I like him in the pen better. But my feeling is WK and company already have him penciled in the rotation.
    I disagree. Check out this ol' thread to get an idea of most SunDeck'rs opinions: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64497

I would put Volquez #3, Belisle #4, and Bailey #5. Volquez has more durability so I would have him ahead of Bailey. As for Belisle, I would put him between Volquez and Bailey because Volquez and Bailey have such similar styles...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I disagree. Check out this ol' thread to get an idea of most SunDeck'rs opinions: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64497

I would put Volquez #3, Belisle #4, and Bailey #5. Volquez has more durability so I would have him ahead of Bailey. As for Belisle, I would put him between Volquez and Bailey because Volquez and Bailey have such similar styles...
    Fair enough. But let's assume for a moment that Homer or Volquez has a really bad spring. Does that automatically punch their ticket to Louisville? Or do you go ahead and say, nope, you guys start the season in Cincinnati?

Fair enough. But let's assume for a moment that Homer or Volquez has a really bad spring. Does that automatically punch their ticket to Louisville? Or do you go ahead and say, nope, you guys start the season in Cincinnati?
    Spring stats don't bug me too much. It kinda depends on what the other guys do, and don't forget that becuase of the off days we really only need 4 starters for most of April...

This whole thread is based on the premise we acquire no more starting pitchers. In that case, we will keep Belisle, Vasquez, and Bailey in the back end of the rotation. Krivsky and Co. will have no choice but to let the young kids play all season(or until Cueto and Maloney are ready) and let them take their lumps. That is why it is imperative to pick up another veteran starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    This whole thread is based on the premise we acquire no more starting pitchers. In that case, we will keep Belisle, Vasquez, and Bailey in the back end of the rotation. Krivsky and Co. will have no choice but to let the young kids play all season(or until Cueto and Maloney are ready) and let them take their lumps. That is why it is imperative to pick up another veteran starting pitcher.
    Not quite sure about the imparitive part, but otherwise, I agree. Belisle has shown the ability to be an effective starter, but has been less than consistent. (ala Lohse). Maybe Bailey learned something last year. And Volquez is intriguing. If one or two of these guys "get it", we could have a fun season. Granted those are "ifs"...... I'm growing weary of "ifs by the way"...

Well Volquez won't as he is out of Options. If Cueto were to beat him out in ST E-Vol would be in the bullpen. Stupid Texas and their rushing of E-Vol, They tried to pull a Ryan Wagner. Hopefully we got him at the right time and can turn him into the top tier pitcher that he can be.
    Last edited by redhawk61; 01-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Well Volquez won't as he is out of Options. If Cueto were to beat him out in ST E-Vol would be in the bullpen. Stupid Texas and their rushing of E-Vol, They tried to pull a Ryan Wagner. Hopefully we got him at the right time and can turn him into the top tier pitcher that he can be.
    Ahhhh, there is the rub. is he an adaptable, coachable, player? Or, is he a Ryan Wagner, Brett Tomko un-coachable. We shall soon see. I will be at ST to see just that sort of thing. Indications are he has the goods, but so did the afore-mentioned. I qualify that after attending a game 3 years ago, with a friend who pitched in the Minors for 3 years when Wagner got the call. He said right off, "I don't like this guy. He hops right before he throws". Watching Wagner after that comment, yep. Poor delivery. The Reds said the next year a flaw had been corrected. What's he doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Ahhhh, there is the rub. is he an adaptable, coachable, player? Or, is he a Ryan Wagner, Brett Tomko un-coachable. We shall soon see. I will be at ST to see just that sort of thing. Indications are he has the goods, but so did the afore-mentioned. I qualify that after attending a game 3 years ago, with a friend who pitched in the Minors for 3 years when Wagner got the call. He said right off, "I don't like this guy. He hops right before he throws". Watching Wagner after that comment, yep. Poor delivery. The Reds said the next year a flaw had been corrected. What's he doing now?
    I'm headed down this year as well, can't wait. Hopefully I get to see the three young pitchers throw as I am going to the Detroit and Pit game on the 17th and 18th.

Anyway, E-vol has some really good stuff and at the least he should be a very good bullpen arm

Turn Off Ads?