Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #28 prospect?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Anderson

1 1.33%
  • Brett Bartles

1 1.33%
  • Jose Castro

1 1.33%
  • Tzu-Kai Chui

4 5.33%
  • Zach Cozart

3 4.00%
  • Richie Gardner

14 18.67%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

2 2.67%
  • Chris Heisey

1 1.33%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Danny Herrera

7 9.33%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

3 4.00%
  • Paul Janish

14 18.67%
  • Ben Jukich

4 5.33%
  • Derrik Lutz

2 2.67%
  • Juan Rafael

0 0%
  • Ramon Ramirez

2 2.67%
  • Alexander Smit

5 6.67%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

2 2.67%
  • Phil Valiquette

1 1.33%
  • Other (please specify)

8 10.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #28

Redszone Community Prospect Vote #28

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #28 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
    Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
    Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
    Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
    Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
    Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
    Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
    Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
    Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
    Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
    Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring
    Prospect 18 - Adam Rosales
    Prospect 19 - Tyler Pelland
    Prospect 20 - Daryl Thompson
    Prospect 21 - Pedro Viola
    Prospect 22 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect 23 - Sam Lecure
    Prospect 24 - Marcus McBeth
    Prospect 25 - Justin Turner
    Prospect 26 - Chris Dickerson
    Prospect 27 - Scott Carroll

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #28

I will put a vote in for Other and vote for Logan Parker. I expect good things from him in the future. Please put Parker in the next poll.

Richie Gardner should go here. He was doing well last season on the comeback trail until he hit a snag and stopped pitching well. If it was a nagging injury and not something serious, he could be a real surprise this season.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

never mind
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-15-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: bad idea
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'm going with Alex Smit. Some people considered him to be one of the best prospects in baseball until he struggled for the first half of 2007. Some people said he was rattled, and some people say it was merely injuries that were holding him back, but regardless, he came to the Reds and really started to turn things around. 11K/9IP is impressive, and I think his clean slate with the Reds will take him a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm going with Alex Smit. Some people considered him to be one of the best prospects in baseball until he struggled for the first half of 2007. Some people said he was rattled, and some people say it was merely injuries that were holding him back, but regardless, he came to the Reds and really started to turn things around. 11K/9IP is impressive, and I think his clean slate with the Reds will take him a long way.
    Who are these people? I have never seen Smit as being anywhere near 'one of the best prospects in baseball'. He has never been a BA top 100 prospect, so I am not sure where you heard he was one of the best prospects in baseball, but I think you were misinformed.

Who are these people? Pretty d--- snippy aren't we?

Sorry to tell you Doug but Smit was one of Baseball America's 20 best prospects in 2003, he was highly regarded in Minny until he had ankle problems. His fastball sits at 93, he has a sharp slider, a good changeup and a decent curve to go with his FB. He never would have been available but he turned his ankle, pitched differently and developed soreness in his arm -but nothing torn. Yes -Smit was considered one of baseball's brightest prospects at one time. He threw 7 innings of no hit ball in Sarasota and most importantly looked fully recovered healthwise. He's won't be 23 until October and I think it likely he'll end up being a steal for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

Sorry to tell you Doug but Smit was one of Baseball America's 20 best prospects in 2003, he was highly regarded in Minny until he had ankle problems. His fastball sits at 93, he has a sharp slider, a good changeup and a decent curve to go with his FB. He never would have been available but he turned his ankle, pitched differently and developed soreness in his arm -but nothing torn. Yes -Smit was considered one of baseball's brightest prospects
    at one time. He threw 7 innings of no hit ball in Sarasota and most importantly looked fully recovered healthwise. He's won't be 23 until October and I think it likely he'll end up being a steal for the Reds.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...res/26983.html

The history of baseball America's top 100 list. Smit is nowhere to be found on the list. He may have been a Minnesota Top 20 prospect, but thats about it. Don't get me wrong, he was a solid prospect around the time you are referring to, but he wasn't a top 100 in baseball guy, much less a top 20 guy.

Top 20 in GCL actually, also on list as honorable mention as one of top 15 LH pitching prospects in minor league baseball. All baseball. Also more info on Smit -if he put up the stats he did in Miny after signing with the Reds you'd be screaming his name as the next coming...think I'm kidding? Look at his numbers overall. Outside of Bailey and Cueto, no one in the Reds system has come close to his numbers.

Smit walks a few more than you’d like, but the 6’4” 210 pound lefty sure knows how to strike guys out. After early-season tough luck at Beloit last year, the Twins demoted Smit to E-Town, where he proceeded to strike out 86 batters in 45 2/3 innings working only out of the bullpen. Smit pitched as a reliever to start the 2006 season but has still gotten eleven starts. He saved his best stuff for starting, going 5-0 with a 2.28 ERA with 88 strikeouts and 30 walks in 67 innings pitched. His walk rate dramatically improved as a starter, a sign that he may be breaking out in a big way. Smit has certainly always had the talent to dominate. But this year, he has taken a big step forward with his velocity, sitting 92 and hitting 95 – really exciting numbers for a known as extremely projectable to be throwing at this young an age because it means he could gain even more velocity as he continues to develop. Scouts rave about his ability to hide the ball from hitters. This works well with Smit’s above-average slider and amazing curveball – a 12-6 hammer with very tight rotation that comes in 17-20 MPH slower than his fastball. Smit also occasionally throws a sinking changeup, but it’s an inconsistent pitch at best. Smit recently garnered an honorable mention on Kevin Goldstein’s list of the top 15 lefthanded prospects in the majors. He’s got great stuff, a projectable build, no injury history, and great numbers. And he’s improving his control. If he continues to break out, especially in the control department, expect Alexander Smit’s name to move up the list of top lefty prospects in the game. (from 2006)

Top 20 in the GCL means pretty much nothing. That means he was one of the 20 best prospects in the lowest level of the minor leagues. Jay Bruce was the #2 prospect in the GCL and the #1 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2005, and was the #76 prospect in baseball the same season.... and that was coming out of one of the strongest draft classes in a long time.

Being a fan of the Twins, I have known about Smit for years. He was a very good prospect at one time, but his stock has taken a tumble from roughly being in the 150 (early in his career) range to well below that right now. He isn't throwing as hard as he was when that report came out. His offspeed stuff might be similar, but he isn't throwing 92-95 now unless something changed from when he was in Dayton. Lets also realize that you are quoting stuff from 2006 as if it still applies today. It doesn't. If he were still a top 15 LHP prospect in baseball, the Twins wouldn't have let him go for free.

Don't take it as I don't like him, or that he has no hope.... its far from that. But he certainly isn't the guy you are trying to make him out to be.

To be honest, I'm short on time and too lazy to dig up exact quotes right now. That's also not to mention that RedlegJake pulled out a couple good things. I will say, however, that Alex Smit was onced ranked by some at Baseball America as a better prospect than Glen Perkins, who was the Twins' first-round draft pick a few years ago--and this was coming from a group that is always heavily-criticized for ranking recently-drafted prospects too highly. Too-many-to-count people over the years have said that Smit has "ace" stuff. Sure, you could probably say that about at least 30 prospects in baseball at any time, but how many of them put up numbers anywhere near what Smit did as a teenager?

I also want to iterate that we're talking about the #28 prospect in the Reds organization. To put it into perspective, I believe RedsZone picked Josh Hamilton as the #15 prospect in the organization last year.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

Sorry to tell you Doug but Smit was one of Baseball America's 20 best prospects in 2003, he was highly regarded in Minny until he had ankle problems. His fastball sits at 93, he has a sharp slider, a good changeup and a decent curve to go with his FB. He never would have been available but he turned his ankle, pitched differently and developed soreness in his arm -but nothing torn. Yes -Smit was considered one of baseball's brightest prospects at one time. He threw 7 innings of no hit ball in Sarasota and most importantly looked fully recovered healthwise. He's won't be 23 until October and I think it likely he'll end up being a steal for the Reds.
    He' still relatively young, but 2008 will be his 6th professional season. By my understanding, he'll be a free agent after next year. That 2006 year is certainly enticing, but he was nowhere close to that last year and has a long way to go.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That 2006 year is certainly enticing, but he was nowhere close to that last year while with the Twins organization and has a long way to go.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm going with Herrera... size, reliever, and trick pitch be damned.

22 in AA
    7.39 H/9
    0.52 HR/9
    3.44 BB/9
    11.01 K/9

At this point in the list, nobody projects to be an impact player. But here's a guy who's done it at AA at a good age. Until he proves otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?