Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #28 prospect?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Anderson

1 1.33%
  • Brett Bartles

1 1.33%
  • Jose Castro

1 1.33%
  • Tzu-Kai Chui

4 5.33%
  • Zach Cozart

3 4.00%
  • Richie Gardner

14 18.67%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

2 2.67%
  • Chris Heisey

1 1.33%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Danny Herrera

7 9.33%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

3 4.00%
  • Paul Janish

14 18.67%
  • Ben Jukich

4 5.33%
  • Derrik Lutz

2 2.67%
  • Juan Rafael

0 0%
  • Ramon Ramirez

2 2.67%
  • Alexander Smit

5 6.67%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Craig Tatum

2 2.67%
  • Phil Valiquette

1 1.33%
  • Other (please specify)

8 10.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #28

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote #28

Camisadelgolf, did being traded to the Reds magically transform him back in to being the pitcher he was in 2006 -- with the twins. Yes, I'm aware he put up good numbers with the Reds, but I'd like a little more understanding on why he was so horrible for the Twins in 2007.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It appears Justin Reed was left off the voting list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It appears Justin Reed was left off the voting list.
    Doh!

There is an 'other' option for when I make goofs like that one though, so hopefully everyone notes it.

Vote "other" for Justin Reed.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Camisadelgolf, did being traded to the Reds magically transform him back in to being the pitcher he was in 2006 -- with the twins.
    In a word, yes. Clearly, it was magic that caused a transformation. What a lot of people don't know is that after the Reds acquired Smit through waivers, they traded Ryan Freel's Farney for Alex Smit's lucky leprechaun named 'Piggelmee'. For those who don't believe me, just take a look at Ryan Freel's stats after the waiver claim.

Also, if you're wondering, Farney became property of the Reds after an arrangement that was made during Freel's contract extension (hence Freel being over-paid). Anyway, Alex Smit's magic, clog-wearing, cheese-making, windmill-powered leprechaun, Piggelmee, proceeded to grant all of Alex Smit's wishes so long as Smit asked humbly.

However, what Smit is now realizing is that every time a wish is granted by Piggelmee, the water around a dike/levee near his home becomes blacker. If Smit keeps asking for wishes, he will soon find himself back in a Cologne pot.

But seriously, apparently Smit has always battled inconsistency with his velocity. Here is a quote from http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5414:

Also getting some late-season attention in the Midwest League is Twins lefthander Alexander Smit, who may be in his fourth pro season at only in Low A, but is still just 20 years old and has blossomed in a late-season move to the rotation, going 4-0 with a 2.52 ERA in nine starts while allowing just 30 hits in 50 innings and striking out 66. "He's completely changed my mind about him," said an American League scout, who saw Smit last year as well, when he had a 5.84 ERA. "Last year he was like 83-85 mph and now he's suddenly 89-92 and pitching very well." While Smit fired seven one-hit innings last night with 11 strikeouts, the scout still thinks he'll need to make some adjustments as he moves up. "He really pitches off that fastball and has plenty of deception, but as he advances, he's going to have to tighten up his secondary stuff."
    I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that he was throwing better soon after he got to Cincinnati, too. Maybe it was a health issue, maybe it was something mechanical, maybe he hated his teammates, or maybe he was just getting lazy and the Reds gave him a wake-up call. I have no idea. Whatever it was, you can't deny that there was a big improvement when he came to the Reds, though.

Ric Smits was a heck of a good player for the Pacers. Oh wait...nevermind.

I voted for Janish again. He plays MLB-caliber defense now and he did hit the ball well in 2006. I was disappointed with his bat in 2007, but I think repeating AAA will make him better. He could easily replace Castro now (yes, that is a low quality threshold).

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm going with Herrera... size, reliever, and trick pitch be damned.

22 in AA
    7.39 H/9
    0.52 HR/9
    3.44 BB/9
    11.01 K/9

At this point in the list, nobody projects to be an impact player. But here's a guy who's done it at AA at a good age. Until he proves otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I am going to respectfully disagree with you on that as I do think Smit can be an impact player. Whether he will or won't isn't that big a deal at this point in the list as you pointed out by picking Herrera. Smit has the tools to be an impact arm and can still make the bigs easy before he turns 26.

All that said he will be my next pick as I think Gardener being as close as he is and could still be a solid addition has a tad more value right now.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Where's Justin Reed?

He finished 3rd among the remaining players on the #27 list and he's got ceiling to burn compared to guys like Gardner and Janish. Janish pretty much has IF utility glove ceiling. Yuck.

Anyway, Reed's got my vote. He's the only guy left who made a BA top 20 after the 2007 season.
    Last edited by M2; 01-15-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Where's Justin Reed?

He finished 3rd among the remaining players on the #27 list and he's got ceiling to burn compared to guys like Gardner and Janish. Janish pretty much has IF utility glove ceiling. Yuck.

Anyway, Reed's got my vote. He's the only guy left who made a BA top 20 after the 2007 season.
    Forgot him when I was typing them in. That one is on me.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I wonder how the Reds' prospects feel about our community project.

I'll go with Ramon Ramirez slightly over Justin Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I wonder how the Reds' prospects feel about our community project.
    "Nerds"

My "other" vote is for Reed.

If a run-off is required, maybe add Justin Reed to the run-off since he isn't on this ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If a run-off is required, maybe add Justin Reed to the run-off since he isn't on this ballot.
    He has a little more than half of the vote as the other guys. While I goofed and left him off the list, if he were on there I don't think he would garner much more than he has gotten already.

Turn Off Ads?