Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA investigating John Wooden?

NCAA investigating John Wooden?

When you're 97 years old you should probably be spending whatever limited amount of time you have left doing the things you love to do. Like playing shuffleboard, or watching Matlock. If you're John Wooden, that probably means spending some time around UCLA and its men's basketball team.

Unfortunately for the legendary Wooden, the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that Wooden is the greatest threat to this country's youth (even more than bears). As the L.A. Times reports, the NCAA is after him.

Just before the start of this college basketball season, UCLA received a letter of inquiry from the NCAA, seeking information about possible illegal contact between a recruit and a person representing the interests of the university.

The recruit was Kevin Love, now the Bruins' star freshman center.

The person representing the interests of the university was John Wooden.

The NCAA has not disclosed who made the complaint.

Are you kidding me? The NCAA has decided to go after the man that helped make the game relevant in the first place? Did Congress subpoena Babe Ruth today as well for their steroid hearings?

The problem the NCAA has with Wooden stems from the fact that Wooden had contact with Love before he committed to UCLA. The coach even had dinner with the family. Of course, since he's still a paid employee of UCLA, Wooden's visit with Love would seem to be entirely legal.

So I really don't think this inquiry is ever going to get anywhere, but the idea that it even exists just blows my mind.

He's 97-years old! Leave the man alone.

What's he going to do? Give recruits tips on where all the good early bird specials are around campus?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...den-wait-what/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NCAA investigating John Wooden?

Are you kidding me? The NCAA has decided to go after the man that helped make the game relevant in the first place? Did Congress subpoena Babe Ruth today as well for their steroid hearings?

The problem the NCAA has with Wooden stems from the fact that Wooden had contact with Love before he committed to UCLA. The coach even had dinner with the family. Of course, since he's still a paid employee of UCLA, Wooden's visit with Love would seem to be entirely legal.

So I really don't think this inquiry is ever going to get anywhere, but the idea that it even exists just blows my mind.

I think if Babe Ruth were alive and there was evidence he had used steroids then, yeah, he should be called to testify before Congress. Age and importance to the sport shouldn't give you a free pass.

O.K. I'm confused. If those dinners were legal under NCAA rules, why the investigation?

I saw the title of this thread and I thought the NCAA was going after Wooden for all that Sam Gilbert stuff that went down when he was coaching there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I always knew that guy was a cheater.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

What does his age have to do with whether or not rules were broken? Once you hit your 90s, you can no longer break rules? I know that may sound callous, but I really do not understand the age card being played here.

The NCAA is infinitely wise.

What's he going to do? Give recruits tips on where all the good early bird specials are around campus?
    No, he is a living legend. Surely one isn't naive enough to think that might not influence a recruit. Again, the question isn't his age, its whether or not he committed an NCAA violation.

But Coach K can get paid to talk about how great Duke is for a credit card company...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    But Coach K can get paid to talk about how great Duke is for a credit card company...
    In his defense, there's only indirect allusion to Duke.

It's moreso a commercial with him as a "celebrity", rather than a basketball coach.

Regardless, I can't stand Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    In his defense, there's only indirect allusion to Duke.
    You mean, other than D-U-K-E spelled out on the floor of Cameron Indoor as he walks across?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    You mean, other than D-U-K-E spelled out on the floor of Cameron Indoor as he walks across?
    He's just soooooo photogenic.

Coach K isn't having dinner with recruits in those commercials. It's an apples to bricks comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Coach K isn't having dinner with recruits in those commercials. It's an apples to bricks comparison.
    Maybe so, but the spirit of the rules is to create a fair recruiting process. Truth is, direct or alluded, Coach K is marketing Duke in that commercial. It's unmistakable.

John Wooden has a slight history of unethical recruiting guys. Even at 97 I bet he's the best there is left.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Maybe so, but the spirit of the rules is to create a fair recruiting process. Truth is, direct or alluded, Coach K is marketing Duke in that commercial. It's unmistakable.
    What's wrong with him marketing Duke? Did he use any players to market Duke?
    There are no rules against coaches using their home court for a commercial as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    What's wrong with him marketing Duke? Did he use any players to market Duke?
    There are no rules against coaches using their home court for a commercial as far as I know.
    Sprint keeps trying to sell me this Kelvin Sampson Hoosier Wallpaper for my cellphone.

Turn Off Ads?