Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Officially now

BENGALS HIRE MIKE ZIMMER

AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The Bengals today filled the team’s defensive coordinator position with the hiring of Mike Zimmer, who has been an NFL coordinator for the past eight seasons.

Zimmer was Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator from 2000-06, including four years (2003-06) under head coach Bill Parcells. Zimmer moved to the Atlanta Falcons as coordinator in 2007. With the departure of Bobby Petrino as Falcons head coach, members of his staff were freed to pursue other opportunities.

“Mike has coordinated defenses at a high level in the NFL for a number of years,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, “and this is obviously a very important hire for me and for our organization. I’m excited about utilizing Mike’s ability to develop our young players and our defensive scheme.”

Zimmer, 51, is in his 15th season as an NFL coach in 2008. He joined the NFL with Dallas in 1994, and after six seasons working primarily as secondary coach, he was elevated to coordinator. He coached 15 years in the college ranks before joining the Cowboys, working at Missouri, Weber State and Washington State.

In Zimmer’s 13 years with Dallas, the Cowboys defense earned seven top 10 rankings in fewest yards allowed, and the team advanced to the postseason seven times. His 2003 defense led the NFL at 253.5 yards allowed per game as the team posted a 10-6 record. He earned a Super Bowl ring as an assistant with the 1995 Cowboys team that defeated Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XXX.

Zimmer was instrumental in the development of a number of defensive stars at Dallas, including S Roy Williams, CB Terence Newman and LB DeMarcus Ware. Williams has been named to his fifth Pro Bowl this season, while Newman and Ware are each in the Pro Bowl a second time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

3-4 guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis View Post
    “Mike has coordinated defenses at a high level in the NFL for a number of years, and this is obviously a very important hire for me and for our organization. I’m excited about utilizing Mike’s ability to develop our young players and our defensive scheme.”
    Looks like status-quo with the 3-4.

Wonder if much changes?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I like it. Possible switch to the 3-4 should be interesting to follow even though they wont do it.

Better than hoping for a free agent and being let down again for once

Print | Close Window

Last Updated: 8:43 pm | Tuesday, January 15, 2008
    Bengals hire Zimmer
    Former Falcons coordinator replaces Bresnahan
    BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM
    The Bengals today have hired Mike Zimmer as their third defensive coordinator since Marvin Lewis was brought in as head coach in January 2003.

Zimmer replaces Chuck Bresnahan, who was fired Jan. 2 after three seasons as coordinator.

“Mike has coordinated defenses at a high level in the NFL for a number of years,” Lewis said in a statement released by the team.

“This is obviously a very important hire for me and for our organization. I’m excited about utilizing Mike’s ability to develop our young players and our defensive scheme.”

Zimmer declined all interview requests Tuesday night. He is scheduled to have a news conference at 11 a.m. at Paul Brown Stadium.

Zimmer has eight seasons of NFL experience as a defensive coordinator. He coordinated the Atlanta Falcons defense in 2007 under former head coach Bobby Petrino, who had resigned late in the season to become the head coach at Arkansas. He had left Dallas following the resignation of former Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells after the 2006 season. Zimmer, Dallas’ defensive coordinator since 2000, was retained as coordinator by Parcells.

With the Bengals, Zimmer, 51, will be expected to elevate the performance of a defense that is widely regarded as the reason Cincinnati has reached the playoffs just once in five seasons under Lewis.

In the past five seasons, starting with 2007, the Bengals defense has ranked 27th, 30th, 28th, 19th and 28th in total yards allowed per game in the 32-team NFL. Leslie Frazier was fired as defensive coordinator following the 2004 season, when the defense’s 19th rank would last as the best in five seasons under Lewis.

Lewis came to national prominence as coordinator of the dominant Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl-winning defense in 2000.

Zimmer was credited as coordinator in Dallas for moving its defense from a three-linebacker to four-linebacker scheme, a possibility this offseason with the Bengals. Still, Zimmer is said to prefer the 4-3 defensive setup.

Zimmer and Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski were both on the Weber State staff from 1981-85.

During his time in Dallas, Zimmer established himself as one of the NFL's top defensive minds with a fundamentally sound and aggressive scheme. After joining the staff in 1994 as secondary coach, he was promoted to coordinator in 2000. Through the tumultuous Falcons 2007 season – starting with the NFL suspension of quarterback Michael Vick and crashing with Petrino’s resignation – Zimmer’s defense played hard and somewhat productively. Still, at the end of the season, the Falcons’ defensive rankings were comparably as poor as Cincinnati’s. Atlanta was ranked both 29th in points (25.9) and yards (355.5) allowed per game; the Bengals were 24th in points allowed (24.1) and 27th in yards (348.8).

The Bengals defense appears to be primed for an offseason makeover. Four starters can be unrestricted free agents beginning Feb. 29 – linebackers Landon Johnson and Dhani Jones, end Justin Smith and safety Madieu Williams. The Bengals are trying to re-sign all four players.

The Bengals also should regain the services of several linebackers injured in 2007, primarily Ahmad Brooks and Eric Henderson. The personnel could be there to make the switch to a four-linebacker scheme.

Zimmer was chosen ahead of several other candidates, mainly current Bengals defensive backs coach Kevin Coyle and consultant Donnie Henderson.

The Bengals were denied permission to interview Carolina Panthers defensive backs coach Tim Lewis. Former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was interviewed for head-coaching positions with the Ravens, Dolphins and Falcons.

Though dismissed by the Ravens Dec. 31 as part of a gutting of their staff, including former head coach Brian Billick, Ryan remained under the team’s thumb because he has one year remaining on his contract. The Ravens were not going to let Ryan leave to join the staff of an AFC North division rival.
    Print | Close Window | Copyright 2008, Enquirer.com

Can he play Defensive Tackle?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Great. So instead of starting with the great coaches and working down, it looks like we started in the middle. Here's to another season of mediocrity.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I don't have any problems with this hire - Rex Ryan is likely to be Atlanta's next head coach and even if he doesn't, it was highly unlikely Baltimore would let him go to a division rival, as the article states. Though it's completely unsurprising to me, what I do have a problem with is this:

The Bengals defense appears to be primed for an offseason makeover. Four starters can be unrestricted free agents beginning Feb. 29 – linebackers Landon Johnson and Dhani Jones, end Justin Smith and safety Madieu Williams. The Bengals are trying to re-sign all four players.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    3-4 guy?
    4-3 guy, alledgedly he was pretty much forced to switch to the 3-4 by Parcells. My guess is he stays with the 4-3, but look for fast LB's to be necc.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Doesn't matter one bit until the Bengals learn how to evaluate talent and how to build a team. We have watched the Patriots dominate the NFL for almost 8 years now and it's all built on such a simple premise. Protect the Qb at all costs and destroy the opposing Qb at all costs. I think Artrell Hawkins starting last year is about as perfect an example as you can get. Draft and develop the Defensive line and you will win in this league.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Doesn't matter one bit until the Bengals learn how to evaluate talent and how to build a team. We have watched the Patriots dominate the NFL for almost 8 years now and it's all built on such a simple premise. Protect the Qb at all costs and destroy the opposing Qb at all costs. I think Artrell Hawkins starting last year is about as perfect an example as you can get. Draft and develop the Defensive line and you will win in this league.
    I'm with you 100 percent on all the above.

After all the football I've watched, I'm convinced that by far the most important part of the game is controlling the line of scrimmage, protecting your quarterback, and getting to the opponent's quarterback. Build a team with a solid offensive and defensive line, and you'll give yourself a helluva chance. Lack one or both, and you'll give yourself an awful chance.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I don't have any problems with this hire - Rex Ryan is likely to be Atlanta's next head coach and even if he doesn't, it was highly unlikely Baltimore would let him go to a division rival, as the article states. Though it's completely unsurprising to me, what I do have a problem with is this:
    What part of it, the bolded? I'd like to keep all of them for the right money and roles but I wouldn't wanna pay what Justin and Landon probably want and Dhani and Madieu I can live with or without.

I'd probably re-sign Landon, tag Justin (to see if I could deal him for draftpicks/players/move up in the draft) and draft McFadden if I could get up that far if not stay put and draft Gholston/Ellis. The other 2 I would offer what's deemed fair depending on their roles. I really could care less about Jones coming back, Madieu I still like but not close to how I once did he may need a change of scenery.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm with you 100 percent on all the above.

After all the football I've watched, I'm convinced that by far the most important part of the game is controlling the line of scrimmage, protecting your quarterback, and getting to the opponent's quarterback. Build a team with a solid offensive and defensive line, and you'll give yourself a helluva chance. Lack one or both, and you'll give yourself an awful chance.

Oh that's the golden rule!!! And I'll take it one step further. Build your team from front (line of scrimmage) to back on both sides of the ball and from inside (C/DT) out.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Oh that's the golden rule!!! And I'll take it one step further. Build your team from front (line of scrimmage) to back on both sides of the ball and from inside (C/DT) out.
    The Bengals' operate exactly the opposite of that - by paying/signing "skill" position players exclusively, outside of OT's and at times, DE's.

Signing Smith or even tagging him again (if they can) is stupid. They finished 28th in yards allowed last year, and are at the bottom ever year Smith's been here. That defense needs a make-over, keeping Smith would be taking a step backward. Move on already. Use that dough and go get a LB or DT.

You have Geathers signed to big bucks, Fanene, Rucker and hopefully Henderson - in addition to whomever else they get, who can provide a pass rush.

The Bengals made running in place an art form

Turn Off Ads?