Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    What is he supposed to do? This is the NFL. No guaranteed contracts and surely someone like Geathers doesn't have enough years/respect to say anything.

I refuse to think they would ask a guy with no motivation and a guy who quits on plays and takes plays off to switch positions to fill a large void. It should be noted that the coaching staff thought he was good enough to make the move to begin with.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I refuse to think they would ask a guy with no motivation and a guy who quits on plays and takes plays off to switch positions to fill a large void. It should be noted that the coaching staff thought he was good enough to make the move to begin with.
    Again you are talking about one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL. Frankly I don't care about him taking plays off, he is still vastly over payed. He doesn't command any double teams or respect from opposing coordinators. I've never seen a player get mentioned less than him and make the money he makes. He got paid based on the Bengals FO and their idiocy. They love counting stats such as sacks and they don't have the vision/brains to see past glamour numbers. Geathers notched more than half his sacks that year against teams with terrible offenses/qb's and when the other team was throwing almost every down.

Does Robert Geathers change another teams game plan? Does Robert Geathers put fear into any team? Does Robert Geathers do anything that makes him irreplaceable? I say no to all and that's why he should be looked at as rotation filler only. Sadly the Bengals see Justin and Geathers as somehow a productive DE tandem. Laughable.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

He might be over payed but then again maybe he isnt. He didnt even get to play this year in his natural position. Talk to me in a season. Lets not fault him for being a team player and not crying about the position switch.

Let me ask you this, does anyone on the D put fear into any team? Maybe its the problem. Gaethers is fine but the talent level on the D has been poor for years and for him to even manage double digit sacks in a season playing with the talent on that side of the ball is a major accomplishment.

He might be over payed but then again maybe he isnt. He didnt even get to play this year in his natural position. Talk to me in a season. Lets not fault him for being a team player and not crying about the position switch.

Let me ask you this, does anyone on the D put fear into any team? Maybe its the problem. Gaethers is fine but the talent level on the D has been poor for years and for him to even manage double digit sacks in a season playing with the talent on that side of the ball is a major accomplishment.
    I'm not faulting him. It's not his fault the Bengals overpaid for his services based on counting stats that were skewed by easily identifiable factors.

Again you are talking about one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL. Frankly I don't care about him taking plays off, he is still vastly over payed. He doesn't command any double teams or respect from opposing coordinators. I've never seen a player get mentioned less than him and make the money he makes. He got paid based on the Bengals FO and their idiocy. They love counting stats such as sacks and they don't have the vision/brains to see past glamour numbers. Geathers notched more than half his sacks that year against teams with terrible offenses/qb's and when the other team was throwing almost every down.

Does Robert Geathers change another teams game plan? Does Robert Geathers put fear into any team? Does Robert Geathers do anything that makes him irreplaceable? I say no to all and that's why he should be looked at as rotation filler only. Sadly the Bengals see Justin and Geathers as somehow a productive DE tandem. Laughable.
    He's getting PAID like a player that does all those things you mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm not faulting him. It's not his fault the Bengals overpaid for his services based on counting stats that were skewed by easily identifiable factors.
    So no matter what the argument you are going to spin it? Glad i know this now so we can just let the thread die.

So no matter what the argument you are going to spin it? Glad i know this now so we can just let the thread die.
    Spin what? The guy is overpaid and was evaluated as such by the Bengals. I've said the same damn thing since my first post.

The Bengals are terrible at every part of evaluating talent and building a TEAM. Robert Geathers is just a piece of the completely misaligned puzzle. It's not like that's news. Mike Brown and his family have no idea what they are doing.

Gaethers isnt even overpaid

I consider 14 million with bonuses as over paid for his production. But I've derailed this thread enough. Let's just disagree on the great Robert Geathers.

If you look at the DE salaries http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/footb...n.aspx?pos=124 id consider him being paid quite fairly.

The guy cashed 14 million dollars last year. He got paid around 4.5 million for each sack this year. That's reasonable I guess.

He isn't a play maker. His sacks were almost always coverage sacks or dependent on bad Qb/Oline play and game situation. He had 6 sacks in games against Oakland (most sacks allowed in NFL history 2006), Kansas City (Opening day and 7 sacks total against a team breaking in BOTH tackles), and Pittsburgh (2 sacks against Big Ben in which on both plays he held onto the ball way too long and was recovering from bad wreck.)

I remember each game and each sack from Robert Geathers. It isn't surprising to me that Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis failed to look deeper into the situation. It's also not surprising that the average NFL fan looked at 10.5 sacks and automatically considered Robert Geathers a great player worthy of 32 million on any contract. It's the same reason that teams in other sports over pay for players like Juan Pierre and Gary Mathews. Management in professional sports is still ran from a stone age perspective ,IMO. I don't remember ever watching the Bengals in an obvious passing down and thinking they will get pressure with their front four. They never do and that's the main objective for a DE. It's the main reason this team is always so pathetic on that side of the ball.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I vote for Cedric to be the GM of the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Witty signature.

I wish i wasnt such an average fan

Ellis seems like what most mock drafts has us grabbing him, i wouldnt mind it but he is small for NFL DT imo but once again size isnt the only thing to consider.
    If Ellis is the person most mock drafts have the Bengals taking, it only means that he is likely the one the Bengals won't take. Especially since he isn't an RB or DB.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If Ellis is the person most mock drafts have the Bengals taking, it only means that he is likely the one the Bengals won't take. Especially since he isn't an RB or DB.
    excellent point, to be fair though after like the top 10 picks its almost impossible to really predict anything remotely close

Turn Off Ads?