Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 125

Thread: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    What is he supposed to do? This is the NFL. No guaranteed contracts and surely someone like Geathers doesn't have enough years/respect to say anything.

    I refuse to think they would ask a guy with no motivation and a guy who quits on plays and takes plays off to switch positions to fill a large void. It should be noted that the coaching staff thought he was good enough to make the move to begin with.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I refuse to think they would ask a guy with no motivation and a guy who quits on plays and takes plays off to switch positions to fill a large void. It should be noted that the coaching staff thought he was good enough to make the move to begin with.
    Again you are talking about one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL. Frankly I don't care about him taking plays off, he is still vastly over payed. He doesn't command any double teams or respect from opposing coordinators. I've never seen a player get mentioned less than him and make the money he makes. He got paid based on the Bengals FO and their idiocy. They love counting stats such as sacks and they don't have the vision/brains to see past glamour numbers. Geathers notched more than half his sacks that year against teams with terrible offenses/qb's and when the other team was throwing almost every down.

    Does Robert Geathers change another teams game plan? Does Robert Geathers put fear into any team? Does Robert Geathers do anything that makes him irreplaceable? I say no to all and that's why he should be looked at as rotation filler only. Sadly the Bengals see Justin and Geathers as somehow a productive DE tandem. Laughable.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    He might be over payed but then again maybe he isnt. He didnt even get to play this year in his natural position. Talk to me in a season. Lets not fault him for being a team player and not crying about the position switch.

    Let me ask you this, does anyone on the D put fear into any team? Maybe its the problem. Gaethers is fine but the talent level on the D has been poor for years and for him to even manage double digit sacks in a season playing with the talent on that side of the ball is a major accomplishment.

  5. #34
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    He might be over payed but then again maybe he isnt. He didnt even get to play this year in his natural position. Talk to me in a season. Lets not fault him for being a team player and not crying about the position switch.

    Let me ask you this, does anyone on the D put fear into any team? Maybe its the problem. Gaethers is fine but the talent level on the D has been poor for years and for him to even manage double digit sacks in a season playing with the talent on that side of the ball is a major accomplishment.
    I'm not faulting him. It's not his fault the Bengals overpaid for his services based on counting stats that were skewed by easily identifiable factors.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  6. #35
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Again you are talking about one of the worst coaching staffs in the NFL. Frankly I don't care about him taking plays off, he is still vastly over payed. He doesn't command any double teams or respect from opposing coordinators. I've never seen a player get mentioned less than him and make the money he makes. He got paid based on the Bengals FO and their idiocy. They love counting stats such as sacks and they don't have the vision/brains to see past glamour numbers. Geathers notched more than half his sacks that year against teams with terrible offenses/qb's and when the other team was throwing almost every down.

    Does Robert Geathers change another teams game plan? Does Robert Geathers put fear into any team? Does Robert Geathers do anything that makes him irreplaceable? I say no to all and that's why he should be looked at as rotation filler only. Sadly the Bengals see Justin and Geathers as somehow a productive DE tandem. Laughable.
    He's getting PAID like a player that does all those things you mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm not faulting him. It's not his fault the Bengals overpaid for his services based on counting stats that were skewed by easily identifiable factors.
    So no matter what the argument you are going to spin it? Glad i know this now so we can just let the thread die.

  8. #37
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    So no matter what the argument you are going to spin it? Glad i know this now so we can just let the thread die.
    Spin what? The guy is overpaid and was evaluated as such by the Bengals. I've said the same damn thing since my first post.

    The Bengals are terrible at every part of evaluating talent and building a TEAM. Robert Geathers is just a piece of the completely misaligned puzzle. It's not like that's news. Mike Brown and his family have no idea what they are doing.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Gaethers isnt even overpaid

  10. #39
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    I consider 14 million with bonuses as over paid for his production. But I've derailed this thread enough. Let's just disagree on the great Robert Geathers.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    If you look at the DE salaries http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/footb...n.aspx?pos=124 id consider him being paid quite fairly.

  12. #41
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    The guy cashed 14 million dollars last year. He got paid around 4.5 million for each sack this year. That's reasonable I guess.

    He isn't a play maker. His sacks were almost always coverage sacks or dependent on bad Qb/Oline play and game situation. He had 6 sacks in games against Oakland (most sacks allowed in NFL history 2006), Kansas City (Opening day and 7 sacks total against a team breaking in BOTH tackles), and Pittsburgh (2 sacks against Big Ben in which on both plays he held onto the ball way too long and was recovering from bad wreck.)

    I remember each game and each sack from Robert Geathers. It isn't surprising to me that Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis failed to look deeper into the situation. It's also not surprising that the average NFL fan looked at 10.5 sacks and automatically considered Robert Geathers a great player worthy of 32 million on any contract. It's the same reason that teams in other sports over pay for players like Juan Pierre and Gary Mathews. Management in professional sports is still ran from a stone age perspective ,IMO. I don't remember ever watching the Bengals in an obvious passing down and thinking they will get pressure with their front four. They never do and that's the main objective for a DE. It's the main reason this team is always so pathetic on that side of the ball.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  13. #42
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    I vote for Cedric to be the GM of the Cincinnati Bengals.
    Witty signature.

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    I wish i wasnt such an average fan

  15. #44
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Ellis seems like what most mock drafts has us grabbing him, i wouldnt mind it but he is small for NFL DT imo but once again size isnt the only thing to consider.
    If Ellis is the person most mock drafts have the Bengals taking, it only means that he is likely the one the Bengals won't take. Especially since he isn't an RB or DB.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If Ellis is the person most mock drafts have the Bengals taking, it only means that he is likely the one the Bengals won't take. Especially since he isn't an RB or DB.
    excellent point, to be fair though after like the top 10 picks its almost impossible to really predict anything remotely close


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25