Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Yes, the bolded part. Aside from Jones (who I'd only be interested in resigning if he was affordable), I don't understand the sense of urgency to resign any players who have made up the core of the same bottom five defense we've had since they've been here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What part of it, the bolded? I'd like to keep all of them for the right money and roles but I wouldn't wanna pay what Justin and Landon probably want and Dhani and Madieu I can live with or without.

I'd probably re-sign Landon, tag Justin (to see if I could deal him for draftpicks/players/move up in the draft) and draft McFadden if I could get up that far if not stay put and draft Gholston/Ellis. The other 2 I would offer what's deemed fair depending on their roles. I really could care less about Jones coming back, Madieu I still like but not close to how I once did he may need a change of scenery.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Yes, the bolded part. Aside from Jones (who I'd only be interested in resigning if he was affordable), I don't understand the sense of urgency to resign any players who have made up the core of the same bottom five defense we've had since they've been here.

Because that forces the Bengals' to actually have to make an effort to proactively find new/better players, and they don't like to do that. Too much work.

And I don't like to buy their tickets or merchandise any longer...too much $ and effort. So I don't.

I don't think Zimmer will make any difference. Players make coaches. Coaches don't make players.

Lebeau left Cinci, went back to Pittsburgh, and resumed being a defensive genius. Players. Bresnahan was genius at Oakland. Players. Leslie Frazier had a #10 defense. Players.

Get some players and most any competent defensive NFL coach will look good. The Bengals continue to think they have good defensive players. They don't.

Pay attention to the open sky

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If Ellis is the person most mock drafts have the Bengals taking, it only means that he is likely the one the Bengals won't take. Especially since he isn't an RB or DB.
    They took Leon Hall last year and everybody was predicting the Bengals would take him.

If we are switching to a 3-4 defense, taking Ellis would be a mistake for the same reason the Dolphins shouldn't take Dorsey. 3-4 defenses usually require a Sam Adams type in the middle. Both of these guys would be great in a 4-3.

I am personally hoping for Keith Rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Get some players and most any competent defensive NFL coach will look good. The Bengals continue to think they have good defensive players. They don't.
    Per Mike Brown, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The Patriots, Steelers, Colts, et al. attempt to succeed by signing good football players and surrounding them with the best coaching minds available. The Bengals take a different approach. No approach is more valid than the other, as the results attest. As Mike says, the Bengals are quite efficient and have done very well.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Per Mike Brown, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The Patriots, Steelers, Colts, et al. attempt to succeed by signing good football players and surrounding them with the best coaching minds available. The Bengals take a different approach. No approach is more valid than the other, as the results attest. As Mike says, the Bengals are quite efficient and have done very well.
    That is it in a nutshell.

Mike Brown would have you believe that the process they have in place that hasn't yielded a playoff win in 17 years is just fine. They have had bad luck with injuries, things didn't work out how they expected, etc.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    That is it in a nutshell.

Mike Brown would have you believe that the process they have in place that hasn't yielded a playoff win in 17 years is just fine. They have had bad luck with injuries, things didn't work out how they expected, etc.

GL
    Yep, and people keep coming in droves to see his wonderful product, so he is not incentivized to change anything.

Stop going to games and buying merchandise, and you'll see more changes like hiring a HC from outside the "Family."

Until then it'll be more of the same old, same old.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Stop going to games and buying merchandise, and you'll see more changes like hiring a HC from outside the "Family."

Until then it'll be more of the same old, same old.
    That's not going to do it either, unless you can somehow convince everyone in the city, including corporations who purchase the bulk of the boxes and club seats for entertainment purposes, to join in a boycott.

This is one of those situations that's never going to change until the Browns change their ways or sell the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    That's not going to do it either, unless you can somehow convince everyone in the city, including corporations who purchase the bulk of the boxes and club seats for entertainment purposes, to join in a boycott.

This is one of those situations that's never going to change until the Browns change their ways or sell the team.
    I think scenario #1 would likely result in the L.A. Bengals. Scenario #2 is your better bet. It may take a while, but I suspect that the way it will come down is that Mike Brown will pass on, leaving the team to the kids. Unless Mike is paying them huge salaries now, they may not have the wherewithal to continue operating the club without bringing in outside help. Maybe then a new investor will come in and demand some say in the football operations, breaking the hold of the Brown family over the team.

Otherwise our best hope is that Katie Blackburn has more of a drive to win football games than her dad.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They took Leon Hall last year and everybody was predicting the Bengals would take him.

If we are switching to a 3-4 defense, taking Ellis would be a mistake for the same reason the Dolphins shouldn't take Dorsey. 3-4 defenses usually require a Sam Adams type in the middle. Both of these guys would be great in a 4-3.

I am personally hoping for Keith Rivers.
    Actually most had them taking a DB but I don't believe that it was Hall. I think it was Revis but Hall slipped to them and he was the #1 DB on their board.

I think scenario #1 would likely result in the L.A. Bengals. Scenario #2 is your better bet. It may take a while, but I suspect that the way it will come down is that Mike Brown will pass on, leaving the team to the kids. Unless Mike is paying them huge salaries now, they may not have the wherewithal to continue operating the club without bringing in outside help. Maybe then a new investor will come in and demand some say in the football operations, breaking the hold of the Brown family over the team.

Otherwise our best hope is that Katie Blackburn has more of a drive to win football games than her dad.
    I couldn't agree more with your assessment.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The Bengals' are land-locked here with the stadium deal and can't move - he would simply lose money - it's why he hired Marvin - to appease what was at the time, a significant hit to his profits as the stadium was, literally, half full and the public outcry was unbearable for even him.

So, I say more of that, less #85 jersies and season ticket renewals. Then again I never understand what was so fun about going to an NFL game. You're basically just paying out the rear to be a TV prop in a sardine can and watch drunk necks fight each other over a stupid football game.

And yes I can only hope Katie/Troy/Paul Jr. care more about winning games than he does, when he departs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The Bengals' are land-locked here with the stadium deal and can't move - he would simply lose money - it's why he hired Marvin - to appease what was at the time, a significant hit to his profits as the stadium was, literally, half full and the public outcry was unbearable for even him.

So, I say more of that, less #85 jersies and season ticket renewals. Then again I never understand what was so fun about going to an NFL game. You're basically just paying out the rear to be a TV prop in a sardine can and watch drunk necks fight each other over a stupid football game.

And yes I can only hope Katie/Troy/Paul Jr. care more about winning games than he does, when he departs.
    Never say "can't" when it comes to leases and contracts. There is always a way out. I suspect there's some clause in the lease that allows the team to opt out if Hamilton County can't guarantee a certain attendance level.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Isn't Pete Brown still around too? Might as well drag him into all that is wrong with the Bengals because they hired a D coordinator that most probably know very little about, since most of the comments have been about Bengals' history than about this hire.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    3-4 defenses usually require a Sam Adams type in the middle.
    I get your point, but I can't recall any 3-4 defenses that Sam Adams ever played on...or at least when he was still a productive player.

Turn Off Ads?