Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Re: Mike Zimmer hired by Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the Bengals should pretty much go on the assumption that Pollack and Thurman will never play for them again. If one of them makes it back, it's a bonus. Just don't neglect to pick up some help at LB just because you think one of these guys might be able to join the team next year.
    Spot on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    At any rate, I sure hope Zimmer brings some sort of How to Tackle for Dummies book with him. The Bengals' tackling, from an angle of pursuit and technique standpoint, looked worse to me than when I watched St. X. I'm not exaggerating either.
    Heard this on the news last night and it's quoted in the bengals.com article on Zimmer. Hope its true...

"He's a stickler for the technique of things and I think that's important. You have to build that from the ground up," Lewis said. "It comes down to a simple thing and that's ultimately what we're looking to fix and change. To get our guys to consistently play well together technically sound and do it right."

Mike Zimmer sounds like a coach's son.

"I'm big on technique," he said. "I want to make sure guys do the things we're asking to do to do it right. Play hard all the time. Hands in the right place. Feet in the right place. I think in pro football a lot guys get to the point where they worry so much about who you're playing or the scheme, your technique goes bad. Especially late in the year. Typically I'm a little bit of a hollerer and screamer."
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Heard this on the news last night and it's quoted in the bengals.com article on Zimmer. Hope its true...
    I didn't see that, thanks for posting.

From what I can tell, this seems to be a pretty good hire by the Bengals. Let's just hope for a solid defensive draft, and a little more luck with LBers and injuries, and <gasp!> things just might be looking up for the Black and Orange.

I think at least 5 of the 7 picks should be on the defensive side of the ball. Perhaps a couple O-linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think at least 5 of the 7 picks should be on the defensive side of the ball. Perhaps a couple O-linemen.
    I don't trust any of the picks. Basically it's another point in time where I have no confidence/hope for the Bengals. If they somehow make up for three years of bad decisions I will love it. Just not counting on it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I agree with you, Cedric.

3 years of bad picks? That could be seen as a little harsh considering pretty much all the good picks ended up getting injured.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think we're actually getting a couple extra picks due to FA losses. One positive to losing Steinbach is that he should easily net us a supplemental 3rd round pick by himself. Factor in any production from Kaesvaharn (sp?), Tony Stewart and any other FAs that left last offseason, and we might be looking at 9 or 10 total.

Perhaps we can package a few of them and move up in the draft? I think it'd be easier to get that dominant NT or pass rushing end drafting somewhere from the top 5 as opposed to 9th overall.

At any rate, this could potentially be a huge draft for the Bengals. A creative move or three - or drafting wisely from their current position - could really help them close the gap between their offense's talent and the defense's.

If I had to do a mock of the Bengals entire draft(how I want it):

1:Keith Rivers(LB-USC)
    2:Frank Okam(DT-Texas)
    3:Curtis Lofton(LB-Oklahoma)
    4:Jason Jones(DE-Eastern Michigan)
    5:Craig Stelz(SS-LSU)
    6:Jacob Tamme(TE-Kentucky)
    7: Darius Reynaud(WR-West Virginia)*kickoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

All I know is they better draft a LB, DE, or a DT in the 1st round or im going to cry

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    3 years of bad picks? That could be seen as a little harsh considering pretty much all the good picks ended up getting injured.
    Actually his whole draft history has been bad. I wrote a long thread a LONG while back. Maybe I can pull it out and see where you disagree or agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Actually his whole draft history has been bad. I wrote a long thread a LONG while back. Maybe I can pull it out and see where you disagree or agree.
    Should compare it to other NFL teams

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Should compare it to other NFL teams
    The Steelers come to mind. Athough it's more of a product of a great, tight run organization. Everybody who gets drafted (or FA pickups) has a certain amount of talent. It's really up to the organization to pick the guys who "get it" and maximize that talent.

Bengals have a pretty sad history in this area.
    Witty signature.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

A pretty interesting post on one of the Bengal boards asks posters to pick the 7 defensive players you keep around for 2008.

My list (in no particular order):

Joseph
    Hall
    Geathers
    Peko
    Brooks
    Ndukwe
    White

As for the upcoming draft and FA period, they appear to be set in the secondary with the only decisions being whether to re-sign M. Williams or cut O'Neal and D. Jackson. Personally, I'd like to see M. Williams back (over D. Jackson) as he is younger and would provide nice depth with the youngsters White and Ndukwe. I think O'Neal is probably done and Hall and Joseph from a pretty nice tandem of CB's for the future.

The front 7 is a major priority and I think if they don't address it in FA, they better take all first day picks here. Peko is a good foundation inside and the DT from USC would be a great compliment. On the outside, assuming J. Smith is gone, Gholston would be nice, but I'd rather they concentrate DT in the first round. I think Geathers is solid and Fanene should be re-signed. Hopefully Rucker steps up in 2008, but you have to address the DE position early in the draft. I wouldnt mind seeing DT/DE in the first two rounds. If Gholston is the best player available with the pick in the 1st, take him and get yourself the best DT in the 2nd.

As for LB's. I think they should re-sign Landon Johnson and Jeanty. If Brooks can stay healthy he will be a big upgrade. I think if the line can go from a weakness to a strength, the LB's can follow. Obviously if you can get a top LB in FA or day one of the draft, you pull the trigger.

All in all I really feel the D will be much improved in 2008 (as it couldn't get much worse). I wouldn't be surprised to see it move up to middle of the pack and with the offense in place and a little luck (they're due), that may be good enough to win 10-12 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    A pretty interesting post on one of the Bengal boards asks posters to pick the 7 defensive players you keep around for 2008.

My list (in no particular order):

Joseph
    Hall
    Geathers
    Peko
    Brooks
    Ndukwe
    White

As for the upcoming draft and FA period, they appear to be set in the secondary with the only decisions being whether to re-sign M. Williams or cut O'Neal and D. Jackson. Personally, I'd like to see M. Williams back (over D. Jackson) as he is younger and would provide nice depth with the youngsters White and Ndukwe. I think O'Neal is probably done and Hall and Joseph from a pretty nice tandem of CB's for the future.

The front 7 is a major priority and I think if they don't address it in FA, they better take all first day picks here. Peko is a good foundation inside and the DT from USC would be a great compliment. On the outside, assuming J. Smith is gone, Gholston would be nice, but I'd rather they concentrate DT in the first round. I think Geathers is solid and Fanene should be re-signed. Hopefully Rucker steps up in 2008, but you have to address the DE position early in the draft. I wouldnt mind seeing DT/DE in the first two rounds. If Gholston is the best player available with the pick in the 1st, take him and get yourself the best DT in the 2nd.

As for LB's. I think they should re-sign Landon Johnson and Jeanty. If Brooks can stay healthy he will be a big upgrade. I think if the line can go from a weakness to a strength, the LB's can follow. Obviously if you can get a top LB in FA or day one of the draft, you pull the trigger.

All in all I really feel the D will be much improved in 2008 (as it couldn't get much worse). I wouldn't be surprised to see it move up to middle of the pack and with the offense in place and a little luck (they're due), that may be good enough to win 10-12 games.

Ndukwe and White would be the worst tandem in the NFL. Possibly in NFL history, no hyperbole. White has zero instincts and Ndukwe is just too slow and soft.

The Bengals should focus entirely on the middle of their defense and somehow getting a playmaker on the outside. It's a big task and something I don't expect Marvin to get right, or even figure out. I have little faith in this staff.

Answering the original question though:

Madieu
    Brooks
    Joseph
    Johnson
    Fanene

Then whoever else you can scrap together. Leon Hall is just abysmall but with his contract we are stuck. I was hoping he could be covered up with mostly cover 1/2 packages but that isn't Mike Zimmers style. He plays aggresive bump and run and that will lead to the demise of Leon Hall. It's not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by Cedric; 01-23-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Turn Off Ads?