Turn Off Ads?

Thread: You've got to love Adam Dunn....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You've got to love Adam Dunn....

Per Hal's blog...
    WHEN KEARNS leaves the stadium today, a surprise awaits him - not one he will welcome. When he drove to the park Friday, Kearns thought it would be funny to park in Adam Dunn’s personal spot in the garage. So he parked it and locked it.
    Then Dunn arrived and saw Kearns in his spot. What did he do? What any red-blooded male would do when somebody takes his parking spot. Parking rage.
    Dunn deflated all four tires and slabbed peanut butter under all four door handles. “He thought it was pretty funny to take my parking spot,” said Dunn. “Let’s see how funny it is when he wants to leave in a hurry after the game.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You've got to love Adam Dunn....

Haha wow. I can understand the peanut butter part but deflating the tires might be a little too much.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Lots of good stuff in his blog today. Canadian hat on the 4th of July. Brandon Larson update. Even some stuff on the Weathers' trade rumors.

I think it's funny that Dunn assumed Kearns would want to leave in a hurry after the game. How is it that Kearns beat Dunn to the stadium too?

Shouldn't Dunn be taking infield practice or something?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it's funny that Dunn assumed Kearns would want to leave in a hurry after the game. How is it that Kearns beat Dunn to the stadium too?

Shouldn't Dunn be taking infield practice or something?
    I'm probably guessing that is more to do with Kearns arriving earlier than normal to beat Dunn to the park....amazing that people nitpick Dunn for literally everything

Quote Originally Posted by MasonBuzz3 View Post
    I'm probably guessing that is more to do with Kearns arriving earlier than normal to beat Dunn to the park....amazing that people nitpick Dunn for literally everything
    There is nothin' amazing about pointing out the most obvious and glaring part of the "joke" given the recent national attention Dunn's "passion for the game" recieved and his equally national response....

Maybe a GM in Toronto doesn't know him but it looks like such a GM could've pulled the same joke on him as one of Dunn's intimate friends.

Sometimes we think we're working harder than we might be at times....Just sayin'......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is nothin' amazing about pointing out the most obvious and glaring part of the "joke" given the recent national attention Dunn's "passion for the game" recieved and his equally national response....

Maybe a GM in Toronto doesn't know him but it looks like such a GM could've pulled the same joke on him as one of Dunn's intimate friends.

Sometimes we think we're working harder than we might be at times....Just sayin'......
    How many Redszoner's that have to be at work by 8 a.m. are there by 6? And if you aren't there until 8, I guess you have no passion for your job?
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 07-05-2008 at 08:55 AM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    How many Redszoner's that have to be at work by 8 a.m. are there by 6? And if you aren't there until 8, I guess you have no passion for your job?
    If Dunn slept at the ballpark, some would say he was too lazy to go home.
    sorry we're boring

I'm not a Dunn basher and it's way too easy to see how this story plays into the apparent prevailing view of Dunn by those outside of Cincy....

I kinda fall in the middle on AD. I appreciate numbers like his OBP, runs scored, RBIs, etc. I think that his natural style is laid back and he cares more about winning than he shows.

I agree that he has been mis-used in the lineup by several managers and should have batted in the top three or four all along. I also wonder where they expect to find the offense to replace his numbers if they let him walk deal him for lesser talent. I still support the Hamilton/Volquez deal, but would have been more leery of it had I known they weren't gonna retain Dunn (I thought that deal meant re-upping him was a foregone conclusion).

Having said all that, I don't think AD is above criticism. He is not the most passionate or driven player in the game. Watching him round third the other night against Cleveland (when he collided with Soppach) was the very definition of "lumbering".

Now I don't expect any sprinting championships out of him, but frankly, I saw an out of shape ballplayer (not that this was a complete revelation, but that shot really brought it home).

Does this totally cancel out the good points above or the contributions he has made to this franchise? Of course not. But it illustrates why there seems to be so little interest in him from other clubs and why he hasn't been offered a new deal.

I don't expect everyone to be a gung-ho rah-rah type, but for the kind of money and priviledge Dunn has received and especially the kind it will take to keep him in town, I think a club can and should expect maximum effort and preparation both on the field and in the offseason.

I have no imperical data to show that losing 20 pounds, spending 20% more effort in preparation or spending an extra 20 mins. in the batting cage or a more structured/dilligent workout regiment in the offseason would result in 20 more RBIs a season, 20 points on his BA, 20% fewer strikeouts a season or even a few steps on a ball in the OF, but I'd sure like to find out if I'm gonna give him $18M or more a year to return.

I think the TOR GM's remarks were pretty stupid for a public forum, but I also believe it was a rare glimpse into the "book" on Dunn and why there is so little interest in acquiring him in a trade.

I think Dunn was handed superstar status a few years ago by Reds mangement and he hasnt been pushed like he should have been. I'm also of the opinion that there was a point a couple of years ago when he should have been dealt for maximum return, but he wasn't. Both were opportunitiies lost and fall squarely on the collective shoulders of the club's ever-(r)evolving management.

They now find themselves with an untennable choice. Offering a mega-contract to an OF who does not keep himself in the best of shape, but has a body-type that will not age gracefully (on already troublesome knees) - one who should really be a 1Bman, but balks at the prospect and doesn't show much in the way of leadership or the kind of effort it tkes to mitigate the effects of age.

(OR)

Deal him for an average position player or a prospect (suspect?) or two or let him walk in exchange for a couple of draft picks who (by the percentages) at best will be several years from helping the team or (more likely) will never see the majors.

I don't hate Dunn or expect him to change - he is what he is and despite the last few graphs, I'm not opposed to re-signing him to a 2 or three yr. deal with an option (with provisions that he try a move to 1B and any no-trade clause is very limited in scope). I blame Reds management for the current predicament. But I also don't believe in looking at Dunn's numbers, proclaiming him some sort of "Saber-god" and rolling my eyes whenever someone dares to criticize him and blowing it off as rantings of the clueless.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out though.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-05-2008 at 12:21 PM.

That's a very even-handed view of Dunn, cb. Excellent post.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I was getting ready to post the same thing. Excellent post Corked. I'm of the opinion that the 13+ million contract is a killer for the Reds, so I would either move him this year if the return is nice or offer him arb and take the picks. I would not go for an extension unless there was a significant discount. (like 8 million)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Exactly! I have no passion for my job. Of course, I think that's why they call it work. I don't play a game for a living.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

My guess is that if Dunn is traded he'll "all of a sudden" find passion with his other team and perform well into his thirties.

Sometimes caring about your job means moving to an atmosphere where others really care about the bottom line. Some lead; some are meant to be led. Dunn's probably the latter, but it doesn't mean he can't or won't contribute like crazy with enough incentive. I know I've worked harder in more invigorating and competitive environments in the past.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess is that if Dunn is traded he'll "all of a sudden" find passion with his other team and perform well into his thirties.

Sometimes caring about your job means moving to an atmosphere where others really care about the bottom line. Some lead; some are meant to be led. Dunn's probably the latter, but it doesn't mean he can't or won't contribute like crazy with enough incentive. I know I've worked harder in more invigorating and competitive environments in the past.
    Are you suggesting he sign with the Patriots?

Turn Off Ads?