Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Sign Jon Lieber

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Cubs Sign Jon Lieber

MLBTradeRumors.com -

UPDATE, 1-16-08 at 10:45am: Rosenthal confirms the signing; it's a one-year deal. He says Lieber won't have to fight for a rotation spot. That might mean Jason Marquis is headed out of town or Ryan Dempster back to the 'pen (I suppose Dempster could be dealt instead). I guess Sean Marshall is the sixth man if he's not traded.

FROM 1-16-08 at 10:14am:

According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs "appear close to signing veteran right-hander Jon Lieber." Sullivan says Lieber would compete for the team's fifth starter job. Bruce Levine called this rumor earlier this month.

Lieber had some solid years for the Cubs, winning 20 games in '01. He had surgery in July of '07 for a ruptured tendon in his foot, missing the rest of the season. He'll be 38 in April.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs Sign Jon Lieber

Not a bad signing. Especially for one year. (As opposed to 4 years of Lohse).
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Maybe we can make a play for Sean Marshall now, who seems to be out of their rotation plans.

Ryan Freel+Drew Stubbs for Marshall? Probably a pipe dream, but I wonder what it would take.
    Go BLUE!!!

This could be a great deal for the Cubs, considering it is for only a year.

This would have, IMO, been a great fit for the Reds, but it's a moot point now.

O well...

much prefer Capuano or Bush from Milwaukee. Too bad they are in the same division.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    much prefer Capuano or Bush from Milwaukee. Too bad they are in the same division.
    I agree that Capuano would be a good pickup, but, like you, I don't see it happening.

I would take Marshall. Though I don't think 2 speedy CF'ers (Freel and Stubbs) is what the Cubs need. I would like to see a move for him if possible.

Cubs are being quite aggressive in making themselves a good team and now. Clearly becoming the number one team in the division. After last year's big off-season they are now filling in the gaps very well, the lefty hitting outfielder they signed, now Lieber a veteran to fill out the rotation, re-signing Wood.

It's going to be very hard for the Reds to compete with the Cubs this year unless injuries or unexpected performances intervene. In particular, even with the addition of Cordero, the Reds will need much stronger pitching to compete with the group the Cubs will put out there, Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Lieber, the others.

If Reds really want to compete for the division crown this year, they need to upgrade. Otherwise, even if the Reds improve this year, their ceiling will be wild card competition.

I think the price for Marshall would be much higher than some are anticipating...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cubs are being quite aggressive in making themselves a good team and now. Clearly becoming the number one team in the division. After last year's big off-season they are now filling in the gaps very well, the lefty hitting outfielder they signed, now Lieber a veteran to fill out the rotation, re-signing Wood.

It's going to be very hard for the Reds to compete with the Cubs this year unless injuries or unexpected performances intervene. In particular, even with the addition of Cordero, the Reds will need much stronger pitching to compete with the group the Cubs will put out there, Zambrano, Lilly, Hill, Lieber, the others.

If Reds really want to compete for the division crown this year, they need to upgrade. Otherwise, even if the Reds improve this year, their ceiling will be wild card competition.
    I don't agree that the resigning and signing of Wood and Lieber are moves to put a team over the top. They are moves that a team with plenty of payroll can make, but the core of the team is basically unchanged from the one that hovered around .500 for most of last year. Both Wood and Lieber are highly questionable with respect to durability and are as likely to make no or a negative impact as they are to be a help. With Lieber, I am glad he is not the Reds back-end pickup, he can spin a good one every once in awhile, but mostly is dreck these days.

I imagine the Cubs will be very good in '08, then lose in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-16-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't agree that the resigning and signing of Wood and Lieber are moves to put a team over the top. They are moves that a team with plenty of payroll can make, but the core of the team is basically unchanged from the one that hovered around .500 for most of last year. Both Wood and Lieber are highly questionable with respect to durability and are as likely to make no or a negative impact as they are to be a help. With Lieber, I am glad he is not the Reds back-end pickup, he can spin a good one every once in awhile, but mostly is dreck these days.
    The good one's you speak of are mostly against the Reds, 11 wins total for Lieber while holding us to a .253 average.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

I respectfully disagree. This is a team that last year went for the big stuff, the starting pitcher, Soriano, spent a lot of bucks. Now they are wisely filling in the missing pieces, a needed lefty bat, back-end of rotation guys, extra arms for depth (in the case of Wood, a high-risk and very high-reward guy).

This is how you try to win and, sooner or later, it will click and the Cubs will have a very big year. Maybe this year, maybe next, but soon.

Obviously the Cubs have a financial advantage, but I find their aggressiveness refreshing. I'm just not one to bank on pitching improving because "luck" may change and the other straws that people sometimes grasp at here.

Leiber signing for one year is huge... if he could be had for 1 yr... makes me wonder why the Reds didn't snatch him up?

Still have bigger plans? Content to stand pat?

Leiber's signing starts the chips to fall, IMO. Colon and Livan are probably the best of the worst left in the FA market.... let's see how it all plays out.. **crosses fingers**

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Leiber signing for one year is huge... if he could be had for 1 yr... makes me wonder why the Reds didn't snatch him up?
    Lieber's history in Chicago may have had something to do with it. I want to see how much the contract was for as well. The Reds may not have had much of a chance.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?