Turn Off Ads?

Thread: External Hard Drives

External Hard Drives

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I don't know anything about them. I just received about 20 quatrillion family photos and I want to put them on a separate drive, along with some music, and maybe back up my system. I'm pretty uninformed on these matters. I am looking for something around 200 GB, but open to modifying that. Once I finished my project, I wouldn't use it that often. Any advice on brands or anything?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: External Hard Drives

I have a couple of Seagate external drives and they work very well. Just plug it in to a USB port and you're ready to go. It'll show up as another drive into which you can drag and drop files.

The Seagate FreeAgent drives can be found at pretty reasonable prices.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Personally, I like the Firewire bus-powered drives. They are more expensive but, if you have a firewire port, they are unintrusive and reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartDisk-USBF...0578612&sr=8-1

However, IN YOUR CASE...find an old ATA drive you may have hanging around, put it in an enclosure (cost maybe $20)...work your project and put it away.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I have a couple of Seagate external drives and they work very well. Just plug it in to a USB port and you're ready to go. It'll show up as another drive into which you can drag and drop files.

The Seagate FreeAgent drives can be found at pretty reasonable prices.
    I'll second that on the Seagate. A few months back, I got a 320G Seagate Free Agent from Frys.com. It came with a 5 year warranty. Very easy to use.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Iomega was recommended to me a couple of years ago. I have two and have had no problems with either. I keep one plugged in at all times just to house my music collection, which is also backed up on the other that I keep in a safe.

Third on Seagate. I got a 300 gig off eBay this summer at a ridiculous price (meaning low). I have all of my games stored on it, and run said games off it - it runs like a dream.
    It's use is quite easy, as well. I have two systems - one internet ready, the other game ready. The game ready does not touch the internet, so I plug the external HD in between systems when I am downloading. It is basically as easy as plugging in a pair of earphones, and moving files onto it is just like moving files onto a regular hard drive.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I have two Lacie External HD (the Porsche Design style) that are excellent - both hooked up via USB. I keep all my music, videos and movies on one (the 200GB), and use the other to back everything up (the 500GB).

I have a 300 GB acomdata drive that plugs into my USB port.

works great.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I swap a lot of drive and have always liked these.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Let me suggest a website for you if you don't already know it. tigerdirect.com

It is a wonderful website for computer componets and they even have great prices on HDTVs with really reasonable shipping rates. My boss showed me this site and I visit it every day to see what kind of deals they are running. I got an internal seagate barracuda 500GB HD for $99.99. Everything I have ordered from them got here in 2-3 days and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

I also just rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard and case and only spent around $200.

I can't forget my favorite toy of them all....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=X529-1002

Sorry, I'll quit now, but you get my point.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 01-18-2008 at 11:39 AM.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

I'd look at www.slickdeals.net Go to the forum, do a search for external hard drive, and see what you get. You'll find the best prices through that site.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?