Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Shelton anyone??

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Chris Shelton anyone??

Shelton was DFA'd by Texas yesterday.

In case Hatte gets traded soon or Votto has a horrible ST, Chris Shelton could be the RH 1B the Reds are looking for. Although I am not opposed to Keppinger getting the AB's I have always liked Shelton's Power. Just a thought.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Shelton anyone??

I like the idea. Besides RH power, Shelton also could serve as an emergency backup catcher, giving us the flexibility to use Valentin more often as a pinch hitter.

I think Shelton would be a fine addition to the bench. I'd prefer Ensberg, but I doubt he'd accept a bench role unless he had no better options.

Also note Shelton's career minor league OBP - .412. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think Shelton would be a fine addition to the bench. I'd prefer Ensberg, but I doubt he'd accept a bench role unless he had no better options.

Also note Shelton's career minor league OBP - .412. Nice!
    Shelton is on the cheap too. Since strikeouts do not seem to matter around here I can overlook his 1K every 4 AB's. I love to pull for the Chris Shelton type players. Can't explain it.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I do to.. I thought when Detroit signed Casey.. and they sent Shelton down after a hot start to the 2006 season I was hoping to get him them. Small gamble.. potential big reward..

Take away Shelton's hot start to the 06 season and what do you have? I mean he lit the league on fire in the first month or so of 06 and then hasn't been heard of from since. The only way I bring him in here is if it is a minor league deal.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Shelton is here, he's taking the place of Hatteberg, Keppinger or Votto.

No thanks.

Shelton won't catch can't play the OF and is a tweener IMO, pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Take away Shelton's hot start to the 06 season and what do you have? I mean he lit the league on fire in the first month or so of 06 and then hasn't been heard of from since. The only way I bring him in here is if it is a minor league deal.
    I'm okay with a Minor League deal. Since he was DFA'd I am not sure if that will happen. Low Risk High Reward transaction if you ask me.

The funny thing about taking away something good that happened to a player in a season is that you are taking away something that actually happened. If you are going to play the take away game, take away his worst month and what do you get? Same difference, it's just how you choose to view the player.

Not singling you out Buck but I hear people on the board all the time saying 'well if you take away this stat or this month, plus this OBP then you get X,Y,Z'. Why? It all happened. Why would you take it away? Why manipulate reality unless you are trying to create fantasy?
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shelton won't catch can't play the OF and is a tweener IMO, pass.
    I can't imagine him catching or playing the OF either. I'd let Freel catch before Shelton.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Trade Hatteberg, sign Shelton. Instant increase in roster efficiency.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I'm okay with a Minor League deal. Since he was DFA'd I am not sure if that will happen. Low Risk High Reward transaction if you ask me.

The funny thing about taking away something good that happened to a player in a season is that you are taking away something that actually happened. If you are going to play the take away game, take away his worst month and what do you get? Same difference, it's just how you choose to view the player.

Not singling you out Buck but I hear people on the board all the time saying 'well if you take away this stat or this month, plus this OBP then you get X,Y,Z'. Why? It all happened. Why would you take it away? Why manipulate reality unless you are trying to create fantasy?
    I agree with you. You can't discount that he has shown the ability to go nuts for a month or two. He has shown he has the ability but can he maintain that ability? Can he make the necessary adjustments? The big question for me is can he sustain that ability and since he didn't play in the majors during the 07 season I would lean towards no.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Trade Hatteberg, sign Shelton. Instant increase in roster efficiency.
    Roster efficency increases, but at the expense of roster productivity.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Roster efficency increases, but at the expense of roster productivity.

No thanks.
    Except it's not. We have two left handed 1B who don't have value anywhere else (you want Votto in LF and Dunn on the bench?) and struggle versus lefties. Votto either starts versus righties or should be in AAA.

Hatteberg vL: .237/.329/.344 ('07, .205/.244/.333)
    Shelton vL: .273/.340/.466 ('06, .276/.377/.429)

Which guy do you want up versus a lefty? The only value Hatteberg provides is veteran leadership and a decent bat off the bench versus a tough righty. Unfortunately, this is a lefty heavy lineup as is and Keppinger is the primary backup at 3B/SS/2B already. Having a righty 1B with a little pop and decent OBP skills is an improvement over Hatteberg, who doesn't have much of a role left.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Can he pitch?

Turn Off Ads?