Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Researching Bartolo

Researching Bartolo

I thought Bartolo might be a smart gamble but now I'm convinced it would be smarter to just walk away. After reading various things on the board -like he wasn't hitting 87, and then reading that he was hitting the 90s, etc etc. I decided to let Google do the research and I read every page on Colon dated Dec 1 2007 or later. Mind you I went through 4 Google pages of results and did some Spanish translations from Impacto Deportiva (the Google translator slaughters the syntax) using verrry rusty skills.

Point 1 - Colon has missed two starts in the DR but it wasn't stated whether it was arm problems. The Nats, Chisox, Royals, Pirates, Phils, D-Backs, Rangers, Mariners, & Cards are reported to have scouts watching him pitch.

Point 2 - The Mets have backed off him - citing concerns with his arm

Point 3 -Not only has he had rotator cuff surgery, but last year he had back problems and elbow pain and triceps tendinitis. That's quite a roster of ailments for a 35 year old (in May).

Point 4 - The Nationals lost interest when Colon told them he was NOT interested in a one year deal or an incentive deal. Uhhh...has his agent told him to check his stat lines the last 2 years?

Point 5 - The site US Mariner makes a case for Colon being the sleeper of FA of 08 but they make no mention of health risks and claim he was hitting 94 mph in September. Which brings up

Point 6 - Impacto Deportiva reports Colon is probably not healthy and is not hitting 90 yet. Then they say he may just be taking it easy. Which sounds fishy for a guy hunting a multi year deal with scouts watching and even Ozzie Guillen went to the DR. Oh yeah. That game? Colon pitched 5 innings, fanned 2 gave up 6 hits and 3 runs. Of course he was just saving his arm since he didn't hit 90...again. Afterwards Impacto D. reports that the Royals are now the most interested suitor.

Summing up - Colon has pitched a lot of innings and that -and age - caught up with him. He has had back-elbow-tricep and shoulder problems -all in the last 2 years. If indeed he was hitting 94 in September (and he did show a sharp improvement in his numbers that month) he sure isn't doing that now. Add the age and health to his ludicrous demand for a multi year deal and I'm outta here. Oh, not to mention the number the USSMariner reported (which was probably conjecture on their part) was 9 million per year. All of which may be why I did not find a single reference connecting the Reds to interest in Colon.
    Thankfully.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-17-2008 at 07:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Re: Researching Bartolo

Thanks for doing the research RJ. FWIW, here are a few projection models on BC:

Bill James: 70 IP, 4-4, 4.24 ERA, 6.56 K/9, 2.83 BB/9, 2.32 K/BB, 1.29 HR/9, 4.63 FIP.

CHONE: 126 IP, (no W-L projection), 4.36 ERA, 6.21 K/9, 2.64 BB/9, 2.35 K/BB, 1.14 HR/9, 4.47 FIP

Marcel: 114 IP, 7-7, 5.05 ERA, 6.47 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 2.48 K/BB, 1.18 HR/9, 4.45 FIP

All these aside, the fact that he wants a multi-year deal with his recent history of health concerns makes him very unattractive. I'd pass.

Re: Researching Bartolo

Signing veteran presence starting pitching should be akin to buying stocks. Past performance may not indicate future results. That sign should be on Mr. Krivsky's desk everytime he scans the scrap heap......errrrr.....free agent pitching list.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?