Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Warner Trying Usage Based Pricing For Broadband Service

Re: Time Warner Trying Usage Based Pricing For Broadband Service

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think the hidden agenda for TW is that they are scared to death of people watching streaming TV over the internet and gutting their cable TV business. Think the record/CD industry and Napster.

I very seriously doubt this extra bandwidth is straining their infrastructure and costs.
    I think you are 100% on to something.

The first thing I thought when reading this thread was how much a network like ABC hawks being able to watch Lost episodes on demand and such, so there has to be some merit to that theory that they are trying to make up for lost revenue from traditional cable TV watching.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think you are 100% on to something.

The first thing I thought when reading this thread was how much a network like ABC hawks being able to watch Lost episodes on demand and such, so there has to be some merit to that theory that they are trying to make up for lost revenue from traditional cable TV watching.
    The wife and I cut the cable TV cord. We now just watch streams of our favorite programs via the internet. We do pay TWC for high-speed internet though.

One thing I've learned in the technology business is that you don't wait around for your competition to render your products obsolete, *you* do it yourself by realizing its limitations and drawbacks and getting the next generation of improved and better product out before *they* do.

If my theory (and its not mine, I read it at a NYT blog) is true, TW is cutting their own throats by charging more for an existing product for no apparent reason (at least a good one), clinging to a possibly declining product, and making their customers mad by doing so. A fast track to nowhere.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

One thing I've learned in the technology business is that you don't wait around for your competition to render your products obsolete, *you* do it yourself by realizing its limitations and drawbacks and getting the next generation of improved and better product out before *they* do.

If my theory (and its not mine, I read it at a NYT blog) is true, TW is cutting their own throats by charging more for an existing product for no apparent reason (at least a good one), clinging to a possibly declining product, and making their customers mad by doing so. A fast track to nowhere.

I agree. No one is going to be sympathetic to the TW argument. If 5% of the people are sucking up all of their resources, change the pricing model to remove the 5%. Don't tell me you need to change the entire thing.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

5% of the customers use up 50% of the service

Sounds like they are making a lot of money off the 95% of people who dont use the service fully to me.

I think the hidden agenda for TW is that they are scared to death of people watching streaming TV over the internet and gutting their cable TV business. Think the record/CD industry and Napster.
    Roy is wise, how long before they start monitoring everything you download and stopping anything that comes from any legal download site because you are hurting their core business?

Hi TW, I was downloading this tv show LEGALLY from iTunes and my download times out repeadly..what's the story?

Well can't help you, you can however catch that show on our digital cable Tuesdays at 8.

Go Gators!

On the brink of disaster

Think Itunes, Napster, Vongo, Blockbuster, Netflix.... all these either have or will soon have fully downloadable videos and music. Some people who use these products, even just on occasion will be affected. It's like dial up and their charge per minute crap. That is one of the reasons that DSL caught on and eventually Cable internet. Shoot, even windows update can get some larger files... How many of you have emailed pictures or just received pictures or movies from loved ones? I'm sorry, but if this comes to fruition, a lot of people will be affected more than they think they will... It's just not a good idea from a public relations and marketing standpoint coming from a company that struggles with customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Tiered service doesn't sound too bad. Depending on the price difference and what happens if you exceed your alloted bandwidth for the month. I'm sure there would be an unlimited tier.

There are already tiers for speed.
    What has always bugged me though is that they take the good, more popular channels, and purposely divide/allot them on the various other tiers with a bunch of crappy channels you don't want. To get the good, you have to take the bad.

At some point in the future, and the way the technology is going, they'll be little need for DVDs, as far as purchasing/rental, when you'll be able to purchase/download/record right over your TV.

Everything is going to become PPV.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-19-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What has always bugged me though is that they take the good, more popular channels, and purposely divide/allot them on the various other tiers with a bunch of crappy channels you don't want. To get the good, you have to take the bad.

At some point in the future, and the way the technology is going, they'll be little need for DVDs, as far as purchasing/rental, when you'll be able to purchase/download/record right over your TV.

Everything is going to become PPV.
    Internet providers have been trying to find a way to charge more for providing access to popular sites for a while now. They'd like to charge you for letting you go to abc.com or nbc.com and letting you download your favorite show. They'd also like to charge websites for giving them access to you. It's no so much as Roy said, where they're afraid of people watching TV over the internet and ditching the cable TV. It's just that they're going to try to get as big a cut of the pie as they can find and this is one way to get their cut of the pie.

The problem, as I see it, is that it severely inhibits one part of the internet that has always been its big drawing point. The internet has always been a place where people can put content out there cheaply and get it to a potentially huge audience. If ISPs like Time Warner start charging customers based on usage and content providers based on the amount of hits they receive, then the only ones who will be able to survive long-term are the providers who can attract a lot of advertisers up front to cover the added cost of attracting hits. The internet will suddenly become a place dominated by the big media players. Free projects like Wikipedia might become a thing of the past or else littered with ads.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?