Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet connectivity problem

Internet connectivity problem

My internet connectivity is normally fine. However, when I attempt to download a heavy volume of data at the same time, it will die. For example, I've been watching Lost on ABC.com in HD lately and it's killed my connection. In the past it's died when I've tried loading several movie trailers at the same time. I have to restart my computer in order to get online again. I know that my router isn't the problem because this problem still occurs even when I plug straight into the modem. I also know that it's not a provider issue because neither of my roommates have this problem. My connection is quite functional for the most part, but I'm getting pretty agitated by this problem. I've got an ASUS P5NSLI motherboard with the latest LAN drivers installed. Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem may be?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Internet connectivity problem

Watching Lost is the key to the problem.

Such a horrible show, your computer is punishing you.

All kidding aside, I would try something simple like deleting temporary internet flies and clearing the cache.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The issue might be caused by packet-shaping at your ISP. Basically it means that they prioritize Internet traffic by type and packets of traffic that they deem less important will take longer to be delivered. Movie trailers might be deemed less important than the results of a Google search, for instance. If you're on a campus broadband connection, this is very likely being done to preserve bandwidth for everyone.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The issue might be caused by packet-shaping at your ISP. Basically it means that they prioritize Internet traffic by type and packets of traffic that they deem less important will take longer to be delivered. Movie trailers might be deemed less important than the results of a Google search, for instance. If you're on a campus broadband connection, this is very likely being done to preserve bandwidth for everyone.
    I don't live on campus. I tried watching Lost on my roommates' computers. It didn't kill their connections. Very strange.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I have a similar problem trying to play xbox live...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    My internet connectivity is normally fine. However, when I attempt to download a heavy volume of data at the same time, it will die. For example, I've been watching Lost on ABC.com in HD lately and it's killed my connection. In the past it's died when I've tried loading several movie trailers at the same time. I have to restart my computer in order to get online again. I know that my router isn't the problem because this problem still occurs even when I plug straight into the modem. I also know that it's not a provider issue because neither of my roommates have this problem. My connection is quite functional for the most part, but I'm getting pretty agitated by this problem. I've got an ASUS P5NSLI motherboard with the latest LAN drivers installed. Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem may be?

Check this to make sure that your browser or connection settings is not disconnecting during times that you may be idle longer than you think, even if your downloading etc.

On the browser tool bar go to “tools”
    Then to Internet options click
    Click on the “connections tab”
    Click on the “settings tab”
    Brings you to My ISP settings
    Click on the advanced tab
    Uncheck the boxes for “disconnect if idle” and “disconnect when my connection may no longer be needed” box
    Back to My ISP settings click properties
    Click on the “options” tab
    Set the idle time before hanging up to “never”

Since we are talking computer problems, let me relate one I have been having for the last few months. I have a HP Pavilion desktop.

Every morning, at about the same time (around 6 AM), my computer just shuts off. And when it does it I have no problem whatsoever powering it back on. It then runs fine the rest of the time.

I've talked with a HP tech rep about it, and we've checked everything we can, and can't seem to isolate any obvious problem. He had me right click on My Computer, then in System Properties go to the Advanced tab and then into Settings in Startup and Recovery. Then under System Failure, make sure Automatic Restart is unchecked (which it is).

I have PC Doctor and have ran thorough tests on everything from the motherboard, hard drives, memory, CPU, etc. Everything passes fine.

And suggestions?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Sounds like something is scheduled to run at that time and it causes a reboot, virus/spyware scanner perhaps?
    Go Gators!

Neither one is set up to run on a schedule. And I don't have anything set upon the Task Mgr either.

And the computer doesn't reboot. It powers down.

Could be a motherboard or power supply problem.

I was thinking power supply, but at about the same time everyday? weird.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I was thinking power supply, but at about the same time everyday? weird.
    Yeah. Could be running some kind of program at the same time every day that sucks up too much power or something. I don't know what would do that, though. An awful lot of prebuilt systems come with just barely adequate power supplies, so maybe if some kind of PCI card was added and some program starts up, causing a fan to run, thus overburdening the power supply. That's a pretty convoluted theory though... :

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Since we are talking computer problems, let me relate one I have been having for the last few months. I have a HP Pavilion desktop.

Every morning, at about the same time (around 6 AM), my computer just shuts off. And when it does it I have no problem whatsoever powering it back on. It then runs fine the rest of the time.

I've talked with a HP tech rep about it, and we've checked everything we can, and can't seem to isolate any obvious problem. He had me right click on My Computer, then in System Properties go to the Advanced tab and then into Settings in Startup and Recovery. Then under System Failure, make sure Automatic Restart is unchecked (which it is).

I have PC Doctor and have ran thorough tests on everything from the motherboard, hard drives, memory, CPU, etc. Everything passes fine.

And suggestions?
    Programs to
    - Accessories
    - System Tools
    - Scheduled Tasks
    See if anything is scheduled to run

Other wise I don't know unless it is "Buckeye" huls or crums, left over "Brownie" mix sprinklings, "Reds" hots residue or mole hair revenge.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-19-2008 at 03:33 PM.

I have nothing on their scheduled to run.

And I've ran PC Doctor a couple of times and checked everything from the motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drives, etc.

And I've not added any PCI cards and any type of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have nothing on their scheduled to run.

And I've ran PC Doctor a couple of times and checked everything from the motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drives, etc.

And I've not added any PCI cards and any type of hardware.
    Anything clicked on in "Power Options" are they all set to "never" ? in the control panel.

Turn Off Ads?