Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Boston...

Moving to Boston...

Just found out I will be moving from Chicago to Cambridge, MA at the end of the summer to start a two-year graduate program. Any advice from the Bostonians out there about the city in general or Cambridge in particular?

I should probably get a car, right?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving to Boston...

I feel sorry for you

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Just found out I will be moving from Chicago to Cambridge, MA at the end of the summer to start a two-year graduate program. Any advice from the Bostonians out there about the city in general or Cambridge in particular?

Oh, yeah. Driving's a snap there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Driving here's not bad. You don't really need a car if you live in Cambridge and don't need to travel outside the area often. The Red Line provides easy access to Boston and the immediate surrounding areas. Zipcar is actually a pretty good alternative in that scenario if for no other reason that parking is expensive and not exactly plentiful.

I prefer the South End to Cambridge myself. You're looking at about $1500-2k a month to rent a nice place there, but there are fantastic bars, shopping, restaurants, cultural attractions, transportation (T) and other entertainment options (read: Fenway Park) all within reasonable walking distance. And Harvard Square is probably an easy bus ride across the Mass Ave. bridge and then down to Harvard from there (not sure as I never needed to get to Cambridge, but Orange Line to Red Line will get you there simply enough anyway).

Dress warm.

I'm sure you will, but you have to hit up Fenway.

Not that I'm a Red Sox fan obviously, but Fenway is just an incredible atmosphere.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Buy a Yankees cap. I hear they adore that team.

And be sure to scream that you love them in a crowded place. Applause should follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Driving here's not bad. You don't really need a car if you live in Cambridge and don't need to travel outside the area often. The Red Line provides easy access to Boston and the immediate surrounding areas. Zipcar is actually a pretty good alternative in that scenario if for no other reason that parking is expensive and not exactly plentiful.

I prefer the South End to Cambridge myself. You're looking at about $1500-2k a month to rent a nice place there, but there are fantastic bars, shopping, restaurants, cultural attractions, transportation (T) and other entertainment options (read: Fenway Park) all within reasonable walking distance. And Harvard Square is probably an easy bus ride across the Mass Ave. bridge and then down to Harvard from there (not sure as I never needed to get to Cambridge, but Orange Line to Red Line will get you there simply enough anyway).

Dress warm.
    Thanks. And as far as the last part goes, coming from Chicago I'm sure it won't be a problem.
    Go BLUE!!!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Congrats. Which school? What field of study?

Feel free to PM me, and I doubt M2 would mind either.

I lived in Somerville the past 3 years (bordering Cambridge to the East and Northeast), and know Cambridge really well.

Your choice of where to live might very much be dictated by whether you want to have a car, how much you're into biking/the outdoors, etc., where you're going to school, whether you have a dog, and how much $$ you have.
    Stick to your guns.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Driving here's not bad.
    You're kidding right?

Boston drivers were named the worst drivers in America for a reason. The state is about to go through an insurance crisis, because so many of the drivers are uninsurable due to their inability to drive safely. Plus, it's compounded by the fact that many of the roads are too narrow for the amount of traffic. The city wasn't built for cars.

The only upside, is due to "trial by fire" I became a much more confident and aggressive driver, as I had to drive for my job. That benefits me now in more civilized environs.

It's tougher to learn to drive in Boston than even NYC, because at least NYC is on a grid.

p.s. The guy turning left at a stoplight has the unofficial right-of-way.... Seriously.
    Stick to your guns.

Going to HBS?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You'll love the traffic circles. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about those.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

(oops)
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-25-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

oops
    Last edited by MWM; 01-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Boston drivers were named the worst drivers in America for a reason.
    By people who can't drive. We weed out the weak.

But, as you noted, driving is a lousy way to get anywhere quickly in this town. There's also no parking anywhere and you usually have to pay extra on top of an already high rent if you want a place with parking. Add in the insurance premiums and a car is just one big, expensive headache in Boston.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

My sister lives in Somerville and from my time there I agree that you don't need a car. She and her husband kept one and sold the other when they moved to Boston, and both of them take the T everywhere. The only time I've driven in Boston was to go to Foxboro, but even then we could have gotten there without a car.

Rent will be expensive, considerably more than in Chicago. Negotiate with the landlord; most of the private real estate owners (read: non-corporate) in metro Boston are willing to bargain. My sister was paying $500 per month less than her neighbor for the same basic floor plan at one point--simply because she asked. She has never paid the listed rent for a place there. Now BUYING real estate is a different matter entirely!

I second the motion of visiting Fenway. Taking the stadium tour there was one of the most enjoyable baseball experiences I've had.

Turn Off Ads?